Trump said Biden going to be elected

Airbrush

This story is dated June 26.

"In a seeming slip of the tongue, President Donald Trump said Friday that his opponent Joe Biden was "going to be" elected president in November — a rare acknowledgement of the difficulty he faces seeking re-election.

"Trump's disapproval hit a high this week, according to a new poll from NPR, PBS News hour and Marist that shows his approval at 40 percent overall and a 58 percent disapproval rating."

https://people.com/politics/trump-says-biden-going-to-be-your-president-because-some-people-dont-love-me/

Trump speaking to Sean Hannity:

"I don’t want to be nice or un-nice, okay? But I mean, the man [Biden] can’t speak," Trump said, falling back on one of his repeated critiques of Biden. "And he's going to be your president 'cause some people don't love me, maybe, and you know, all I'm doing is doing my job."

He is just doing his job.  Here is an example of Trump being transparent.  It slipped out by accident.  But for Trump to say about Biden "the man can't speak" is the best example of psychological projection I have seen since "Crooked Hillary."

With Trump's approval at 40%, my estimate is that about 30% of Americans approve of Trump simply because they LIKE him.  It doesn't matter what he says or does.  They like his grandiose act and think he is cute.  Above all, he entertains them.  Entertainment is important among those 30% who would like him to become dictator for life.  The other 10% are just WITH him, not because they like him, but they think he is good for the economy.  They may hold their noses while they vote for Trump in November. 

The way Trump was "good for the economy" was in how he shocked the hell out of most Americans.  Trump's base were walking on clouds when Trump won the 2016 election.  That was a boost to the economy.  Then along with tax cuts for the wealthy and corporations, and deregulation, 58% of Americans were running scared, and that fear was also a boost to the economy.

Edited by Airbrush

1 hour ago, Airbrush said:

He is just doing his job.  Here is an example of Trump being transparent.  It slipped out by accident. 

I interpreted it differently. To me, it came off more as "You're going to get a terrible president because the Democrats hate my hard work." Not an accident, just spoken in his standard "They disapprove of my greatness, and that's OK, I guess" passive-aggressive voice. Not an admission either. It was a threat. It was a dog whistle for his base to make sure this doesn't happen. 

1 hour ago, Airbrush said:

Trump's base were walking on clouds when Trump won the 2016 election.

Of your last two paragraphs, this is the only sentence you don't need to support. The rest of it is mostly assumptions and guesswork.

22 hours ago, Phi for All said:

I interpreted it differently. To me, it came off more as "You're going to get a terrible president because the Democrats hate my hard work." Not an accident, just spoken in his standard "They disapprove of my greatness, and that's OK, I guess" passive-aggressive voice. Not an admission either. It was a threat. It was a dog whistle for his base to make sure this doesn't happen. 

I agree.  In the same article it said Trump's statement was a reaction to Biden saying the following:

"The president is like a child who can’t believe this has happened to him — all his whining and self-pity, .....Well, this pandemic didn’t happen to him. It happened to all of us. And his job isn’t to whine about it. His job is to do something about it. To lead."

Now it makes more sense to me.  Saying Biden will win is sarcasm or even a threat.  "You may elect the wrong guy!  I'm just doing my job!"  He would never consider that he may lose the election.  It is too unpleasant a thought.  That is the furthest thing from his mind.  In his mind he will win the election no matter what.  But if he loses the election he will certainly cry foul and cast doubt on the election results.  

20 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

Now it makes more sense to me.  Saying Biden will win is sarcasm or even a threat.  "You may elect the wrong guy!  I'm just doing my job!"  He would never consider that he may lose the election.  It is too unpleasant a thought.  That is the furthest thing from his mind.  In his mind he will win the election no matter what.  But if he loses the election he will certainly cry foul and cast doubt on the election results.  

I think you try to get inside his mind too much and pretend you know how he thinks or what his cognitive processes are. There's absolutely no need. You don't need guesses when there's plenty of facts to suggest he's a complete incompetent propped up by rage, bluster, and money. I don't think you need to look any deeper for signs of rot, and I'm more than a little worried the crazy is going to get you if try to make sense of his irrational behavior.

It is an utter waste of time trying to decipher what he says and it is going to be a distraction anyway. He almost never comments on actual policy in a meaningful way so there is really no value to dedicate any mental capacity to that. Historically folks paid attention to leaders because what they often outline their policies or provide other information. But since Trump is not leading and does not really operate on anything approach information, it does not make a lot of sense to interpret him on that level.

13 minutes ago, CharonY said:

It is an utter waste of time trying to decipher what he says and it is going to be a distraction anyway. He almost never comments on actual policy in a meaningful way so there is really no value to dedicate any mental capacity to that. Historically folks paid attention to leaders because what they often outline their policies or provide other information. But since Trump is not leading and does not really operate on anything approach information, it does not make a lot of sense to interpret him on that level.

Everything he says seems to be with an eye on November.

22 hours ago, CharonY said:

I disagree.  I think we should ALL try to figure him out, like his niece Mary Trump, a psychologist, did in her recent book "Too Much And Never Enough."

I don't "pretend" to know what he is thinking, nobody "knows."  I don't have any degrees in psychology.  Maybe Putin and other world leaders, with the help of their best psychologists, know more about his thought process.  So they can manipulate him better.  His mind is simple as a spoiled 8-year-old, and yet complicated as an intuitive, world-class con artist.  I had a boss that acted like Trump, so I could see parallels.  I saw some of my speculations confirmed in my narcissistic boss.

22 hours ago, StringJunky said:

Everything he says seems to be with an eye on November.

Also everything he says is directed at his BASE.  Dems are just human scum in his mind.

Edited by Airbrush

6 hours ago, Airbrush said:

I disagree.  I think we should ALL try to figure him out, like his niece Mary Trump, a psychologist, did in her recent book "Too Much And Never Enough."

That sounds like an incredible waste of valuable time to me.

9 hours ago, CharonY said:

If one useful thing has come out of this, it is that everyone can now see the weaknesses in the protections of the constitution against authoritarianism. I am somewhat heartened that the Republican SC judges don't always go down the purely partisan route and precedent still means something.

Edited by StringJunky

48 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

If one useful thing has come out of this, it is that everyone can now see the weaknesses in the protections of the constitution against authoritarianism. 

If history is anything to go by, not enough people can see clearly enough to be able to effect change, before battle commences...

54 minutes ago, StringJunky said:

I am somewhat heartened that the Republican SC judges don't always go down the purely partisan route and precedent still means something.

We do indeed live in interesting time's, "May you live in interesting times" let's hope this fake Chinese curse, is a fitting metaphor, and an ironic reminder, of the curse of fake news.

19 hours ago, Airbrush said:

I disagree. I think we should continue to hold the standards for the position of POTUS we've always held, and use that to decide where his behavior fails to be acceptable. "Figuring him out" is a distraction from judging his actions. The best you can hope to accomplish is no harm, because you aren't going to change anybody's mind about him with just your opinion. The worst that will happen is some folks will see your reasoning as an excuse for that behavior. Maybe not you, maybe none of us, but a big part of his propaganda is trashing others so it's harder to see his faults. He muddies the waters, and I think you're helping him by straying from the facts, by guessing at his motives, and by making this about so much more than the obvious crimes he's committed, his documented divisiveness, and the effects of his ignorant approach to leadership overall. 

9 hours ago, Phi for All said:

"Figuring him out" is a distraction from judging his actions. The best you can hope to accomplish is no harm, because you aren't going to change anybody's mind about him with just your opinion.....

Figuring him out includes judging his actions.  Mary Trump judged his actions.  39% of Americans "figured him out" by approval, and 58% figured him out by disapproval, on July 8.

I would like to see a study of how much correlation there is between fans of Trump and fans of pro wrestling.  He is obviously the pro wrestler of US politics.  Entertainment is the primary factor with WWE and Trump's fans.

"Professional wrestling also incorporates drama.... The characters in professional wrestling have large egos, flamboyant personalities, and turbulent relationships, which are scripted like the fights."

"...wrestlers began choreographing their matches (worked matches) so as to make the matches less physically taxing, shorter in duration, and more entertaining for spectators. This allowed the wrestlers to perform more frequently and attracted larger audiences."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professional_wrestling

Is my estimate far off when I speculate that of the 40% approval, not all of them really like Trump?  But I think most of them do, and a smaller number don't but think he is good for the economy, or at least WAS good for the economy.

"Overall, Rasmussen said he recorded the lowest level of approval he has seen for Trump, at just 39 percent nationwide [July 8th].  Of that total, only 27 percent said they strongly approve. At the same time, 58 percent of respondents said they disapprove of the president, while 47 percent said they strongly disapprove."

"Now, Rasmussen's latest polling, which was published Tuesday, shows that Trump's support among Republicans has declined by 4 points since mid-June. It now stands at 80 percent, down from 84 percent."

https://www.newsweek.com/trumps-approval-rating-among-republicans-drops-poll-five-pull-out-rnc-1516298

22 hours ago, CharonY said:

Not a waste of time for me, or many news commentators, or Mary Trump and a number of other authors.  To me it is fascinating.  I'm retired with lots of time to kill.  Leave this topic to me.  You have better things to do.

At the beginning of his presidency Trump claimed he was going to be great for the ratings of cable news.  He was right, but it is a horror story.  Horror is entertaining and compelling.  I watch lots of cable news every day.  I liked Obama because I didn't need to watch cable news from worrying.  Obama always made sense and had good reasons for his actions.  Trump doesn't.  Also Trump always sounds like the villain in the movies, and yet many people like that.  But many people also like pro wresting, boxing, and MMA.  There must be a correlation.

Edited by Airbrush

From the latest polls, I've seen predictions of 370-400 Electoral College votes for the Democrats ( out of 538 I believe ).

He's gonna have to start dancing pretty fast, to try and turn the situation around.
I personally don't think it can be done; if anything he'll make thing worse.

41 minutes ago, MigL said:

From the latest polls, I've seen predictions of 370-400 Electoral College votes for the Democrats ( out of 538 I believe ).

He's gonna have to start dancing pretty fast, to try and turn the situation around.
I personally don't think it can be done; if anything he'll make thing worse.

There are only two possible outcomes. Either he wins a 2nd term, or he claims it was rigged. 

We've discussed tribal aspects and used sports analogies a fair bit with regard to US politics, but I gotta say I like Airbrush's WWE analogy. It's getting more bizarre all the time and more and more you need to suspend belief to follow it from either side.

Very unfortunate that that includes ignoring the danger of  the current pandemic to either lives and peoples health, or the economy, (or both) under the current "ringleader" and larger than life champion/buffoon...a high price for entertainment...

Edited by J.C.MacSwell

50 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

I gotta say I like Airbrush's WWE analogy. It's getting more bizarre all the time and more and more you need to suspend belief to follow it from either side.

trump-10-1478759340.jpg

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

He's a conman par excellence.

It is true that he seems able to fool some of the people all of the time, but he has never been able to fool all of the people some of the time. That just reduces him to the rather pathetic state of conman, a role worthy of as much respect as an afficionada of Love Island.

11 minutes ago, Area54 said:

It is true that he seems able to fool some of the people all of the time, but he has never been able to fool all of the people some of the time. That just reduces him to the rather pathetic state of conman, a role worthy of as much respect as an afficionada of Love Island.

He's POTUS. I would call that rather excellent, especially when you consider the amount of crap he has under his carpet that he came in with..

Edited by StringJunky

1 hour ago, Area54 said:

It is true that he seems able to fool some of the people all of the time, but he has never been able to fool all of the people some of the time. 

Right, he is able to fool 1/3 of Americans ALL THE TIME.  That merits the very excellent moniker "world-class con artist."

Edited by Airbrush