Measuring radiation help

I would like to set up an experiment to measure radiation. I am not sure if what I want to do is possible so I am looking for help to find out if it is possible.

1) I need to use a small block of material to partially shield some form of detectable radiation.

2) I need to measure how much radiation is going through the material.

3) (This is the important part...) I need to be able to "count" the radiation, to determine if there is a difference of 1 billionth if I rotate the block of material 180 degrees.

I am guessing the 1 billionth of a change is probably very difficult. I am hoping I can use time in my favor, ie. run the experiment for weeks to build up enough data that 1 billionth of a difference would be detectable to a reliable certainty.

I am hoping to keep the experiment under $2000 to purchase equipment if possible. My initial research points towards a scintillation counter but I could be totally wrong.

Any nudges in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

There is a lot more to this experiment than I am explaining, so please don't judge the experiment based on the limited information above. My background is not in Physics, I am merely a fan that reads as mush as I can whenever I am able. If I could do life over again though... 

• 3 months later...
On 8/29/2020 at 12:30 PM, Scott Richards said:

3) (This is the important part...) I need to be able to "count" the radiation, to determine if there is a difference of 1 billionth if I rotate the block of material 180 degrees.

I am guessing the 1 billionth of a change is probably very difficult. I am hoping I can use time in my favor, ie. run the experiment for weeks to build up enough data that 1 billionth of a difference would be detectable to a reliable certainty.

An understanding of statistics will be necessary 

1 hour ago, HallsofIvy said:

To block radiation, use a lead plate.

To measure radiation, use a geiger counter.

Lead attenuates. To suggest it blocks radiation could be misconstrued