The Greatest President in History of All Time!

Airbrush

• 2 weeks later...
36 minutes ago, Deiparous said:

I just can't believe why Trump is still in office right now with so many issues plauging US right now.

It's a moment in time, that's all. Every country has ups and downs, Europe isn't a bed of roses either at the moment. Hopefully future gernerations will look back and comment on the changes in society that came about, and how much better off people were because of it. 

6 minutes ago, Curious layman said:

Hopefully future gernerations will look back and comment on the changes in society that came about, and how much better off people were because of it. 

Or a future Gibbon will write of The Decline and Fall of the West.

9 hours ago, Deiparous said:

I just can't believe why Trump is still in office right now with so many issues plauging US right now.

Decades of gerrymandered districts, voter suppression, power concentrated in the hands of only 2 parties, tribal us/them indoctrination where people vote party over person or policy, plus massive, unlimited, anonymous inflows of money into politics has allowed the craziest and most extreme candidates to “represent” us.

The Republican Party saw a wave of extreme representatives come to power after the Great Recession with the anger of the Tea Party movement, has spent years denying basic facts on topics like evolution and climate change and tax cuts paying for themselves and all of that fertilized the ground for conspiracy thinking and treating their opinions as if they are equivalent to other people’s facts.

This led then to an opening where the entire party experienced a hostile takeover in the 2016 election where Republicans were too afraid follow their conscience, to speak out against Trump, or to vote in favor of his impeachment. They put personal power over health of the nation and correctly calculated that their own voters liked Trump more than they liked them so they needed to fall in line or leave.

Now it’s mostly just a cult who thinks people on the left are subhuman garbage in need of a bullet to the face and these divisions are being actively stoked by state actors like Russia, China, and Iran and are being further amplified by US citizens themselves who have plugged into QAnon and other actual fake news sources. 

I've been 'itchin' for a good political discussion
( Politics Forum has been pretty slow, even with Ten oz's return )
But you give me nothing to argue with in the above, iNow.

Bang on analysis of the sad state of American politics.

Not that I want to see the Democrats lose the upcoming election, but D Trump has certainly given them enough 'Ammunition' in the last 4 years.
They seem to be running an "I'm not D Trump" campaign.
When are they going to start making him account for his record ?
No-one even mentions the fact that he was impeached for collaborating with foreign powers who are again trying to influence the election.
Or that Iran is now a great threat because of his provocative actions and the fact they are building a deliverable Nuclear bomb again due to his unilateral dissolution of an agreement not to. Nor to his contempt of institutions and countries, like NATO, Europe and North America, traditional allies of the US for at least the last century, and instead fawning over dictators like V Putin and  Kim Jung Un.
And the hundreds of mis-steps that have led to the death of 200 000 people ( so far ) due to Coronavirus.

When are Democrats going to start throwing all the crap that has made the US a laughing stock, in the faces of his supporters ?
There are only two months left; if he wins again, there won't be much complaining, just crying.

Edited by MigL

47 minutes ago, MigL said:

I

When are Democrats going to start throwing all the crap that has made the US a laughing stock, in the faces of his supporters ?
There are only two months left; if he wins again, there won't be much complaining, just crying.

If he wins, I propose we ban discussion here on US politics until November 2024,

Edited by StringJunky

1 hour ago, MigL said:

It’s been happening for almost 4 years. That has changed the mind of some, but no matter what gets shared or “thrown in the faces of his supporters” his approval rating and support from them remains steady at 42-45%. 

3AB48203-2ED4-44C0-8B45-5A9272018F43.jpeg

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

Quite the contrary. Do we need to repeat what we've been saying for the last 4 years? :)

It was a dig on the assumption that things will be better after a second Trump presidency. But to be fair, even if Biden wins, I am not sure how much is ultimately salvagable. Social media for example has succeeded in creating custom-made alternative realities for folks, ultimately disruption any discourse one might have.  If we cannot agree on what is real, how can we agree on how to deal with issues? 

I fear that in the long run folks will be able to fully manipulate the way we consume and communicate information to such a degree that democracy becomes nothing more than a meme. And right now we see that certain actors such as China and Russia have been very successful at this and especially right-wing political groups are gleefully embracing it. 

14 minutes ago, CharonY said:

It was a dig on the assumption that things will be better after a second Trump presidency. But to be fair, even if Biden wins, I am not sure how much is ultimately salvagable. Social media for example has succeeded in creating custom-made alternative realities for folks, ultimately disruption any discourse one might have.  If we cannot agree on what is real, how can we agree on how to deal with issues? 

I fear that in the long run folks will be able to fully manipulate the way we consume and communicate information to such a degree that democracy becomes nothing more than a meme. And right now we see that certain actors such as China and Russia have been very successful at this and especially right-wing political groups are gleefully embracing it. 

Right. Gotcha. Yes,  we are in an emerging age of i(mis)nformation wars, which a new president can't change much. The main social technology groups are going to get a lot of scrutiny in an attempt to manage it.

Edited by StringJunky

10 hours ago, MigL said:

Technically, you're right.
Dr Zaius, member of the Ape National Assembly, Minister of Science and Chief Defender of the Faith, was an orangutan.
Don't know what role gibbons played in their society.

Orangutans, gorillas, and chimpanzees were the apes we saw, and were all "greater" apes, while gibbons belong to the "lesser" apes. Maybe the lesser ape species didn't survive. Or maybe they had their own separate communities.

1 hour ago, CharonY said:

I fear that in the long run folks will be able to fully manipulate the way we consume and communicate information to such a degree that democracy becomes nothing more than a meme.

Not to add to your fears, but the rapidly advancing technology of deep fakes will take this particular problem a few orders of magnitude higher. We won’t even be able to trust what we see and hear with our own eyes and ears. 

https://www.brookings.edu/research/is-seeing-still-believing-the-deepfake-challenge-to-truth-in-politics/

8 hours ago, CharonY said:

I think a lot of people mistakenly assume media is already policed to a greater degree than it is. That laws in place for false advertising and journalistic licensing ensure a reasonable amount of truth in anything broadly circulated. This assumption of protection contributes to the problem as it promotes confidence in the  information seen. At a minimum the govt should strive to implement the sort of regulations people mistakenly assume already exist.

For example ads used to monetize YouTube videos are clearly labelled as Ads and even include timers letting one know how long the Ad will last. It creates a sense that there is a clear delineation between advertising content and others types of content. However there is not. In execution and impact there is no meaning difference in advertising between a something labelled as an Ad and content that serves the same purpose. YouTube fitness videos as an easy example. A video will have Ads for some supplement or whatever attached. Then separately the video itself will be of people who have sponsorships to promote particular products. So one clicks on a video thinking they will learn proper squatting form, knowing skip the Ads, then watch what basically might be a deceptively produced informerical for squatting accessories. 

I think people should be able to discern between professional and non professional, sponsored and non sponsored, content. If a YouTube fitness personality receives money from a company (regardless what they claim that money is for) that info should be clearly identified just as Ads are. People should be aware they are not seeing unbiased information. Likewise for professional accounts on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook etc, etc. Asking social media giants to determine what is real and what is fake is too tall an ask. Their algorithms only know what is clicked on and viewed. Not what's true or false. However asking the Social Media giants to label professional accounts is easy. Alphabet Inc (Google) knows which YouTubers they are sending money to and can add revenue source disclosures that application process. I think knowing that the RNC, DNC, NRA, NAMBLA, Scientology, or whomever is paying the personality and or for the content viewed would make a big difference in how people view that content.