Statistics career advice for an applied math/stats major?

Ravenclau

Hello everyone,,

I'm a college sophomore in an applied math BS program with a statistics concentration at a state university. I originally came from a computer science background, but I decided to pursue this after really enjoying my AP Stats class my senior year of high school. I'm currently taking my first mathematical statistics class and in an R job with a professor.

Even though I still enjoy the subject in the classroom, I'm not 100% informed on what's out there as for career options (leaning towards data science right now).

While still in college, how should one prepare for the best chance at a statistics job? Is going on to graduate school recommended in the field?

Thanks for your time!!

39 minutes ago, mathematic said:

Graduate school is always a good idea.  You need to factor personal needs, such as money, your age.

I disagree to this idea.

1 hour ago, Ravenclau said:

While still in college, how should one prepare for the best chance at a statistics job? Is going on to graduate school recommended in the field?

generally if you are hardworking one,then you will eventually find your way, but nevertheless if you work at a theoretical area, then to me, your chance is smaller.

I think computer science is more advantageous. 

if you have suitability to be a contemporary educator or scientist ,then you will already have option to learn by yourself.(i.e.: you will be able to continue (independently) in mathematics)

but in general ,the applied sciences are more advantegous to earn money than theoretic sciences.

one more addition: statistics is known as "applied mathematics" in some universities, applied mathematics cannot be limited with statistics though.

Edited by ahmet
addition

On 8/2/2020 at 2:26 PM, Ravenclau said:

Hello everyone,,

I'm a college sophomore in an applied math BS program with a statistics concentration at a state university. I originally came from a computer science background, but I decided to pursue this after really enjoying my AP Stats class my senior year of high school. I'm currently taking my first mathematical statistics class and in an R job with a professor.

Even though I still enjoy the subject in the classroom, I'm not 100% informed on what's out there as for career options (leaning towards data science right now).

Thanks for your time!!

There are a range of jobs that are often posted under titles such as data analyst, data scientist, data engineer and so on. They tend to represent different stages of the analysis process or different types of data and may require different levels of qualifications. Currently, data scientist is the top flavour in the realm of big data. Learning demonstrable skills such as R and python as well as some machine or deep learning methodologies can be a big advantage. In many cases the private sector wants to see a graduate level education but it depends on the level of the job. They often are fine with either statistics or computer science backgrounds, as long as you can demonstrate e.g. experience in the models they are interested in. 

With regard to job search, a big asset is demonstrating experience outside the class-room. So summer internship could be useful, but assisting in a research project (under a prof) using such skills would also work. The latter has the advantage that it might also help in finding a graduate position, if that is the desired path.