What would it take to impede waves through a strait?

ScienceNostalgia101

6hXZJed.png

KtNScGq.png

So I'm just wondering, short of building an outright bridge, what would it take to impede waves travelling through a strait? If one were to build barriers around the strait, would floating ones be adequate, or would they have to extend all the way to the ocean floor? Would they need to be on both sides, or would just the one upstream from the highest waves be enough to block out those particular waves?

Edited by ScienceNostalgia101

Not enough information.

Required

flow regime (tidal ? river ? no flow ? etc).

ground and water bed geology and topography. (rock/ mud? cliffs? beaches? etc)

Navigation requirements through channel.

Why do you want to impede waves ?

Edited by studiot

At this point, it's a thought experiment, though if it goes anywhere I'm considering writing my representatives about this.

I want to impede waves because a lot of boats, even boats going through narrow straits in the ocean, encounter rough waves. I want to cut down on seasickness, but I don't know what will do the trick against ocean waves and ocean currents.

Does it depend on whether the water is shallow or deep?

34 minutes ago, ScienceNostalgia101 said:

I would imagine so. It will also depend on the wavelength of the waves. A channel will naturally impede some wavelengths already. 

1 hour ago, ScienceNostalgia101 said:

At this point, it's a thought experiment, though if it goes anywhere I'm considering writing my representatives about this.

I want to impede waves because a lot of boats, even boats going through narrow straits in the ocean, encounter rough waves. I want to cut down on seasickness, but I don't know what will do the trick against ocean waves and ocean currents.

I'm sorry this is a totally vague and unrealistic question, your answer to several very necessary detailed queries inadequate.

Of course depth matters, as does the variation of depth, which is why I asked about bed topography.

But there are many other vitally important factors which you have not addressed at all.

By the way, ships and boats can be (and some are) stabilised against wave action by suitable centre of gravity arrangements.

Edited by studiot

1 hour ago, ScienceNostalgia101 said:

The depth of the water is one of the most important things..

Watch this video:

To test different designs, you can use a 3D application with fluid simulation or create a real model but on a small scale like the author of the video above.