I've been having a problem...

Over the past month or so, I haven't slept much at all. It's been an average of like 4-6 hours a night, with sometimes not being able to sleep at all and other times sleeping for 18 hours or so straight (waking up once or twice but immediatly afterwords). Generally, I'm really tired/exausted and want to go to sleep, but when I lay down, suddenly I'm wide awake. I tried warm milk, a lavender extract senct placed on the pillow (a friend suggested it), I even tried NyQuil. I haven't tried sleeping pills (I can't really afford to because I actually have to wake up at a certain time). But, also within the past 3 weeks or so, I don't get hungry. I've actually gone two days without eating, and didn't even notice until it came up in conversation with someone at work (a fast food establishment at that) when I'm trying to remember when the last time I ate was and I'm like, 2 days ago!?!?!?!? I should eat something!

This is starting to scare me. I won't have time really to go see a doctor to see if it's something physical until tuesday or wednesday, so I thought I might ask some of you and see if anyone might think of some possible explination for this happening to me.

I could be wrong, but I'm only speaking from experience, and from what I know, this sounds like a complete mess up of your sleeping cycle. I've had such a problem before. For most people, you're body automatically becomes exhausted at around 11pm or 12am, and then you want to sleep. When you take your sleep at night, your body thinks you're taking a nap, and so you only can sleep for 4-5 hours, then feel refreshed for another 7-8 hours. When it's actually time for your body to take the "full-night sleep", you can't, and the perpetual cycle continues on.

In anycase, I think seeking professional medical attention would be the right choice.

how might you suggest curing what you described? how did you anyway (if you did...) Cuz, I definatly start school in 8 days, and I can't afford to be like this. It's already effecting me at work, and if it effects me at school, I'll be completely screwed.

excercise helps stress?

Big time. Exercise switches the body from the sympathetic nervous system response to a parasympathetic nervous response. The sympathetic is involved in the pumped up adrenaline state when you are stressed and the parasympathetic is the relaxed state. Just don't try to exercise right before you want to go to sleep.

If you meditate when you're ready to go to sleep, it'll be a lot easier. I've never had sleeping problems but I used to be much lighter sleeper and know...Try thinking about nothing, and not moving in your bed. A restless mind wont sleep.

Also, you're a teenager? Between certain ages (teens), for some reason, people stay up later. You might find it easier to go to sleep if you went to bed latter (this was my problem). Not necessarily doing anything more then watching TV, but staying up. There's so much evidence for this that many experts are urging schools to start latter so students can get more sleep. After a certain age we start going to bed earlier.

Oh, everybody forgets to eat sometime. If a person's not hungry, then there could be a problem. Maybe you were really busy the past couple days. After a while we can even forget that we're hungry. This is why smelling food is appetizing... (There's a term for this...it's the same reason we forget there's a smell. It's explained along the lines of the sensation not being unique anymore so it's not acknowledged as strongly, or something.)

I have the same problem at the end of every summer when its time to go back to school =P luckily this year im done with school =D. Usually start with me being up all night and getting my entire sleep schedule messed up like mezarashi said. In the last few days i usually just force myself to get up at like 6 each morning, that way you WILL be tired in the evening around 9ish,and thus getting back on the "normal" sleep pattern.

it`s also very common when it`s unusualy hot during a heatwave for instance' date=' appetite drops off and sleep is lousey if you can even get some.

has it been particularly warm where you are?[/quote']

I was for a week in the middle of this... but i don't think it's connected. Becides, my room is kept nicely at 68°F, so I don't see how it being hot outside effects it.

Anyway, after taking advice from LucidDreamer, I got a really good nights sleep.

Thanks much. (We'll see if it happens again...)

This is starting to scare me. I won't have time really to go see a doctor to see if it's something physical until tuesday or wednesday, so I thought I might ask some of you and see if anyone might think of some possible explination for this happening to me.

Hi BobbyJoeCool. I have some suggestions.

1. Avoid soda pops, white flour products, sweets and junk foods like chips, hot dogs, burgers, et al.

2. Don't drink over one cup of coffee per day. The caffine is accumulative in your system.

3. Go for the wholesome health foods like raw fruits and vegies, but don't mix fruits and vegies in the same meal.

4. Don't eat after 7 p m. (important because you want your digestive system to not be working at bed time.

5. Don't drink aclohol because it makes you sleepy and you wake up when you're needing to sleep.

6. Get minerals suppliments in solution, especially magnesium. There's a product called Mineral Rich which is all natural and safe as a food. Maximum Living is a company that has the Mineral Rich which has the multiple minerals in solution. Magnesium difficiency can cause insomnia. You can also go to the Save-A-Lot and other grocery stores and buy Magnesium Citrate in solution for under a dollar a bottle. I take a swig of this first thing in the morning.

7. Don't get over stimulated by violent TV, et al

8. Camomile and catnip tea are good.

9. There's a product called Sweet Sleep which has a great combination of good natural things in it such as magnesium, calcium Vit B6, inositol and melatonin.

10. You can go in health food stores and get some of these things.

11. Heavy protein dinners eaten late in the day are counterproductive to good sleep. Lighter meals later in the day are best.

12. Get on a good B complex suppliment to take with meals with niacin which enhances good sleep.

13. Don't sleep with night lights. Dark is good for sleep because in darkness your body produces more of the hormone, melatonin which helps you sleep.

13. Pray to God through Jesus for enlightment and help. I will pray for you also. :cool:

The Sweet Sleep is also put out by Maximum Living products along with Mineral Rich. Do a Google on them and you can find them. Sweet Sleep is all natural products and safe. I don't have any problem oversleeping with it, but if you do, go with half a pill.

Sorry, this made me shutter violently.

Really? Do you mean "shudder?" I ask because back in the 50s when I was in the Air Force, I invited a friend airman to an evangelical church meeting in which some businessmen from Amarillo gave their testimony of what Jesus had done in their lives. My friend who had never been in an evangelical service began to be convicted by the Holy Spirit and began to shudder/shake so violently that he needed to hold on to the rail of the pew in front of him. That did'nt do it so he ran out of the church and waited in the car until the service was over. He received Jesus as his saviour and lord after a couple of weeks or so. What about my other suggestions? No?

Really? Do you mean "shudder?" I ask because back in the 50s when I was in the Air Force, I invited a friend airman to an evangelical church meeting in which some businessmen from Amarillo gave their testimony of what Jesus had done in their lives. My friend who had never been in an evangelical service began to be convicted by the Holy Spirit and began to shudder/shake so violently that he needed to hold on to the rail of the pew in front of him. That did'nt do it so he ran out of the church and waited in the car until the service was over. He received Jesus as his saviour and lord after a couple of weeks or so. What about my other suggestions? No?

I had an experience like this once... At the time, I couldn't explain it. But now I know that since I had never known what a real friend was (everyone wanted to use me for my brain my whole life, imagine that. Especially since I was 18 at the time this happened), that the feeling that someone really cared overwhelmed me. For a while, I was "saved." But I realized what happened later, and the whole thing now is kinda a bad thing, because Creationists took advantage of me when I was in a weak situation, and tried to convert me to their ways of evil.

So, every time someone invites me to a Church, or starts talking about how they're praying for me or whatnot, I feel the presence of evil, and shudder.

And that's my testimony. I would like to thank this site for completing the process of bringing me back to the light of the truth. :)

all I'm going to say is curse you time magazine

now back on topic

The method I find best in trying to get to sleep is to take deep paced breaths, not to slow and not to fast. One problem our body has is that it won't sleep if it doesn't feel your getting enough oxygen.

I had an experience like this once... At the time' date=' I couldn't explain it. But now I know that since I had never known what a real friend was (everyone wanted to use me for my brain my whole life, imagine that. Especially since I was 18 at the time this happened), that the feeling that someone [i']really[/i] cared overwhelmed me. For a while, I was "saved." But I realized what happened later, and the whole thing now is kinda a bad thing, because Creationists took advantage of me when I was in a weak situation, and tried to convert me to their ways of evil.

So, every time someone invites me to a Church, or starts talking about how they're praying for me or whatnot, I feel the presence of evil, and shudder.

And that's my testimony. I would like to thank this site for completing the process of bringing me back to the light of the truth. :)

You opened this thread with this request in your message one op.

"This is starting to scare me. I won't have time really to go see a doctor to see if it's something physical until tuesday or wednesday, so I thought I might ask some of you and see if anyone might think of some possible explination for this happening to me."

Now you are giving thanks for "bringing me back to the light of the truth."

1. What light of truth, specifically, and who gave it?

2. How has this "truth," by "completing the process" solved the specific problems you were having, such as sleep and eating, et al?

3. Are these problems now solved, with you sleeping and eating normally?