Lab grown, surgically implanted horns.

So i had a thought, (most if them are dumb, this one may be too) if someone makes Lab grown bones in the shape of "devil" horns, would it be possible to attach it to their skull? Just to put there, not to grow or anything. Im guessing there's a lot of things wrong with that, but I was curious of if it would be possible. Also, could there be a possibility part of the bone could be left showing, and it be attached around the bottom to make it look more like actual horns. Would the body reject them? And what complications could arrive, or are there too many to count?

1 hour ago, Oakmrkeii said:

are there too many to count?

Dental implants suggest that a suitable post can be attached to bone, and then you could attach something to the post, like they do with implanted crowns. The jawbone is designed for that kind of stress though. The skull is different, and I'd worry you were creating weakness where none should exist. 

Are you suggesting these horns be somehow grafted onto your skull, is that why you're growing them in a lab? Since you can't get "devil", what animal are you using for the stem cells? Is your devil going to look more goat than antelope?

I would say "too many to count".

• 3 weeks later...

Using stem cells from an animal such as a goat, deer, or another species with horns, would it be possible to grow and then graft or somehow implant then onto a human skull? I asked a question like this previously, and I realized how vague and unreasonable I made it sound, so im deciding to rephrase it. After doing a bit more research I'm still stuck on a few questions. I'll first clarify a few things about what im thinking:

I don't expect them to grow after they've been implanted, that's for obvious reasons impossible. 

I don't intend to act upon any answers given, I've just had this question stuck in my head for years.

I understand that I'm not in any position to act like I understand what im thinking, I just feel that something I put out there will be misinterpreted or misunderstood.

These are the questions I have about my thought:

1. If someone achieved in growing a horn from the stem cells (for now lets say they're from a goat) could it then be grafted onto the skull, or could a post or something else be attached to the skull to then be attached to the base of the horn? (The horn still being unremovable without surgery because it will still have the base of it under skin)

Quoting part of a previous reply for reference: "dental implants suggest that a suitable post can be attached to bone, and then you could attach something to the post, like they do with implanted crowns."

2. Because I would prefer the horns be implanted partially underneath skin (to imitate what a growing horn looks like more realistically), would it be refused my the body?

3. If it wasn't refused, would the skin attach to the base like I would have wanted? (The skin growing over the horns, or to be attached at all - both of which I dont want (I want the skin attached only to the base to look like it's growing though it wont be))

I've been told there's too many problems for this possibility to happen, so if any of the ones I've just asked about are the problem or any other one that I didn't think of please let me know. Thanks to anyone who can give help or any problems with trying to do that.

Edit: the horns would be about two inches long, at most.

Edited by Oakmrkeii
Forgot to add a detail.

On 7/30/2020 at 3:53 PM, Oakmrkeii said:

So i had a thought, (most if them are dumb, this one may be too) if someone makes Lab grown bones in the shape of "devil" horns, would it be possible to attach it to their skull? Just to put there, not to grow or anything. Im guessing there's a lot of things wrong with that, but I was curious of if it would be possible. Also, could there be a possibility part of the bone could be left showing, and it be attached around the bottom to make it look more like actual horns. Would the body reject them? And what complications could arrive, or are there too many to count?

Transdermal implants can be done. Lab grown horns probably not.

Practical issue is that the cells won't develop into particular shapes on their on. Foreign cells would also greatly raise the risk of rejection.

You could conceivably shape an existing bone into a horn shape though.

4 hours ago, Oakmrkeii said:

Using stem cells from an animal such as a goat, deer, or another species with horns, would it be possible to grow and then graft or somehow implant then onto a human skull? I asked a question like this previously, and I realized how vague and unreasonable I made it sound, so im deciding to rephrase it. After doing a bit more research I'm still stuck on a few questions. I'll first clarify a few things about what im thinking:

I don't expect them to grow after they've been implanted, that's for obvious reasons impossible. 

I don't intend to act upon any answers given, I've just had this question stuck in my head for years.

I understand that I'm not in any position to act like I understand what im thinking, I just feel that something I put out there will be misinterpreted or misunderstood.

These are the questions I have about my thought:

1. If someone achieved in growing a horn from the stem cells (for now lets say they're from a goat) could it then be grafted onto the skull, or could a post or something else be attached to the skull to then be attached to the base of the horn? (The horn still being unremovable without surgery because it will still have the base of it under skin)

Quoting part of a previous reply for reference: "dental implants suggest that a suitable post can be attached to bone, and then you could attach something to the post, like they do with implanted crowns."

2. Because I would prefer the horns be implanted partially underneath skin (to imitate what a growing horn looks like more realistically), would it be refused my the body?

3. If it wasn't refused, would the skin attach to the base like I would have wanted? (The skin growing over the horns, or to be attached at all - both of which I dont want (I want the skin attached only to the base to look like it's growing though it wont be))

I've been told there's too many problems for this possibility to happen, so if any of the ones I've just asked about are the problem or any other one that I didn't think of please let me know. Thanks to anyone who can give help or any problems with trying to do that.

Edit: the horns would be about two inches long, at most.

I think the biggest concern is that our skulls aren't evolved for horns, and just sticking them onto your head (however you might do it) is going to create major problems with stress and fracture on the container for the organ that makes you unique in the animal kingdom. Smacking your head on the car door with two inch horns posted to your cranium would be potentially lethal instead of a minor annoyance.

I have to say it's also kind of a backhanded insult to human intelligence. When we learned to cook with fire, our jawbones shrank enough to allow our brains to grow bigger. Similarly, an animal that's evolved a horn attached to its cranium has less room for brains. Wanting horns is like saying you'd rather look like an animal than think like a human.

On 7/30/2020 at 4:53 PM, Oakmrkeii said:

Perhaps not lab grown, but this has already been done.  Not sure why lab grown would mean something though, as it would still not effect genetics

526a62b95dc7f8eed21939ff59759e9e.png&qua