Airbrush

Questioning the Basis of Christianity

22 hours ago, Casio said:

From what I understand God put the serpent into the garden to watch over Adam and Eve.

Looks like He screwed up.

1 hour ago, John Cuthber said:

Looks like He screwed up.

Given the Almighty is supposed to be the Alpha and Omega and know or understand everything, his wisdom has clearly proven that it is only as good as his weakest link.

"...According to Catholic doctrine, Jesus' death satisfied the wrath of God, aroused by the offense to God's honor caused by human's [Adam & Eve's] sinfulness."

"...In Protestant theology, Jesus' death is regarded as a substitutionary penalty carried by Jesus, for the debt that has to be paid by humankind when it broke God's moral law."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christianity

This sounds like man created god according to man's own image and likeness, including wrath and offense to God's "honor."

Ha! You guys seem at peace with the evil demonic power and you are trying to discuss Christianity which is the Resistance, essentially. When you fight spiritually you can see how it works.

Jesus was born a Jew, his father was a Jew, his mother was also a Jew, Mary is not a Jewish name, how can you get something as important as that wrong?

19 minutes ago, Polykephalous said:

his father was a Jew

God is Jewish?

9 hours ago, Polykephalous said:

Mary is not a Jewish name

It is a translation of (ultimately) Maryam:

Mary is a feminine given name, the English form of the name Maria, which was in turn a Latin form of the Greek name Μαρία (María), found in the New Testament. Both variants reflect Syro-AramaicMaryam, itself a variant of the Hebrew name מִרְיָם or Miryam.[1]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_(name)

6 hours ago, Strange said:

It is a translation of (ultimately) Maryam:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_(name)

So someone decided that one of the most important characters in Christianity should no longer be known as "Maryam" because that makes her a foreigner, so her name was changed to Mary or Maria to pacify any objections to her origins and Jesus. 

14 minutes ago, Polykephalous said:

So someone decided that one of the most important characters in Christianity should no longer be known as "Maryam" because that makes her a foreigner, so her name was changed to Mary or Maria to pacify any objections to her origins and Jesus. 

How do you know that?

1 hour ago, Polykephalous said:

What? No. The book was translated multiple times into different languages. At each translation, words (including names) were translated into the new language.

I can see that might be a bit hard to understand, but I'm sure it will make sense if you think about it for a bit.

But you can always read it in the original Aramaic or Greek, if you prefer.

Posted (edited)

Trying to use reason to understand the internal arguments of religion is as hopeless as trying to thread a needle through a loop.

Edited by joigus

On 7/26/2020 at 6:16 PM, Strange said:

What? No. The book was translated multiple times into different languages. At each translation, words (including names) were translated into the new language.

I can see that might be a bit hard to understand, but I'm sure it will make sense if you think about it for a bit.

But you can always read it in the original Aramaic or Greek, if you prefer.

So the translator had no respect for facts or reverence for Maryam and made the decision to change her name to something more comfortable and acceptable to the English. Wow, does this mean that other  things in the bible have been translated incorrectly for the comfort of the English? How come they didn't also translate Jesus to something like John or Colin? 

6 hours ago, Polykephalous said:

So the translator had no respect for facts or reverence for Maryam and made the decision to change her name to something more comfortable and acceptable to the English.

It is called "translation" for a reason.

Wow, does this mean that other  things in the bible have been translated incorrectly for the comfort of the English?

Lots of things have been mistranslated. Either because it wasn't known what the original word means, or because it describes something unfamiliar to a European audience.

How come they didn't also translate Jesus to something like John or Colin? 

Jesus is the English translation of Yeshua (via Greek).

(I assume you are just mucking about, here, "or the craic")

On 7/29/2020 at 8:59 AM, Strange said:

Lots of things have been mistranslated. Either because it wasn't known what the original word means, or because it describes something unfamiliar to a European audience.

On 7/29/2020 at 8:59 AM, Strange said:

Mucking about infers humour, as in "One for the crack", I have just had someone tell me that Mary is not the correct name because the real name "Maryam" couldn't be used in the English language so the translator improvised. Oh and in Greek her name is "Agia Maria".

Mucking about infers humour, as in "One for the crack",

"craic" not crack.

I have just had someone tell me that Mary is not the correct name because the real name "Maryam" couldn't be used in the English language so the translator improvised.

Really? Why told you that? No one on this forum.

Oh and in Greek her name is "Agia Maria".

Yes, the English name "Mary" came from the Greek. (See my earlier post, where I said exactly this.)

Dictionary

craic
/krak/

noun
IRISH
  1. variant spelling of crack

Origin
14563e1688d8e71d455c4612f3de779e3c78618a

3 minutes ago, Polykephalous said:
Dictionary

craic
/krak/

noun
IRISH
  1. variant spelling of crack

Origin
14563e1688d8e71d455c4612f3de779e3c78618a

Irony intended? 😊

Just trying to educate and myself be educated by a "Varient Christian". (To my American "brothers", that's sarcsm!).