Hollow Earth? [Answered: OH, HELL NO!]

BorisBoris

!

Moderator Note

The rules require you to provide the information here and just post a link.

But I would remind you that this is a science forum, so I'm not sure why this thread should remain open. 

41 minutes ago, BorisBoris said:

What would be the gravity on the inner surface?

Zero, obviously.

Also, your link contains no evidence for the Earth being hollow. 

I posted the solution here:

Gravitational field at centre is zero. It can be solved by using Gauss' theorem. For interior solution spherical symmetry must be assumed. Goes down linearly with the distance to the centre.

I agree that there's nothing else remotely scientific in OP.

Any hollow in the Earth's interior would be crushed by the enormous pressure, obviously.

2 hours ago, BorisBoris said:

Possible explanation for the UFO phenomenon also https://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/08/26/mind-blowing-research-suggests-that-earth-could-actually-be-hollow/

Before you shut the door I would like to observe that it would be a truly remarkable occurrence if the Earth were found to have any substantial interior cavities at all.

Nothing to do with pictures  from children's fantasy books, m,easurements on the interaction of the Earth with thr rest of the solar system gives us a pretty precise weight (mass) for the Earth.
We have good measurements for the weight of the upper layers which shows that most of the mass in in the interior.

So all I can say is that if the interior is empty space,  that empty space must weigh one heck of a lot.

Edited by studiot

2 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

To be fair, while "zero" is the right answer, it's not obvious.

Fair. It should be well known; but it is an extremely surprising result.

4 hours ago, BorisBoris said:

It would also be interesting to know what the strength of the material would need to be. Presumably, far beyond anything that exists in nature.

4 hours ago, studiot said:

Before you shut the door I would like to observe that it would be a truly remarkable occurrence if the Earth were found to have any substantial interior cavities at all.

Nothing to do with pictures  from children's fantasy books, m,easurements on the interaction of the Earth with thr rest of the solar system gives us a pretty precise weight (mass) for the Earth.
We have good measurements for the weight of the upper layers which shows that most of the mass in in the interior.

So all I can say is that if the interior is empty space,  that empty space must weigh one heck of a lot.

Then there is the fact that seismic waves traveling through the Earth tell us a lot about its interior.

7 hours ago, Strange said:

It would also be interesting to know what the strength of the material would need to be. Presumably, far beyond anything that exists in nature.

I'm not actually sure about that.
Would it need to be stronger than a stone arch?

If it is x times thicker it weighs x times more, but there's x times more stuff to hold it up.

23 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

I'm not actually sure about that.
Would it need to be stronger than a stone arch?

If it is x times thicker it weighs x times more, but there's x times more stuff to hold it up.

That's a very good point. 

21 hours ago, joigus said:

Gravitational field at centre is zero. It can be solved by using Gauss' theorem. For interior solution spherical symmetry must be assumed. Goes down linearly with the distance to the centre.

I misunderstood the problem here. Of course you guys are right:

22 hours ago, Strange said:

Zero, obviously.

21 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

Gravitational field inside a shell of spherical mass is zero. For some reason I kept thinking of the "real" Earth, or an approximate model to it.

2 hours ago, joigus said:

On 8/21/2020 at 12:59 PM, John Cuthber said:

Gravitational field inside a shell of spherical mass is zero. For some reason I kept thinking of the "real" Earth, or an approximate model to it.

I agree about the spherical shell. But the central sun in OP the picture? Doesn't that have a gravitational pull?

image.png.3ff59c7fec3a61e2451cccc8cfa40e1e.png

Of course the picture has nothing to do with established science and I guess one could just claim something like "a (mythical/magical non-realistic) sun has zero mass and/or zero gravitational pull when hidden inside a planet".

Edited by Ghideon

16 minutes ago, Ghideon said:

I agree about the spherical shell. But the central sun in OP the picture? Doesn't that have a gravitational pull?

image.png.3ff59c7fec3a61e2451cccc8cfa40e1e.png

Of course the picture has nothing to do with established science and I guess one could just claim something like "a (mythical/magical non-realistic) sun has zero mass and/or zero gravitational pull when hidden inside a planet".

Oh, I hadn't seen that. Here's a higher resolution:

image.jpg?t=1584947189&size=Large

There are further inconsistencies, as the city of Shambala has been identified, for all I know, and geology and known biology easily debunk this picture. It's actually kind of a challenge to spot all the inconsistencies with known facts.

I find the comment "inner Earth to be re-drawn by someone who has been there! Thank you..." particularly endearing. ;) 

Edit. With this picture, we would have plants that grow in presumably inverted microgravity...

Edited by joigus
Addition

• 1 month later...

these antarctic particles only pass through the ice at the entrance (Arctic) and exit, that's a simple explanation. the only direction in which there are no obstacles, according to a model (except the core...)

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/bizarre-particles-keep-flying-out-of-antarcticas-ice-and-they-might-shatter-modern-physics/

Edited by BorisBoris

I guess we'll have to wait and see if other detectors ( other locations ) pick up these decays from hi energy particles.

Or maybe the Earth is like Swiss cheese and there are 'holes' everywhere :P .