The useless facts thread.

studiot

Nice post. +1

Here's mine:

If you set the ratio:

#(gauge bosons)/#(source fermions)=1090/1080=1010

which is approximately correct for the observable universe.

And then raise it to the power:

#(degrees of freedom of all known gauge sectors) = 1(EM)+3(EW)+8(QCD) = 12

You get:

(1010)12 = 10120

which is the scale of the overcounting of the vacuum energy from QFT.

Coincidence? I'll leave that one to @SergUpstart... LOL

1 hour ago, studiot said:

Post your useless but amusing/interesting facts here.

For instance

Palindromic temperatures  :   28o C =   82o F

Does this have any connection to the fact that a fully stretched out (standard shop-bought) slinky is precisely 82 feet long?

1 minute ago, Markus Hanke said:

Does this have any connection to the fact that a fully stretched out (standard shop-bought) slinky is precisely 82 feet long?

Wow is it really ?

I thought it was just today's maximum forecast temperature for Somerset.

Just now, studiot said:

Wow is it really ?

I thought it was just today's maximum forecast temperature for Somerset.

Here's another one - it is actually illegal to bring a Furbie into the Pentagon. It's in fact a criminal offence, punishable by lengthy prison sentences :)

41 minutes ago, Markus Hanke said:

Here's another one - it is actually illegal to bring a Furbie into the Pentagon. It's in fact a criminal offence, punishable by lengthy prison sentences :)

It is illegal to wear high-heels in Carmel, California.

1 hour ago, Markus Hanke said:

47 minutes ago, Strange said:

It is illegal to wear high-heels in Carmel, California.

Far from useless, I think you two may have saved me some jail time. I'll be repacking my suitcase for my next jaunt to the coasts. 

2 hours ago, Markus Hanke said:

They were banned, but I don't think it's a criminal offense. It was thought they could record conversations, which would be illegal in secure spaces, but they can't.

2 hours ago, swansont said:

-40ºC = -40ºF

0 K = 0 °R

4 hours ago, Markus Hanke said:

What charge? Bad spelling?

21 hours ago, swansont said:

They were banned, but I don't think it's a criminal offense. It was thought they could record conversations, which would be illegal in secure spaces, but they can't.

Oh I see :) I never bothered to fact check this...just come across it here and there.

A somewhat more scientific one - it is possible to construct (mathematically) a geometric body that has finite edge length, and infinite surface area enclosing zero volume.

If n = number of stars in the observable universe and v=the number of liter of the volume of earth then

[math]\frac{n}{v}  \approx 1[/math]

(According to wolframalpha https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=(number+of+stars+in+the+observable+universe)%2F(convert+one+volume+of+the+earth+to+liters). Of course number of stars is a rough estimate.)

The chicken egg came before the chicken, because the egg was laid by a creature very similar to a chicken but different enough to be a different species.  The mutation occurred in the egg creating the first chicken.  Therefore the chicken egg came before the chicken. :D

Edited by Airbrush

6 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

Therefore the chicken egg came before the chicken. 

If you call it "the chicken egg" because has a chicken in it; would be different than calling it "the chicken egg" because was laid by a chicken.  Which correctly, would be a hen instead. 🤨

26 minutes ago, Externet said:

If you call it "the chicken egg" because has a chicken in it; would be different than calling it "the chicken egg" because was laid by a chicken.  Which correctly, would be a hen instead. 🤨

There was a mutation in the egg which was laid by a "chicken-like" creature, which was a different species.  That is why the egg was the first of its' kind, it was a "chicken egg" laid by a creature that was not a chicken.    Speciation occurred in the egg.

Edited by Airbrush

45 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

The chicken egg came before the chicken, because the egg was laid by a creature very similar to a chicken but different enough to be a different species.  The mutation occurred in the egg creating the first chicken.  Therefore the chicken egg came before the chicken. :D

I can't see how this could be wrong. +1. Eggs were around long before anything chicken-like was around.

Whenever you decide a mature organism merits the definition of chicken, there must have been something before that already merits the definition of egg.

I think it's check mate.

37 minutes ago, Externet said:

Gosh I though chickens came from KFC.

Silly me.

1 hour ago, Airbrush said:

Speciation occurred in the egg.

Speciation occurred in the female parent. The egg is built after fertilization. Therefore the chicken came first.

You can be superstitious but you cannot be a little bit stitious. 

Edited by zapatos