Politics ~ and how it relates to science.

Its always nice to jump on a science forum and see the activity stream filled, mostly, with politics. If we read the Politics topic, we see under it "....and how it relates to science".  I almost wonder how much of it spills over into this side of the internet community by design. Facebook and Youtube are full of posts and comments designed purely to insight anger and frustration amongst a common people and the ignorance of those people rapidly takes over. Foreign entities intent on having us destroy ourselves clearly have the "science" of it figured out. Democrat vs republican, white vs black, police department funding, etc etc etc ~ none of it belongs here.

You mean incite, not insight. 

If you dislike the topic area, just ignore it. No need to impose your personal preferences on every other single member here.

Many of us enjoy discussing political topics with other reasonable intelligent members. If that’s not you, just move along.

Practically speaking, these topics always come up anyway, so at least by having a dedicated subforum for it we can avoid them polluting the more pure science threads where people like you may prefer to focus. 

9 hours ago, iNow said:

You mean incite, not insight. 

If you dislike the topic area, just ignore it. No need to impose your personal preferences on every other single member here.

Many of us enjoy discussing political topics with other reasonable intelligent members. If that’s not you, just move along.

Practically speaking, these topics always come up anyway, so at least by having a dedicated subforum for it we can avoid them polluting the more pure science threads where people like you may prefer to focus. 

iNow, I appreciate the the spelling correction and will resist the urge to correct your grammatical use of commas, after all, I am not "reasonable" intelligent, I am reasonably intelligent. MacSwell, thanks for the welcome.

9 hours ago, AllMyFriendsAreDangerous said:

iNow, I appreciate the the spelling correction and will resist the urge to correct your grammatical use of commas

That's too bad. I appreciate correction. It helps me become better.

On 7/12/2020 at 10:17 PM, AllMyFriendsAreDangerous said:

iNow, I appreciate the the spelling correction and will resist the urge to correct your grammatical use of commas, after all, I am not "reasonable" intelligent, I am reasonably intelligent. MacSwell, thanks for the welcome.

What wrong use of commas are you referring to?  Please explain since I didn't notice the error.  Maybe I was making the same error.

Edited by Airbrush

One of my favorite kinds of posts is the new guy who tells us what we are doing wrong. Right up there with those who compare themselves to Galileo because we don't accept their views on the Flat Earth.

11 hours ago, zapatos said:

One of my favorite kinds of posts is the new guy who tells us what we are doing wrong. 

I've picked up a few things from brand new joiners who use their first posts to complain. It's hard because it looks like they have an agenda besides science discussion, but I don't think that's the case here. This was an observation, nothing more.

But you can't judge our Politics section from the activity stream of titles. All of our "opinion" sections are supposed to be somewhat unique on the web, in that we require evidence for assertions, unlike so many other sites. To me, it's a lot less toxic having a conversation where nobody is allowed to post their beliefs as fact unless they can support them rigorously.

Reasoned, critical thinking on any subject belongs here to be shared with the membership.

Forgive my initial negativity upon joining. Admittedly, I was a bit discouraged seeing more politics as it is already everywhere on the web. It was not my intention to jump on your forum and start judging it, merely a comment out of frustration. It is clear to me that there are valid points on any side of a political debate, but too many people take them personally and, before you know it, people begin to judge others permanently for a few differing ideals rather than for who they truly are. Politics causes more hatred among people than anything on this planet and I was simply saddened by the fact such nonsense found its way into a scientifically educational forum. Again, didn't mean to stir the pot...

9 minutes ago, AllMyFriendsAreDangerous said:

Politics causes more hatred among people than anything on this planet

I think you mean tribalism, something we also see in religion, nations, amd sports. Or, maybe you meant some politicians do this, not politics in general?

13 minutes ago, AllMyFriendsAreDangerous said:

Forgive my initial negativity upon joining. Admittedly, I was a bit discouraged seeing more politics as it is already everywhere on the web. It was not my intention to jump on your forum and start judging it, merely a comment out of frustration. It is clear to me that there are valid points on any side of a political debate, but too many people take them personally and, before you know it, people begin to judge others permanently for a few differing ideals rather than for who they truly are. Politics causes more hatred among people than anything on this planet and I was simply saddened by the fact such nonsense found its way into a scientifically educational forum. Again, didn't mean to stir the pot...

The forum's default 'live' activity view can give a skewed impression of its overall type of subject activity, particularly if there's a lot going on in one thread.

Edited by StringJunky

47 minutes ago, AllMyFriendsAreDangerous said:

Politics causes more hatred among people than anything on this planet and I was simply saddened by the fact such nonsense found its way into a scientifically educational forum. 

One of the things we need now, more than ever before perhaps, are more conversations about converting our current "politics" into a more effective form of governance and leadership. The "nonsense" you're talking about is all the emotion, posturing, and entertainment surrounding what should be a sober and rational process, and that's some of what we hope to achieve in our discussions here, a more reasoned perspective.

41 minutes ago, Phi for All said:

I was going to say reality TV, or maybe homeopathy, but this really covers it all, doesn't it?

What really gets my blood boiling is when I'm eating a banana and it has some of those stringy things on it that didn't come off when I peeled it.

23 minutes ago, zapatos said:

What really gets my blood boiling is when I'm eating a banana and it has some of those stringy things on it that didn't come off when I peeled it.

Try peeling it from the bottom instead of starting on the stem side where it attached to the bunch 

3 hours ago, zapatos said:

I felt a little ignorant about that, so I educated myself. The phloem tissue bundles are like a circulatory system separate from both the fruit and skin that brings nutrients to the whole banana. I think you need to do an experiment where you eat several bananas and see if your temperature goes up. Then you can support assertions like the above.