Simple confusing Physics question...

relindwto6

A block of 8 kg slides upward through a ramp (without friction) until it goes to rest. ¿What would be the maximum height achieved if the block had an initial velocity is 12 m/s ?

I´ve tried to solve it in different ways (Newton´s Second Law, Kinematics equations, etc) but I always get stuck. I´ve arrived to the conclusion that the problem is missing key information about the angle that the ramp forms with respect to the horizontal. Help!

2 hours ago, relindwto6 said:

A block of 8 kg slides upward through a ramp (without friction) until it goes to rest. ¿What would be the maximum height achieved if the block had an initial velocity is 12 m/s ?

I´ve tried to solve it in different ways (Newton´s Second Law, Kinematics equations, etc) but I always get stuck. I´ve arrived to the conclusion that the problem is missing key information about the angle that the ramp forms with respect to the horizontal. Help!

Have you tried resolving into horizontal and vertical components. ?

What actually stops the block ?

Note1 this is an alternative method to that offered by Ghideon.

Note2  It is always a good idea to post your working to help us help you.

Edited by studiot

One common mis-step in problems like this is to try and substitute numbers in too early. You haven’t shown your work, as studiot has suggested, so nobody can be sure if that’s the case.

The angle is not given because you can solve this without it (i.e. anywhere the angle might show up, it will cancel once you start simplifying the math, and with other methods it is absent altogether) The answer depends only on given quantities