Definition of proselytize

Ken123456

Look, Ken123456, this is a science forum. At the moment you start to talk about one single God, and it happens to be yours, then you definitely left science. So I think you should ask yourself what your intention was. Also, the kind of hypothetical question you asked 'Could God use a scientist to help save the world from a devastating destruction but the scientist was not a believer in God?' how should we know? There simply is no science behind it.

You have said many things in that thread, you simply cannot know scientifically. Where there is no science there is nothing to discuss. What you believe cannot be an object of scientific investigation.

Edited by Eise

Just now, Eise said:

Look, Ken123456, this is a science forum. At the moment you start to talk about one single God, and it happens to be yours, then you definitely left science. So I think you should ask yourself what your intention was. Also, the kind of hypothetical question you asked 'Could God use a scientist to help save the world from a devastating destruction but the scientist was not a believer in God?' how should we know? There simply is no science behind it.

You have said many things in that thread, you simply cannot know scientifically. Where there is no science there is nothing to discus..

!

Moderator Note

I think you could, in principle, discuss it in the context of what is known from the Bible by quoting or referring to relevant passages, or applying logic to things that are accepted as canon. That at least has a resemblance to being evidence-based, even if it isn't scientific evidence. But that's not what happened in the other thread. (It almost never happens in the religion discussions. But we hold out hope...)

1 hour ago, swansont said:
!

Moderator Note

I think you could, in principle, discuss it in the context of what is known from the Bible by quoting or referring to relevant passages, or applying logic to things that are accepted as canon. That at least has a resemblance to being evidence-based, even if it isn't scientific evidence. But that's not what happened in the other thread. (It almost never happens in the religion discussions. But we hold out hope...)

I asked previous moderators to share where they wanted scriptures and they did not reply to my question but mouthed off their opinion.

5 minutes ago, Ken123456 said:

I asked previous moderators to share where they wanted scriptures and they did not reply to my question but mouthed off their opinion.

Hi Ken. You seem to be greatly frustrated by your experiences on the forum. I imagine that accounts for your aggression, with references to dumb ass moderators and others who mouth off their opinion. If you have been offended, isn't their something about turning the other cheek - often good advice for Christian and non-Christian alike. Setting that aside, do you feel that being aggressive in your posts, even if you feel you have been provoked, will achieve anything of value for yourself, those whom you attack, or just us "innocent bystanders"?

Perhaps reflect on what your objectives are, consider whether or not they are honourable, then determine how you may best achieve this in a way that benefits all parties. It's just a thought. Give it no regard if you prefer.

6 minutes ago, Area54 said:

Hi Ken. You seem to be greatly frustrated by your experiences on the forum. I imagine that accounts for your aggression, with references to dumb ass moderators and others who mouth off their opinion. If you have been offended, isn't their something about turning the other cheek - often good advice for Christian and non-Christian alike. Setting that aside, do you feel that being aggressive in your posts, even if you feel you have been provoked, will achieve anything of value for yourself, those whom you attack, or just us "innocent bystanders"?

Perhaps reflect on what your objectives are, consider whether or not they are honourable, then determine how you may best achieve this in a way that benefits all parties. It's just a thought. Give it no regard if you prefer.

HARDLY innocent bystanders attacking me and God. Wake up and learn. If wanted I can show much more aggression from Jesus when needed. I turn the cheek and not defend myself but go into full attack when defending God. Some call it tough love if you want today's thinking..

10 minutes ago, Area54 said:

Perhaps reflect on what your objectives are,

If I had to guess, his objective is to get himself banned so he can go tell others how bad of a forum this is / what a successful troll he is, etc.

I also suspect I'll now receive his kind-hearted Jesus-guided loving words in response to this post here. 

e5675974555acf06cb6a57a3a602f5d7--christ

4 minutes ago, Ken123456 said:

HARDLY innocent bystanders attacking me and God.

Have I attacked you, or your belief in your God?

4 minutes ago, Ken123456 said:

Wake up and learn.

You do not know me. It seems presumptous of you to suggest I need to wake up and learn. You have a set of beliefs that differ, presumably, in some ways from mine. Perhaps your views are correct. Perhaps not, but I can tell you that telling me to "wake up and learn" is not the best way of engaging me in a discussion that might lead me to share your views. Rather it will lead to suspect that you are just an angry, bitter and frustrated man -- that is not the sort of person from whom I would expect to learn very much. You do yourself and your message a great disservice by exposing this negative side of your character. I ask you again to reflect on what you are trying to achieve and the best way of achieving it.

10 minutes ago, Ken123456 said:

If wanted I can show much more aggression from Jesus when needed. I turn the cheek and not defend myself but go into full attack when defending God.

I haven't seen anyone attack God. A statement of disbelief in God, is not an attack  on God. Petulant attacks are not a defence, but demean the Christian message. I have witnessed many individuals turned from Christianity by just the very attitude you are taking on this forum. It is counterproductive and it certainly does not match the behaviour of the several Christians whom I respect and admire, while not adhering to their central belief.

5 minutes ago, iNow said:

If I had to guess, his objective is to get himself banned so he can go tell others how bad of a forum this is / what a successful troll he is, etc.

I fear you may be right, but I rather hope he is just frustrated and seriously misguided. Optimism is my middle name.

49 minutes ago, Ken123456 said:

HARDLY innocent bystanders attacking me and God.

Another distinction we make here: we don't attack people, we attack their ideas. This either makes the ideas stronger, or shows their weaknesses. Other than one poster calling you a moron (which they were called out for), where were YOU personally attacked? You don't get to claim that you and your beliefs are one.

If wanted I can show much more aggression from Jesus when needed.

I'm sure it's what Jesus would have wanted, with him being so warlike and all. 

I turn the cheek and not defend myself but go into full attack when defending God. Some call it tough love if you want today's thinking..

I call it ass-backwards. If the god you believe in exists, it sounds like he doesn't need you to defend him. Fully attacking someone who doesn't share your belief in the supernatural sounds unhinged, like "aggression from Jesus". Do you also think of others as closed-minded if they don't share your rigid views on your god? That's part of why you've been accused of proselytizing.

26 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

Another distinction we make here: we don't attack people, we attack their ideas. This either makes the ideas stronger, or shows their weaknesses. Other than one poster calling you a moron (which they were called out for), where were YOU personally attacked? You don't get to claim that you and your beliefs are one.

I'm sure it's what Jesus would have wanted, with him being so warlike and all. 

I call it ass-backwards. If the god you believe in exists, it sounds like he doesn't need you to defend him. Fully attacking someone who doesn't share your belief in the supernatural sounds unhinged, like "aggression from Jesus". Do you also think of others as closed-minded if they don't share your rigid views on your god? That's part of why you've been accused of proselytizing.

Edited by Ken123456