Time travel

nae

Do you guys think it would be possible. I personally think humans won't be able to make it possible, but maybe if there is a super advanced race. Be it the whole body travelling through time or the consciousness travelling to another version of the body? This is just a hypothetical question. I also want to know what would you do if you had the power to time travel?

(I think this would be more suitable in the trash can) XD

1 minute ago, nae said:

(I think this would be more suitable in the trash can) XD

I don't think so. It is an honest question and it makes sense. The only issues that I see are that it's been asked before in these forums (if I remember correctly) and that rather than Other Sciences it may belong in Speculations or Relativity.

I will pass on the physics part and concentrate on your question:

7 minutes ago, nae said:

I also want to know what would you do if you had the power to time travel?

That's easy. I'd go back to my youth and become the best inside-trader of all time, become rich and do all within my power to make Donald Trump go bust.

Then I'd go to Hitler's teenage years and make him addicted to pot.

Then...

You get the idea.

53 minutes ago, joigus said:

I'd go back to my youth and become the best inside-trader of all time, become rich and do all within my power to make Donald Trump go bust.

You would then have lots of money in your youth, would not try very hard in your Physics/Math studies, drop out and never invent a time machine.
So you would not be able to go to the past and become a rich youth.
So you would become a great Physicist and invent a time machine, go to the past and get rich.
But then there would not be a time machine.
But then there would.
And so on, and so on ( groundhog day time loop ? )

Damn, I hate paradoxes ...

37 minutes ago, MigL said:

Damn, I hate paradoxes ...

So do I. I have nothing against my grandpas. I never met any of them. Chances are even if I met them I'd leave them alone. Corolary: Einstein-Rosen bridges are possible in my world-line. ;) 

Just to be useful:

https://www.scienceforums.net/search/?q="time travel"&quick=1&type=forums_topic

10 hours ago, nae said:

I also want to know what would you do if you had the power to time travel?

I would do two things:

1. Never use this ability, because I understand that even minute interventions (such as my mere presence in another time) can mushroom into unpredictable and undesirable consequences over time (ref the Butterfly effect). History is the mother of all complex and chaotic systems, so it wouldn't be wise to mess with it.
2. I would do everything in my power to ensure that no one else ever finds out that this ability exists, and that I have it. I am convinced that humanity has not reached the level of maturity required to responsibly wield this kind of power (we don't even seem to be handling far more mundane powers very well) - this could too easily be turned into a dangerous and unpredictable weapon, or at least cause havoc through unintentional misuse. So I would try to destroy all outwards traces of this knowledge, and never speak of it again. 

The question is of course if a single person should be able to make this kind of call on behalf of all humanity...but I know I would!

4 hours ago, Sensei said:

You are cruel..

...just give him passport to art university..

LOL.

I'm not sure that would help:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adolf_Hitler#Early_adulthood_in_Vienna_and_Munich

Part of the problem seems to have been that he was a frustrated artist.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paintings_by_Adolf_Hitler