Black Hole Plasma Conditions Created on Earth – Laser Briefly Uses 1,000 Times the Electric Consumption of the Entire Globe

Curious layman

Scientists at Osaka University use extremely intense laser pulses to create magnetized-plasma conditions comparable to those surrounding a black hole, study that may help explain the still mysterious X-rays that can be emitted from some celestial bodies.

https://scitechdaily.com/black-hole-plasma-conditions-created-on-earth-laser-briefly-uses-1000-times-the-electric-consumption-of-the-entire-globe/

3 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Laser pulse with "the energy from about 3 peanuts"* doesn't make quite the same impact.

To me ,the impressive thing isn't the energy, but switching it on and off so quickly. :-)

* or something like that.

I agree. Much about the accomplishment is impressive, but they choose to hype something that's rather mundane.

I'm now wondering what the least "hyped" version of putting that in context might be.

How about "very expensive laser pulse dissipates as much energy as I do while sitting on the sofa for a minute or two."?

Maybe "laser pulse equivalent to about half a teaspoonful of petrol"

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.