Massive Black Hole Collision

MigL

Seems a massive ( record breaking 142 Ms ) Black Hole was created from the collision of a 66 Ms and 85 Ms BHs.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/discovery-of-record-breaking-black-hole-collision-surprises-astronomers

( amazing what you find when you go check tomorrow's weather )

Published today from researchers at UBC.
( that's close to Mordred's stomping grounds )

edit
I guess now muruep00 knows how supermassive BHs grow in galactic centers, without the need for negative energy, or time transformations.

Edited by MigL

38 minutes ago, MigL said:

Seems a massive ( record breaking 142 Ms ) Black Hole was created from the collision of a 66 Ms and 85 Ms BHs.

Does that mean the mass of 9 sun sized stars was radiated away in the merger?

I guess so according to Wikipeia

The first observation of stellar mass binary black holes merging was performed by the LIGO detector.[14][21][22] As observed from Earth, a pair of black holes with estimated masses around 36 and 29 times that of the Sun spun into each other and merged to form a 62 solar mass black hole (approximate) on 14 September 2015, at 09:50 UTC.[23] Three solar masses were converted to gravitational radiation in the final fraction of a second, with a peak power 3.6×1056 ergs/second (200 solar masses per second),[14] which is 50 times the total output power of all the stars in the observable universe.[24] The merger took place at 1.3 billion light years from Earth[21], and therefore 1.3 billion years ago. The observed signal is consistent with the predictions of numerical relativity.[2][3][4]

Edited by moth
found an answer

53 minutes ago, moth said:

Does that mean the mass of 9 sun sized stars was radiated away in the merger?

Yes sir, it does.

nd is the reason its gravitational waves can cause interference in LIGO and Virgo, from 12.8 billion LY away.

Edited by MigL

The energy levels released in the merger are enough to accelerate the center of mass of the black hole up to 2000 km/sec.
Apparently it's because gravitational waves transfer momentum like a photon. Do they attenuate when passing through a field of massive bodies?

The power levels involved make me feel a bit like Maxwell's Daemon. If only I knew how to open the door to the hot side of the cylinder I'd be set for life.

Nine solar masses instantly converted to gravitational energy; I don't think you wanna pen that door.
Detectable quadrupole stretching and compressing at 12.8 billion LY distance; you don't want to be anywhere close to that.

Don't want to go digging through Gravitation; anyone know a quick and dirty way of calculating the magnitude of the quadrupole wave as a function  of radiation power ( the gravitational quadrupole equation based on the change of the quadrupole moment, Einstein 1918, is a little unwieldly ).

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.