I've Put Three People on my Ignore List

joigus

I've put three people on my ignore list in the last 48 hours.

Am I a bad person?

Could I have done otherwise? --> Possibility for a merging with Free Will discussion

Am I missing the fun of discussing non-sense? Am I giving others more than their fair share of gibberish to deal with?

Does this thread belong in Ethics?

Edited by joigus

Ignorance is easily treatable, but some willfully reject the cure. It's pointless wasting medicine on someone who spits it out.

Ignoring them might be best for YOUR health. If you can't reason with them, whatever you do, don't join them!

8 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Ignorance is easily treatable, but some willfully reject the cure. It's pointless wasting medicine on someone who spits it out.

Ignoring them might be best for YOUR health. If you can't reason with them, whatever you do, don't join them!

Because if you do they'll beat you with experience! :D

No, such an act does not make you a bad person. You are free to not interact with whomever you choose (except you can't ignore staff, IIRC). You do not owe anyone your attention. We're all here voluntarily.  

However, if this is because they are flouting the rules and not a matter of personal preference/style, we ask that you bring this to the attention of the staff via the report post function. 

I see nothing wrong with this. I have always been very happy to ignore/block people who are irredeemably stupid. On most forums, a large proportion of my ignore list end up being banned (even where I am not a moderator!). And I think my list of blocked people on Twitter is many, many times larger than the number of people I follow.

Incidentally, on at least one forum I know, it is explicitly against the rules to say that you have blocked a specific member. I think it s an unnecessarily provocative statement so I think that is a good rule. We don't have such a rule here, but I am guessing we would take a bit of a dim view of it.

54 minutes ago, Strange said:

Incidentally, on at least one forum I know, it is explicitly against the rules to say that you have blocked a specific member. I think it s an unnecessarily provocative statement so I think that is a good rule. We don't have such a rule here, but I am guessing we would take a bit of a dim view of it.

I can't think of a thread where such a declaration wouldn't be off-topic. You can ignore what a specific person in a conversation about a subject says, but bringing it up that you're ignoring them is a change of subject. 

I've often thought of putting a person or two on my ignore list.
As I'm sure others have thought about ( or have ) put me on their ignore list.
( I like to argue 'contrary' points of view, especially in the Politics section )

And then, sometimes, those users that I almost ignored, post some real gems.

Thank you all.

1 hour ago, swansont said:

However, if this is because they are flouting the rules and not a matter of personal preference/style, we ask that you bring this to the attention of the staff via the report post function. 

I suppose it would take something really outrageous for me to use the report protocol. It's not me somehow. I even stopped giving people bad reputation points.

I've noticed that the moderators on this site, after rational arguments have been presented, shift to shorter formulas to try and re-focus the conversation. You people spend a considerable effort and patience before someone is suspended or their post is closed.

1 hour ago, Strange said:

4 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

I can't think of a thread where such a declaration wouldn't be off-topic. You can ignore what a specific person in a conversation about a subject says, but bringing it up that you're ignoring them is a change of subject. 

Those are good points. Ignoring other users should be a private, silent act. I'll try to remember that.

12 minutes ago, MigL said:

( I like to argue 'contrary' points of view, especially in the Politics section )

But of course. That's very clever. Genuine disagreement, offering of arguments and counter-arguments, is very useful. I'm not as lucky as @swansont, who, in his own words, gets to play with "very expensive toys". My only laboratories are immediate reality and reason. Disagreeing with people in good faith is like a laboratory of sorts for me. I must confess I sometimes hold an opinion more strongly than my actual level of conviction is, just in order to see where my argument leads...

That's part of the game. That's why we say "let me play devil's advocate here".

4 hours ago, joigus said:

Am I a bad person?

My opinion: No.

4 hours ago, joigus said:

I've put three people on my ignore list

I have not used the ignore-list yet, I just skip reading the things I don't like. And sometimes when other members posts clever and interesting followups on some exceptionally stupid posts I prefer to see the full context. But I see your point and I support your usage of the ignore list. Especially if it keeps you active the forum, posting interesting content!

1 hour ago, Ghideon said:

I have not used the ignore-list yet, I just skip reading the things I don't like. And sometimes when other members posts clever and interesting followups on some exceptionally stupid posts I prefer to see the full context.

This may well be one of the most sensible things I've read today. Still, I'm not sure I'm ready for it.