Moeller's diagram

cogujada

Hey, I study chemical engineering in Madrid (Spain).
Here, teachers do not like Moeller's diagram (my teacher, for example, has forbidden using it, and instead we use the Aufbau principle, which is similar). I don't know if this happens in your countries, but if it does happen, what are the reasons for this happening?
I mean, I don't think there's anything wrong with it.
Cheers.

There's quite a bit wrong with Moeller's diagram. Some s/d orbitals (and some d/f I think) start violating it because they get very close in energy. If you try to fill in the levels by Moeller, you get the electronic configuration wrong. I think that's the reason why your teacher doesn't like it.

You can still use it if you remember the exceptions.

2 hours ago, joigus said:

There's quite a bit wrong with Moeller's diagram. Some s/d orbitals (and some d/f I think) start violating it because they get very close in energy. If you try to fill in the levels by Moeller, you get the electronic configuration wrong. I think that's the reason why your teacher doesn't like it.

You can still use it if you remember the exceptions.

Yeah that makes sense to me. Some people told me that it was because Moeller's diagram didn't contemplate exceptions on Nb, Cr, Mo, Cu, Ag, Au, Pd and Pt electronic configuration, but I think (maybe I'm wrong) that Aufbau principle does not contemplate that either. 

That makes a lot of sense to me. I was looking for some reason to stop using it, and I found one so in a way, you've changed my way of thinking, feel proud!