Mosquito repellents...

Externet

Hi all.

DEET has been the champion since a long time.  Some 'essential' oils follow with a degree of wizardry and old lady tales included.  Recently, the clothesdryer sheets.

What has worked for you, and even better, were you able to produce it at home with simple chemicals ?  Heard about vinegar, alcohol, cinnamon, lemon peel,...   Ignore 'natural', 'green' , 'healthy' , just what really works.

What about soybean oil as main ingredient at a million percent markup ?

Tea tree oil, can be diluted quite a bit. 150 ml to a litre works well enough. Mosquitos still hang around and even land, but I haven't had an actual bite while wearing this and the product has quite a few other uses that make it a handy item. ( disinfectant, fungicide etc)

There must be a genetic disposition to being bitten.  Neither I nor my close family get bit - ever - but most extended family members do; some quite severly.

Even when I was stationed Central America living for extended periods in the jungle I didn't get bit, unlike my poor team mates. Maybe I don't taste nice or it could be down to having some form of evolutionary immunity due to my white-African heritage.

Anyhoo, military personnel the world over swear by a spray called Avon Skin So Soft. It's cheap and apparently very effective.

de62f7db-49da-43be-b906-b68fe0c57e0e.jpg

3 hours ago, Dord said:

There must be a genetic disposition to being bitten.  Neither I nor my close family get bit - ever - but most extended family members do; some quite severly.

Even when I was stationed Central America living for extended periods in the jungle I didn't get bit, unlike my poor team mates. Maybe I don't taste nice or it could be down to having some form of evolutionary immunity due to my white-African heritage.

Anyhoo, military personnel the world over swear by a spray called Avon Skin So Soft. It's cheap and apparently very effective.

de62f7db-49da-43be-b906-b68fe0c57e0e.jpg

I've used it for decades. Works like a charm for me and smells a hell of a lot better than Deep Woods Off.

• 1 month later...

Not exactly sure about how it works, but I've heard that mosquitoes don't like vanillin. There are some warnings that surround it, too. Can't use imitation vanilla products, can't contain sugars or syrups because some insects are attracted to it, and can't have too low of a percentage when mixing it in a solution. (Needs to be higher than 50% some sources say)