Is anyone actively experimenting with electrons in a vacuum?

Butyln

Is anyone actively experimenting with electrons in a vacuum? I have an idea for an experiment setup using electrons in a vacuum which I believe will reveal a lot and increase our understanding.

Most experiments on free electrons are performed in a vacuum (for obvious reasons). Some experiments involving electrons can be done in conductors, semiconductors, plasma or other material but that normally means that it is the interactions of electrons and the material that is relevant.

!

Moderator Note

if you want to present your own non-standard theory, please open a thread in Speculations 

22 minutes ago, Butyln said:

Is anyone actively experimenting with electrons in a vacuum? I have an idea for an experiment setup using electrons in a vacuum which I believe will reveal a lot and increase our understanding.

Yes, there are people doing this, and experiments have been ongoing for many years. Positrons, too. Penning traps and Paul traps are commonly used to do precision experiments 

1 hour ago, Butyln said:

3 minutes ago, Butyln said:

Thanks, I meant anyone on this forum doing them?

What is there to do ?

The subject has passed from pure science into engineering and been forgotten.

I have at least (older) three textbooks dedicated to the subject of what happens to electrons in a vacuum in a whole variety of circumstances.

Edited by studiot

1 hour ago, studiot said:

What is there to do ?

The subject has passed from pure science into engineering and been forgotten.

I’ve met a number of people who would disagree. g-2 measurements and electric dipole measurements, for instance.