Wireshark: Network interfaces and capturing packets

zak100

Hi,

I am seeing a tutorial, it shows me the interfaces which I have on my computer but wireshark is showing me different interfaces. I have attached the image of both the tutorial and what I am seeing on the wireshark.

Somebody please guide me how to select the interfaces related to my computer and how to capture the packets

Zulfi.

opening window.jpg

interfaces shown on the tutorial.jpg

Edited by zak100

2 hours ago, zak100 said:

I am seeing a tutorial, it shows me the interfaces which I have on my computer but wireshark is showing me different interfaces. I have attached the image of both the tutorial and what I am seeing on the wireshark.

Which of the pictures is the tutorial and which picture is from the Wireshark you are trying to use?

What is the operating system? Interface names may differ. 

What type of interface will be captured? For example wireless have different names than ehternet.

Are all the correct libraries installed for the operating system? Example: Wireshark on windows requires npcap as far as I know

What did you find in the documentation for Wireshark? For instance in the resources provided at https://www.wireshark.org/#learnWS ?

I am seeing a tutorial, it shows me the interfaces which I have on my computer but wireshark is showing me different interfaces. 

I am assuming it is the tutorial to ping google and get the interfaces shown, you didn't apply the filter for google. It is highly unlikely to be the same as what is in the tutorial but you look to be doing the correct thing.

Hi All,

Thanks for your response.

First picture is mine. Second one which has the label "Network Analyzer belongs to the tutorial". I am using Ubuntu 18.04.

Yesterday I closed it and open several after that I was able to see the correct ports and I was able to do capturing also but today I am seeing the same image  as image 1.

I have ether0 interface but it was showing me some thing en.. (i think 3 more letters after it).

I am watching the videos.

I would try some browsing.

Zulfi.

Hi thanks all,

Ghideon your advise was good. I infact installed the wireshark yesterday but some how it was old. I did  not check its version. Its on my virtual machine but today some how I installed the

wireshark again and its a latest version. I am attaching its image.

God blesses you all.

Zulfi. 

image of latest version.jpg