Science can Cause Stress and Anxiety

Farid

Hi,

Most of you probably know by now, that science can be stressful and can cause anxiety. Some of the things it can cause anxiety and stress about are sex, food, exercise, contact with surroundings, and being close to people, not socializing with people and etc. 

Anything can be stressful and cause anxiety. People aren't all alike. 

Science removes ignorance, which is a leading cause of stress and anxiety in intelligent humans. Science explains what we observe, and I suppose some people prefer the universe they've made up in their heads.

44 minutes ago, Farid said:

science can be stressful and can cause anxiety

So can math. And writing. And kids. And storms. And flying. And driving. And insects. And children. And in-laws. And frizzy hair. And indigestion. And covid. And authoritarian leaders. And conspiracy theories. And stupid posts. The list is endless, but sure. Let’s pick on science for helping us to remove our own biases and discard demonstrably flawed ideas.

I clearly mentioned children twice. Must be a Freudian thing, or maybe all this science is just stressing me out too much 

Edited by iNow

There are many phobias:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phobia

"A phobia is a type of anxiety disorder defined by a persistent and excessive fear of an object or situation.[1] Phobias typically result in a rapid onset of fear and are present for more than six months.[1] Those affected will go to great lengths to avoid the situation or object, to a degree greater than the actual danger posed.[1] If the object or situation cannot be avoided, they experience significant distress.[1] Other symptoms can include fainting, which may occur in blood or injury phobia,[1] and panic attacks, which are often found in agoraphobia.[6] Around 75% of those with phobias have multiple phobias.[1]"

Many teenagers and students are known to have "lessonphobia"/"sciencephobia"/"knowledgephobia"/"schoolphobia".. ;)

Wow. There is even Wikipedia article about it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_refusal

"The literature estimates that rates of school refusal occurs in 1–2% of the general population, and in 5–15% of clinic-referred youth samples.[8][7][9]"

BTW, I like modern treatment to acrophobia by wearing VR googles and playing simulation/game like this one:

(I have no idea how modern teenager can have acrophobia if he or she is playing modern 3D computer games.. )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acrophobia#Treatment

8 hours ago, Farid said:

Hi,

Most of you probably know by now, that science can be stressful and can cause anxiety. Some of the things it can cause anxiety and stress about are sex, food, exercise, contact with surroundings, and being close to people, not socializing with people and etc. 

People got anxious about those things before science was in widespread use.
So science can't be the cause of the anxiety.

1 hour ago, John Cuthber said:

I think an emotional approach to life's problems causes far more anxiety than an intellectual one. Many folks get upset because they have no explanations for the things that happen to them, and we know that it's difficult to reason with someone who reaches conclusions based on how they feel. Being able to trust the explanations you believe in inspires confidence and comfort, so you're right, science can't be the cause of anxiety. Maybe lazy thinking causes stress and anxiety.

1 hour ago, John Cuthber said:

People got anxious about those things before science was in widespread use.

Indeed, it's like saying "understanding the cause of pain, leads to pain", I'm not saying that is never true, but a certain amount of psychosis must be involved.

In a very naive sense, sure. Learning the top 100 things that can kill you might add stress; instead of a generic knowledge that things could kill you, now you know specifics (plus, people are bad at assessing risk, especially when it's small). But this knowledge means you can take steps to reduce the risk of these things killing you, so ultimately this represents less stress overall.

10 hours ago, Farid said:

Where do vague talking points show up on the list? 

11 hours ago, Farid said:

Most of you probably know by now,

One of the best ways to filter your ideas scientifically is to remove assumptions like this. It will force you to ask more questions before you jump to unsupported conclusions. 

1 hour ago, swansont said:

Where do vague talking points show up on the list? 

I can use them to show that science REMOVES anxiety and stress.

Science has explained a LOT of things we didn't know about sex, and even given us medications that improve the various functions of sex. Science even recommends we remove stress for better sex.

Watch some Alton Brown to find out how cooking food can be made stress-free through science. Science has also increased the yield from farming and animal husbandry to a level that sustains billions of us. 

Science developed machines to help us increase the effectiveness of exercise, spending less time on better results. Sports medicine is an ever-expanding field. 

There's nothing better for measuring our contact with our surroundings than science. Observation is at the heart of the methodology. 

How else can we figure out better ways to maintain human contact during a pandemic than with science? Isn't this ultimately an argument that if we didn't know anything, we'd have no cause to worry about anything? Which causes more stress and anxiety, making informed decisions or guessing what to do next?

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/13/2020 at 10:36 PM, Phi for All said:

Anything can be stressful and cause anxiety. People aren't all alike. 

Science removes ignorance, which is a leading cause of stress and anxiety in intelligent humans. Science explains what we observe, and I suppose some people prefer the universe they've made up in their heads.

Philosophy causes stress and anxiety too. Existential depression as well. 

Philosophy seeks to remove ignorance but I can safely say that some philosophers also prefer the universe they've made up in their heads. Metaphysics is full of ignorant and depressing mumbo jumbo, usually born from misunderstandings of language. It's not that metaphysics doesn't have it's place in context, it's just that it has a habit of making mountains out of molehills.

I don't know about you, but I often find it difficult to speak to an old man who's standing on a molehill, pretending it's a mountain and that he can't hear me, even after I figuratively hit him with the spade I used to dig up and get rid of the mole hill. 

As for OP

On 9/13/2020 at 10:21 PM, Farid said:

Hi,

Life causes stress and anxiety. Science can reduce said anxiety by putting food on the table and a roof over our head. As can any worthwhile endeavour and hell even some of the non-worthwhile ones can do that. The ignorant want stuff after all. 

even though anything requires to be stressed (i.e. difficult) it does not mean that it won't be achieved.

and defining it as "stressful" is relative. to whom is it stressful?

in turkish there is one word ,that might succintly express a solution for the case.

"(there is no problem about how the mountain is high),  even if it is too much high, the way passes over it/mountain.

mm one another sentence  is (being said that the owner of this sentence was originally Albert Einstein is) that : "Difficult does not exist ,(but), to be unready does exist".

Edited by ahmet
spelling errors,missing words,paranteheses etc.