Documentary on native Indian in Americas

nec209

I saw this documentary on native Indians in America’s and it goes on to say they came about 10,000 to 14,000 years ago and most them are Siberian and Chinese .

I find this a bit questionable that they think they came from Russia and China and are people from there.  People from China or Siberian do not look like natives. So why does the documentary say that?

In your first sentence, you say, "most of them are Siberian and Chinese."

In your next sentence, you say, "This is questionable... I think instead most of them came from Russian and China."

Just wondering... you do know that Chinese people came from China? Also, you do know that Siberia is a part of Russia? You realize your question doesn't make  a ton of sense, or even a few grams of it?

Anyway... you'd have to ask the makers of the documentary why they claimed what they did or what their sources were. Most info suggests the Clovis people came from the Siberia area, but also our current borders were not yet there 15-25,000 years ago so it's entirely possible they came from that whole area. 

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2018/11/ancient-dna-reveals-complex-migrations-first-americans/

On 6/12/2020 at 11:25 AM, nec209 said:

I saw this documentary on native Indians in America’s and it goes on to say they came about 10,000 to 14,000 years ago and most them are Siberian and Chinese .

I find this a bit questionable that they think they came from Russia and China and are people from there.  People from China or Siberian do not look like natives. So why does the documentary say that?

There is a lot of variety in Siberia and China. So I don't think you can really say there is a single "look". People also got to the Americas from other places at different times, so the native population would have had a bit of a mixed background.

One common trait that is common in Asia is the epicanthic fold (which gives eyes their distinctive appearance) this is also common among native Americans. 

Really, "it doesn't look like it to me" is about the lowest possible standard to judge something. Using objective evidence is better.

On 6/13/2020 at 11:34 AM, Strange said:

There is a lot of variety in Siberia and China. So I don't think you can really say there is a single "look". People also got to the Americas from other places at different times, so the native population would have had a bit of a mixed background.

One common trait that is common in Asia is the epicanthic fold (which gives eyes their distinctive appearance) this is also common among native Americans. 

Really, "it doesn't look like it to me" is about the lowest possible standard to judge something. Using objective evidence is better.

Yea I think that is what he was saying here that some may come from Philippines and from Mongolia.

It makes sense lot of Mongolia people look similar to the natives.

But I'm not sure if 90% main stream media and schools support that theory?

21 minutes ago, nec209 said:

Yea I think that is what he was saying here that some may come from Philippines and from Mongolia.

So the documentary said that people came to the Americas from Siberia, China, Mongolia and the Philippines?

I have never heard those last two mentioned before. I wonder how reliable the information in this documentary was, in that case.

There is general agreement among anthropologists that the source populations for the migration into the Americas originated from an area somewhere east of the Yenisei River (Russian Far East). 

A 2019 study suggested that Native Americans are the closest living relatives to 10,000-year-old fossils found near the Kolyma River in northeastern Siberia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlement_of_the_Americas

• 1 month later...

The OP may be interested to hear that the latest archaeological finds indicate that...

Stone tools unearthed in a cave in central Mexico and other evidence from 42 far-flung archeological sites indicate people arrived in North America - a milestone in human history - earlier than previously known, upwards of 30,000 years ago.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-science-cave/mexican-cave-artifacts-show-earlier-arrival-of-humans-in-north-america-idUSKCN24N26V

However, the author does not seem to be aware of an earlier 'discovery'

Radiocarbon tests of carbonized plant remains where artifacts were unearthed last May along the Savannah River in Allendale County by University of South Carolina archaeologist Dr. Albert Goodyear indicate that the sediments containing these artifacts are at least 50,000 years old...

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2004/11/041118104010.htm

It's not clear how the former finds have been dated, but I assume radiocarbon dating techniques in 2004 were pretty accurate.

Edited by Dord

1 hour ago, Dord said:

The OP may be interested to hear that the latest archaeological finds indicate that...

BBC Science has an interesting article on this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-53486868

One thing they discuss is a second optological dating technique that corroborates the radiocarbon  method.

Back to the OP

One of the commonalities is the 'Innuit'

The Western author Louis Lamour wrote one of his epic novels using this fact about a US pilot that was shot down over Siberia, but made his way back to Alaska via the old route over several years.

IMHO it is a really good read.

(Wish I could remember the name of it)

Edited by studiot

12 hours ago, studiot said:

The Western author Louis Lamour wrote one of his epic novels using this fact about a US pilot that was shot down over Siberia, but made his way back to Alaska via the old route over several years.

IMHO it is a really good read.

(Wish I could remember the name of it)

Last of the Breed. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Last_of_the_Breed

I now have a new bedtime book. Thank you 

On 6/14/2020 at 6:43 PM, Strange said:

So the documentary said that people came to the Americas from Siberia, China, Mongolia and the Philippines?

I have never heard those last two mentioned before. I wonder how reliable the information in this documentary was, in that case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Settlement_of_the_Americas

The part about the Philippines seem really odd. That why I question the documentary.

I think like you said most scientist believe Siberia, China and Mongolia is where they came from.