Preserving phospholipids for educational purposes?

What's the safest way to preserve a small amount of phospholipids that were (rather crudely) extracted from chicken egg yolks? I find that new learners in biochemistry are always more interested when they can see materials in their physical form rather than a structure on paper before an experiment is done, so I've decided to explore the idea of collecting biological chemicals. I'm thinking that I could use a little bit of solvent or preservative in a glass vial, but that's about all I've got so far.

What materials could you use to do this, and how long would it last before any undesired effects happen? If possible, I might collect multiple samples and store them in different solutions to see this for myself. All responses are welcome, thanks!

I am not entirely sure if it is really helpful, as most biological materials stored in a solvent will basically just look like the solvent (with a number of exceptions, I am sure, especially if they can be dyed). However, most are not stable for very long at room temperature and especially if some follow-up is intended they generally need to be froze. Some are amenable to freeze drying, but phospholipids tend to degrade during that process. But then it is not that you would be able to tell by looking at the sample.

On 8/9/2020 at 4:28 PM, CharonY said:

I am not entirely sure if it is really helpful, as most biological materials stored in a solvent will basically just look like the solvent (with a number of exceptions, I am sure, especially if they can be dyed). However, most are not stable for very long at room temperature and especially if some follow-up is intended they generally need to be froze. Some are amenable to freeze drying, but phospholipids tend to degrade during that process. But then it is not that you would be able to tell by looking at the sample.

This is good to know, thank you. Is there a better choice for materials found in eggs that can be used as a demo sample at room temperature? I'd be glad to try out something different.

1 hour ago, shinycarbohydrate said:

This is good to know, thank you. Is there a better choice for materials found in eggs that can be used as a demo sample at room temperature? I'd be glad to try out something different.

Which level of classes are you teaching?

• 2 weeks later...