Mental States

I've noticed a difference in how my mind works when I'm daydreaming vs when I'm solving a simple problem. I tried looking up info but I'm not getting the answers I'm looking for.

Mostly I read about "brain waves". Beta waves are supposed to be concious thought and theta waves daydreaming, but thoses are just labels and don't help me understand what's happening. Are the neurons firing differently? Stronger? Slower? Are they using more local connections vs half the brain away?

You are using different parts of your brain, using different combinations of neurotransmitters, your thalamus is allowing in less stimulus why you are daydreaming, and you are analyzing outside stimuli versus accessing memories. The brain waves are more effects than the actual mechanism.

:confused: Lucid Dreamer,

I saw krgrons thread, interesting. I am also stuyding INT Profile. I fit that bill. I have been a daydreamer all my life and have suddenly started to think all the time. I feel I have always walked to the different tune all my life but am just now beginning to understand I might not be as stupid as I think. Is it possible to use both side of the brain by thinking and daydreaming? pljames :)

Is it possible to use both side of the brain by thinking and daydreaming? pljames :)

The whole left brain, right brain thing where the left side of your brain is analytical and the right side is creative is an extreme exaggeration. The functions of the hemispheres of your brain are not that distinct. But, to answer your question, yes. You can of course think and "daydream" at the same time and access multiple sections of your brain to solve problems and think about things. I'm assuming you mean incorporating problem solving into a sort of daydream, yet the term daydream usually refers to a mental process where you are not thinking about anything productive.

You can also, to some degree, consciously think about one problem or daydream while your mind works on another in the background.

The brain waves are more effects than the actual mechanism.

Yes, that's what I said.

You are using different parts of your brain, using different combinations of neurotransmitters, your thalamus is allowing in less stimulus why you are daydreaming, and you are analyzing outside stimuli versus accessing memories.

Hmm, you seem to have misunderstood. I'm not talking about the difference, say, when my eyes are open or closed, as your post could be interpreted to answer, but more like the difference between being asleep and awake. Completely different brain functioning. Something that could be measured by, say, brainwaves. Or perhaps neurotransmitters as you suggest. I'd never heard of measuring neurotransmitters outside of emotional states, is that what you ment?

I think I could better ask: what is the mechanism that produces different brainwaves?