NRA dissolvement

hoola

35 minutes ago, dimreepr said:

That doesn’t support the claim. (though “most rape victims, who don't know their attacker, are attacked out of the blue and usually from behind“ is  ambiguous. Is the claim that most rape victims don’t know their attacker, or of the small fraction that don’t, are attacked from behind? The former is debunked, the latter isn’t supported)

5 hours ago, drumbo said:

So she just loses in a physical altercation 99.9% of the time?

By shooting him.

Did the bit about 

9 hours ago, John Cuthber said:

(His is already drawn before she knows that the man or the gun exist.)

not display properly, or are you just acting like an idiot?
Reputation of -33 in just 75 posts hints at one of those...

As the troll has been placed on involuntary holiday, perhaps now we can return to the actual topic.

Will the New York effort to dissolve the NRA work or lead to any meaningful change? I'm not optimistic on that front. 

I don't think it will be the end of the NRA, but maybe it will be the beginning of the end.

It's not my field; are there any "competitor" organisation?
If there was an organisation that could say "We are a bit like the NRA, but less corrupt",  they might do well enough to take over.

Edited by John Cuthber

11 minutes ago, John Cuthber said:

It's not my field; are there any "competitor" organisation?

Lots.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/nra-alternatives/

16 minutes ago, iNow said:

Will the New York effort to dissolve the NRA work or lead to any meaningful change? I'm not optimistic on that front. 

I doubt there will be meaningful change but I'm hopeful that Second Amendment supporters will at least find an organization that actually advocates for what they believe in, including steps to reduce gun violence.

21 hours ago, Ten oz said:

I disagree with this axiom. Events over the last couple years have taken us beyond what most reasonable people would have considered the travel range.

Perhaps you're forgetting the history of what reasonable people can be persuaded to accept; Goebels and his ilk, are very good at the job. 

While I do doubt/hope Americas travel is unlikely to be quite so extreme on this swing, I do think there's more travel left.

22 hours ago, zapatos said:

Do you have a citation for that? I'm surprised anyone would even collect such details.

On reflection, that was a stupid claim, sorry I was distracted... 

19 hours ago, zapatos said:

So the NRA gets the choice of who to invest in, my guess is???

19 hours ago, zapatos said:

I doubt there will be meaningful change but I'm hopeful that Second Amendment supporters will at least find an organization that actually advocates for what they believe in, including steps to reduce gun violence.

not that...

While I hope you're right, I think they may attempt to use the second ammendment to reduce the importance of the first...

Edited by dimreepr

2 hours ago, dimreepr said:

Perhaps you're forgetting the history of what reasonable people can be persuaded to accept; Goebels and his ilk, are very good at the job. 

While I do doubt/hope Americas travel is unlikely to be quite so extreme on this swing, I do think there's more travel left.

History shows us their aren't limits. Many people, not me necessarily, think Humans as a species with eventually destroy/extinct ourselves. So subjectively we can get to a point where the pendulum can never return.

15 hours ago, Ten oz said:

History shows us their aren't limits. Many people, not me necessarily, think Humans as a species with eventually destroy/extinct ourselves. So subjectively we can get to a point where the pendulum can never return.

Well, until then let's enjoy the ride... 😊

• 1 month later...

If you can't beat em, join em! Change from within. That's what liberal and centrist gun owners are trying to do. 

Definitely agree with removing their tax exempt status. One way of expediting that is changing the demographic structure in the NRA until the voices crying out for reason drown out the ones that are crying out for selling fully automatic weapons of war onto civilian streets.

What are the older members gonna do? Leave the NRA and start a whites/Republicans only gun group? Please. They'd never get that organisation onto a tax exempt list if they are that unconstitutionally discriminatory.