Trouble finding a job due to lack of experience!

rblume

This catch 22 is screwing me over. I had some traumatic life circumstances get in the way during my college experience, thus preventing me from getting undergrad research in. I've had one interview in two months and it's starting to get very discouraging. I really have a strong passion for the sciences and doing anything else like customer service or retail would drive me insane. 

I went through an experience that reminds me of yours, so I understand. Some jobs seemed completely brain-dead to me. I would add selling insurance to your list, or selling anything, AAMOF. Well, don't do them, unless you absolutely need to. There must be a reason why you have that instinct. There might be other jobs. If you're good at teaching, try tutoring kids to keep science alive in your head while you make some extra money. Maybe jobs on offer are not in science, but there are other possibilities with more room for a certain creativity, using your analytic skills, etc., which is more science-like. And, as @Curious layman says, don't give up on studying and developing your intellect, it always pays off.

Science is not just a way to make a living; it's an instrument to understand other people, your own life, the workings of absolutely everything. It transforms your life because it transforms the way you look at the world. That's my advice for what it's worth.

Your difficulties might also be related to the current Coronavirus situation.
There is little incentive to hire people if most economies are at a standstill.

Hopefully you'll see some interest from employers once the situation starts to change.

4 hours ago, joigus said:

And, as @Curious layman says, don't give up on studying and developing your intellect, it always pays off.

Even after you find employment.
You work to survive; you learn because you like it.

Edited by MigL