Industrial chemical problem

ALVARO1

Hello,

I want to react NO with UREA to reduce NO whose reaction is:
2NO + CO (NH2) 2 + ½ O2--------------------->2N2 + CO2 + 2H2O

The fact is that instead of UREA I have used NH3 to make it easier, then the reaction would be the following:
2NO + 2NH3 + ½ O2--------------------> 2N2 + 3H2O

I know the mole fraction of NO which is 0.0003 and also that of 02 which is 0.01848 (Both in the gas phase since it is the gas produced from combustion). The question is, how much liquid NH3 do I have to use to reduce the maximum amount of NO.

Thank you very much in advance.

• 4 weeks later...
47 minutes ago, Aminmed said:

I think when you want to use liquid NH3, you have to write NH4OH in your reaction instead of NH3, and balance it again.

NH4OH pretty much does not exist.

I'm not sure how well the reaction of  NH3, NO and O2 will work without a catalyst

You need the same volume of ammonia (gas) as NO2.

And you need to know how much liquid ammonia expands on boiling and heating up to the temperature of the combustion gases.
The density of liquid ammonia is pressure and temperature dependent.
This isn't a simple calculation.

If you know the flow rate (in cubic metres per minute or something) and the temperature then you can use that to calculate the ammonia needed.

23 hours ago, Aminmed said:

I think when you want to use liquid NH3, you have to write NH4OH in your reaction instead of NH3, and balance it again.

He is talking about liquid ammonia not a solution of ammonia in water.

Edited by chenbeier
wrong typing

I want to use ammonia with a concentration of 29.4% in water.

I have tried to calculate it like this:

Normalized stoichiometric ratio
Indicates the actual amount of reagent required to achieve the NOx reduction goal. NSR is defined as:

NSR= Mol of NH3 equivalent injected / Mol NOx not controlled

Estimation of reagent consumption and tank size
Once the NSR is estimated, the reagent consumption rate, expressed in pounds per hour (lb / hr), can be calculated using:

image.png.b5a57362b3da5bb1937a05db940ab4a7.png

where Mreactive is the molecular weight of the reagent ( 17.07 grams per mole of ammonia) and MNOx is the molecular weight of NO2 (46.01 grams per mole). The molecular weight of NO2 is used because emissions of NOx, NOx in, are given in lb / MMBtu of NO2. For ammonia SRT=1

For ammonia, the mass flow ratio of the aqueous reagent solution is given by:

image.png.01d4ecb6679406f9062e0e3ddc27ad23.png

where Csol is the concentration of the aqueous reagent solution, by weight.

The volumetric flow rate of the solution, generally expressed in gallons per hour (gph), is given by:

image.png.106e7d03e1a5d5b14f1e11624a1f3656.png

Finally the volume of the tank is obtained

image.png.065fcd81c6ac227bea1ca5ec45aac5be.png

I do not know if with these calculations it can be calculated. If someone can tell me if I'm doing well, I would appreciate it.

Other problem I have is that I don't know how to calculate the heat supply "QB" from my reactor (boiler) to get the mass flow of the reactant. "QB" is the maximum potential release of the reactor (boiler)

Thank you so much in advance.