Hall of Shame

Cap'n Refsmmat

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this an attempt to get rid of people who are here to learn ? I don't really see the point in that. I've asked what some people may regard as idiotic questions, and yes my first few posts were very dubious, but you had your chance to set me and others straight then, there's no need to churn out abuse again.

If people like me who havn't had a background in sciences and what to improve by asking experts on a forum, then you shouldn't make people feel uncomfortable asking, which this kind of thread is going to do.

Pseudoscience is just for asking questions that science hasn't answered yet. OK there's some quite hilarious posts in there but like I've said you've already had your chance to pick holes in peoples ideas et.c you don't need to brand these people...if they persist and are being annoying then simply ban them.

I very much doubt I'll be using this forum any longer, which is a shame because I've learnt a lot, and have had a lot of fun exchanging ideas and enjoying a lot of the sharp humour...but I think this is just lame, and pointless. I'll be reading any responses (if any) to this, but I can already imagine that it's going to be met with contention, and abuse...so seeya.

Is this an attempt to get rid of people who are here to learn ? I don't really see the point in that. I've asked what some people may regard as idiotic questions, and yes my first few posts were very dubious, but you had your chance to set me and others straight then, there's no need to churn out abuse again.
Well no. There isn't such thing as an idiotic question, just an idiotic awnser.*

If people like me who havn't had a background in sciences and what to improve by asking experts on a forum, then you shouldn't make people feel uncomfortable asking, which this kind of thread is going to do.
This thread is mostly aimed at people that give incorrect infomation, poor auguments and act as if they know what the hell they're talking about which (if they managed to get into this thread) they don't.

Pseudoscience is just for asking questions that science hasn't answered yet. OK there's some quite hilarious posts in there but like I've said you've already had your chance to pick holes in peoples ideas et.c you don't need to brand these people...if they persist and are being annoying then simply ban them.
The "pseudo" prefix basically means fake. Pseudoscience is anything that pretends to be science and isn't, it often rejects real science and has a tendancy to repeat questions that science awnsered a long time ago.

I very much doubt I'll be using this forum any longer, which is a shame because I've learnt a lot, and have had a lot of fun exchanging ideas and enjoying a lot of the sharp humour...but I think this is just lame, and pointless. I'll be reading any responses (if any) to this, but I can already imagine that it's going to be met with contention, and abuse...so seeya.
Hey it's science, that's exactly what you should expect. The place is full of accedemics who practically live on mocking each other. Peer review is what makes something credible.

You should welcome any comments to yourself (both positive and negative) with open arms as you'll learn a lot from it.

As far as I can see, you haven't yet qualified for the Hall of Shame, so be proud. Most people have.

This thread serves a very useful point in that it makes something useful out of what is otherwise just irritating.

*The act of asking the question may in fact be idiotic if, for instance the awnser had just been given. A question may also be based on idiocy if it makes out-of-the-blue assumptions but that doesn't make the question itself idiotic.

For god's sake' date=' how can people not know a honeypot thread when they see one?

Stop complaining about the moral fortitude of the thread and start bitching about rubbish users.[/quote']

i cant believe your not closing this crap. its an entire thread for trolling. i thought we had rules to keep people civil on this site... :rolleyes:

i cant believe your not closing this crap.

Presumably you don't know what a honeypot is then.

its an entire thread for trolling.

Purpose of the thread: "a Hall of Shame for all of the infamously memorable people on SFN"

Caveat: "No name-calling, flaming, or whatever."

i thought we had rules to keep people civil on this site...

And we do. Not really an issue thus far, is it?

Actually I probably agree with this.

The difference is' date=' he is proposing to judge others on some standard (his own?),

whereas I am not suggesting we brand anyone without establishing an ethical foundation first at the very least. [/quote']

the criteria for making the list is well defined(with the exception of "twats"). it is not his standards.

Well no. There isn't such thing as an idiotic question' date=' just an idiotic awnser.*

This thread is mostly aimed at people that give incorrect infomation, poor auguments and act as if they know what the hell they're talking about which (if they managed to get into this thread) they don't.

The "pseudo" prefix basically means fake. Pseudoscience is anything that pretends to be science and isn't, it often rejects real science and has a tendancy to repeat questions that science awnsered a long time ago.

Hey it's science, that's exactly what you should expect. The place is full of accedemics who practically live on mocking each other. Peer review is what makes something credible.

You should welcome any comments to yourself (both positive and negative) with open arms as you'll learn a lot from it.

As far as I can see, you haven't yet qualified for the Hall of Shame, so be proud. Most people have.

This thread serves a very useful point in that it makes something useful out of what is otherwise just irritating.[/quote']

Erm...ok I was having a particularly bad day yestarday. I agree with most of your points. Further to this I've been scanning a few other science forums and christ on a bike there's some pap out there, so if you don't mind I'll be crawling my way back. I do need somewhere to learn when work is quiet.

I'd also like to add that there are some posts that warrant a level of abuse...providing it's not dogmatic and gives reasons why there is a disagreement, or if some humour is injected into the discussion it can lighten a situation.

You can ask stupid questions...if you overlook something obvious, or don't search the forum or check google for an answer before hand, then you're just wasting peoples time. Anyway I'll be posting something very soon I imagine...and it won't be idiotic or twatish et.c