Sleep and time

Othmane Dahi

11 minutes ago, Othmane Dahi said:

Hey guys,

Have you ever thought that maybe we see the future when we are asleep ?

to someones, this already happens. but other ones do not accept it. This means ,it depends on whose sleep and whose comment. 

generally the people who are not knowledgeable do not take attention. :) 

could you specify which type of information you would like us to provide?

or which type of information  you are looking for?

Edited by ahmet

16 minutes ago, Othmane Dahi said:

Hey guys,

No.

Is the future going to be full of surreal scenes of cats playing chess while the postman pushes ice-cream into a wood-chipper?

12 minutes ago, ahmet said:

to someones, this already happens.

Really?

1 minute ago, MigL said:

You have to stop eating fried foods, or drinking coffee, before bedtime, Strange; you have some pretty disturbing dreams.
( I still dream about women )

Actually, I almost never dream (remember my dreams, more accurately) so I struggled to think of something suitable bizarre!

1 minute ago, MigL said:

Well, let's hope that is in your future 🙂

12 minutes ago, MigL said:

You have to stop eating fried foods, or drinking coffee, before bedtime, Strange; you have some pretty disturbing dreams.

Whenever I remember my dreams, it's about beautiful women who want me and doors that instantly connect parts of my world that are far away, and I get from one to the other in an instant. Once I dreamt I was explaining an idea I'd had to Leonard Susskind. I'm pretty sure none of that is in my future. I'm single, frustrated theorist and I hate to travel long distances. So based on my experience I'd say dreams are about your feeling of incompleteness, rather than the future.

Edited by joigus
minor stylistic correction

Dreaming is a process of organizing thoughts in new ways. Memories get consolidated, and it happens while our normal connection between our brain and our body is “severed” ... much like our normal connection to time while we dream can be discarded. 

I don’t believe we see the future in our dreams. I believe instead that our conscious mind struggles to make sense of these more unconscious processes and so applies narratives which DO make sense to us. These narratives are not tied to specific events and so are not anchored to chronology in the normal way our daily experiences are. 

These narratives and insights and feelings are essentially intuitions that we selectively remember at a later time (“hey... this pattern I’m seeing right now IRL is incredibly similar to that pattern I experienced all those weeks ago in my dream!”). We then call this feeling deja vu or mistakenly describe it as precognition. Its a pattern, and humans are incredibly good at finding patterns even where none exist.

Note: This is my own conjecture, not necessarily a representation of the most current research. Apologies for inserting a speculation into a non-speculative thread. 

1 minute ago, Othmane Dahi said:

I don't know how to reply to a message is this normal as I am new ? or am I dumb

Could be both. Hit the quote button. 

3 hours ago, MigL said:

hahaha :) :) :)

3 hours ago, Strange said:

Really?

yes, sometimes happens to me too. I say; it is possible. but if you are asking the reality: I think now, no one can know the future via dreams when they are asleep, except some very specific people. but this issue will probably extend or have a relevance with a belief. 

Edited by ahmet

3 hours ago, ahmet said:

to someones, this already happens. but other ones do not accept it. This means ,it depends on whose sleep and whose comment. 

generally the people who are not knowledgeable do not take attention. :) 

could you specify which type of information you would like us to provide?

or which type of information  you are looking for?

I heard of that too but I am not sure of it

3 hours ago, Strange said:

Is the future going to be full of surreal scenes of cats playing chess while the postman pushes ice-cream into a wood-chipper?

and maybe future can be changed

2 hours ago, MigL said:

You have to stop eating fried foods, or drinking coffee, before bedtime,

I don't

2 hours ago, iNow said:

Dreaming is a process of organizing thoughts in new ways. Memories get consolidated, and it happens while our normal connection between our brain and our body is “severed” ... much like our normal connection to time while we dream can be discarded. 

I don’t believe we see the future in our dreams. I believe instead that our conscious mind struggles to make sense of these more unconscious processes and so applies narratives which DO make sense to us. These narratives are not tied to specific events and so are not anchored to chronology in the normal way our daily experiences are. 

These narratives and insights and feelings are essentially intuitions that we selectively remember at a later time (“hey... this pattern I’m seeing right now IRL is incredibly similar to that pattern I experienced all those weeks ago in my dream!”). We then call this feeling deja vu or mistakenly describe it as precognition. Its a pattern, and humans are incredibly good at finding patterns even where none exist.

Note: This is my own conjecture, not necessarily a representation of the most current research. Apologies for inserting a speculation into a non-speculative thread. 

I get ur point thanks

2 hours ago, iNow said:

+1. Don't forget this is the philosophy forum. Conjectures are as enthusiastically embraced by some as vehemently opposed by others.

I earnestly hope not. I've had dreams that would be bad for our whole species.

Practically speaking you never actually gain any outside knowledge as you dream beyond what your standard senses provide. If it is something possible/probable you might however imagine it occurring only to see it actually happen later. Should note that false memories can also play a role here.

Edited by Endy0816

Folks who use psychotropic drugs like pot and other mild hallucinogens also tend to experience “misfires” in mapping time to current experiences and the brain seems to miscode the event as “future” or “past.”

7 minutes ago, iNow said:

Folks who use psychotropic drugs like pot and other mild hallucinogens also tend to experience “misfires” in mapping time to current experiences and the brain seems to miscode the event as “future” or “past.”

presumably, you forgot to mention only some of that patients (not all of them are so) or otherwise,I can be sure that you are not psychiatrist/a medical doctor who is specialized in psychiatry

Edited by ahmet

1 hour ago, ahmet said:

presumably, you forgot to mention only some of that patients (not all of them are so) or otherwise

It’s challenging to parse this salad of words, but you appear to suggest that only some users of psychotropic drugs experience the aforementioned misfires of time encoding in their brain. If so, I agree. That’s why I said “tend to,” as in “there’s a tendency for this to happen,” not a mandate or requirement. 

If, however, I’ve misunderstood your intended point... the part of your post which wasn’t needlessly personal against me and suggestive of my lack of expertise... then kindly please clarify your specific concern(s) with my post and I will happily reply, elaborate, or even retract it, if appropriate. 

Edited by iNow

37 minutes ago, iNow said:

It’s challenging to parse this salad of words, but you appear to suggest that only some users of psychotropic drugs experience the aforementioned misfires of time encoding in their brain. If so, I agree. That’s why I said “tend to,” as in “there’s a tendency for this to happen,” not a mandate or requirement. 

yeah,yes I did mean so. sorry for missing detail. but again .. not all of them will have tendency. (maybe there might be a scientific research about this?)

although,I have no expertise in this area,I know that not all of them are typical. there are some content that might be relevant to this issue for instance some keywords like GABA ,glutamate, dopamine,etc (I am unable to dominate all the content but..). I also  can mean that some sympoms are interferrable ,but not all of symptoms ,exactly and of course. 

Edited by ahmet

29 minutes ago, iNow said:

Research into what exactly? How cannabis use increases chances of false memory and leads to problems with temporal encoding?

https://www.pnas.org/content/117/9/4585

no. any article that proves that sentences exactly with the suitable  response in our  real life. maybe like this : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4106628/

• 2 months later...
On 6/21/2020 at 2:41 PM, Othmane Dahi said:

In my teens I Imagined this might well be possible. For a couple of months I documented my dreams and looked for evidence of their predictive content. Sure, I dreamt I went to school - but then I did that every weekday, so it wasn't much as a prediction!. Any distinctive event in my dreams distinguished itself in reality by not happening. Unsuprisingly this loosely scientific effort produced the same results as more serious and properly conducted tests have revealed: dreams don't appear to be predictive.

On 6/21/2020 at 3:12 PM, MigL said:

Women dream about me!

(I suppose nightmares might be more accurate than dreams.)