Jump to content
AllMyFriendsAreDangerous

Politics ~ and how it relates to science.

Recommended Posts

Its always nice to jump on a science forum and see the activity stream filled, mostly, with politics. If we read the Politics topic, we see under it "....and how it relates to science".  I almost wonder how much of it spills over into this side of the internet community by design. Facebook and Youtube are full of posts and comments designed purely to insight anger and frustration amongst a common people and the ignorance of those people rapidly takes over. Foreign entities intent on having us destroy ourselves clearly have the "science" of it figured out. Democrat vs republican, white vs black, police department funding, etc etc etc ~ none of it belongs here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You mean incite, not insight. 

If you dislike the topic area, just ignore it. No need to impose your personal preferences on every other single member here.

Many of us enjoy discussing political topics with other reasonable intelligent members. If that’s not you, just move along.

Practically speaking, these topics always come up anyway, so at least by having a dedicated subforum for it we can avoid them polluting the more pure science threads where people like you may prefer to focus. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, iNow said:

You mean incite, not insight. 

If you dislike the topic area, just ignore it. No need to impose your personal preferences on every other single member here.

Many of us enjoy discussing political topics with other reasonable intelligent members. If that’s not you, just move along.

Practically speaking, these topics always come up anyway, so at least by having a dedicated subforum for it we can avoid them polluting the more pure science threads where people like you may prefer to focus. 

iNow, I appreciate the the spelling correction and will resist the urge to correct your grammatical use of commas, after all, I am not "reasonable" intelligent, I am reasonably intelligent. MacSwell, thanks for the welcome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AllMyFriendsAreDangerous said:

will resist the urge to correct your grammatical use of commas

That would be orthography, not grammar. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, AllMyFriendsAreDangerous said:

iNow, I appreciate the the spelling correction and will resist the urge to correct your grammatical use of commas

That's too bad. I appreciate correction. It helps me become better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2020 at 10:17 PM, AllMyFriendsAreDangerous said:

iNow, I appreciate the the spelling correction and will resist the urge to correct your grammatical use of commas, after all, I am not "reasonable" intelligent, I am reasonably intelligent. MacSwell, thanks for the welcome.

What wrong use of commas are you referring to?  Please explain since I didn't notice the error.  Maybe I was making the same error.

Edited by Airbrush

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The convention is to put commas between adjectives that modify the same noun. So "reasonable, intelligent members" would be standard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my favorite kinds of posts is the new guy who tells us what we are doing wrong. Right up there with those who compare themselves to Galileo because we don't accept their views on the Flat Earth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, zapatos said:

One of my favorite kinds of posts is the new guy who tells us what we are doing wrong. 

I've picked up a few things from brand new joiners who use their first posts to complain. It's hard because it looks like they have an agenda besides science discussion, but I don't think that's the case here. This was an observation, nothing more.

But you can't judge our Politics section from the activity stream of titles. All of our "opinion" sections are supposed to be somewhat unique on the web, in that we require evidence for assertions, unlike so many other sites. To me, it's a lot less toxic having a conversation where nobody is allowed to post their beliefs as fact unless they can support them rigorously.

Reasoned, critical thinking on any subject belongs here to be shared with the membership.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Forgive my initial negativity upon joining. Admittedly, I was a bit discouraged seeing more politics as it is already everywhere on the web. It was not my intention to jump on your forum and start judging it, merely a comment out of frustration. It is clear to me that there are valid points on any side of a political debate, but too many people take them personally and, before you know it, people begin to judge others permanently for a few differing ideals rather than for who they truly are. Politics causes more hatred among people than anything on this planet and I was simply saddened by the fact such nonsense found its way into a scientifically educational forum. Again, didn't mean to stir the pot...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AllMyFriendsAreDangerous said:

Politics causes more hatred among people than anything on this planet

I think you mean tribalism, something we also see in religion, nations, amd sports. Or, maybe you meant some politicians do this, not politics in general?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, AllMyFriendsAreDangerous said:

Forgive my initial negativity upon joining. Admittedly, I was a bit discouraged seeing more politics as it is already everywhere on the web. It was not my intention to jump on your forum and start judging it, merely a comment out of frustration. It is clear to me that there are valid points on any side of a political debate, but too many people take them personally and, before you know it, people begin to judge others permanently for a few differing ideals rather than for who they truly are. Politics causes more hatred among people than anything on this planet and I was simply saddened by the fact such nonsense found its way into a scientifically educational forum. Again, didn't mean to stir the pot...

The forum's default 'live' activity view can give a skewed impression of its overall type of subject activity, particularly if there's a lot going on in one thread.

Edited by StringJunky

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, AllMyFriendsAreDangerous said:

Politics causes more hatred among people than anything on this planet and I was simply saddened by the fact such nonsense found its way into a scientifically educational forum. 

One of the things we need now, more than ever before perhaps, are more conversations about converting our current "politics" into a more effective form of governance and leadership. The "nonsense" you're talking about is all the emotion, posturing, and entertainment surrounding what should be a sober and rational process, and that's some of what we hope to achieve in our discussions here, a more reasoned perspective.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AllMyFriendsAreDangerous said:

Politics causes more hatred among people than anything on this planet...

Really? I would have guessed religion. Or maybe racism. Or bigotry. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or ignorance 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, iNow said:

Or ignorance 

I was going to say reality TV, or maybe homeopathy, but this really covers it all, doesn't it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

I was going to say reality TV, or maybe homeopathy, but this really covers it all, doesn't it?

What really gets my blood boiling is when I'm eating a banana and it has some of those stringy things on it that didn't come off when I peeled it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, zapatos said:

What really gets my blood boiling is when I'm eating a banana and it has some of those stringy things on it that didn't come off when I peeled it.

Try peeling it from the bottom instead of starting on the stem side where it attached to the bunch 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, zapatos said:

What really gets my blood boiling is when I'm eating a banana and it has some of those stringy things on it that didn't come off when I peeled it.

I felt a little ignorant about that, so I educated myself. The phloem tissue bundles are like a circulatory system separate from both the fruit and skin that brings nutrients to the whole banana. I think you need to do an experiment where you eat several bananas and see if your temperature goes up. Then you can support assertions like the above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are discussing apples nd oranges here, guys.
Not bananas !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.