Examples of Awesome, Unexpected Beauty in Nature

joigus

3 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

Thank you. It is a topic that has haunted me for years. To me, it's like trying to grab hold of smoke.

Even the present moment is not discreet, yet that’s the only place / only time we ever are / ever exist ✌️

3 minutes ago, iNow said:

Even the present moment is not discreet, yet that’s the only place / only time we ever are / ever exist ✌️

And yet our minds construct a temporal continuity, where we can still 'see' the near-past and 'look' into the near-future from the present. Clever bit of kit really, our brains. :)

7 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Thinking about the emergence thread running now and this topic:

potd-starlings_3541115k.jpg

1546779898_Birdemerging.PNG.e5e29f3e6f8b60754597f4bdd2b088f5.PNG

I wonder if everything we observe is a function of pareolalia, that allows us to turn the scene around us into discrete things that we can give names to and communicate them. I am considering the idea of emergence as an observer-dependent phenomenon, and that's why it's so hard for me to put my finger on. No thing is actually discrete per se, since everything is connected. Discreteness of things is perhaps just a mental construct that's not reflected in reality, like these murmurations.

That's a brilliant point. And kind of the direction I was trying to go when I pointed out on the thread about emergence that some apparently indisputably emergent concepts later appear as seemingly fundamental in another part of the theory, as if there was a POV-dependence that you cannot get rid of. I think this comment should be quoted in the other thread.

Edited by joigus

• 4 weeks later...

Yes. And my picture, being made with an unprofessional equipment, doesn't convey the whole beauty. Plus, the real thing has an extra effect being in fact three-dimensional. I was watching it until I ran out of air. (No problem at 3 m.)

They were crawling see floors long before Minoans. Hmmm...

They are very rare now. For an obvious reason, I think.

11 hours ago, Genady said:

Yes. And my picture, being made with an unprofessional equipment, doesn't convey the whole beauty. Plus, the real thing has an extra effect being in fact three-dimensional. I was watching it until I ran out of air. (No problem at 3 m.)

Is there any way that you could identify the species?

13 hours ago, Genady said:

That's called 'chatoyance'. You see it also in certain types of wood that has been finished to a high polish.

2 hours ago, joigus said:

Is there any way that you could identify the species?

Yes, I did. It has a beautiful and appropriate name, Voluta musica.

Here is Wikipedia article about it. BTW, this article doesn't list "my" island in their distribution. Also, it appears that my specimen was especially large, and at a more shallow depth.

Voluta musica - Wikipedia

(att. @StringJunky)

Edited by Genady

6 minutes ago, joigus said:

To those involved in this thread, please try to add some info about the thing. You don't have to write a PhD dissertation, a pointer would be enough.

Thank you.

The thing is, I don't think I can...

How can I describe the beauty of waking up?