Split from Split from What makes us like music?

Edgard Neuman

I think it's simpler than that.. my theory is that we share with mammals a language based on frequencies... frequencies going up imply a positive message or a danger, action to do.. frequencies going down imply end of danger, sadness/negative message.. 
we find this in two things in human :
- the tones (interrogative / assertive etc) of phrases
You can hear it in dog and cats, in babbling toddlers mimicking a dialogue etc... Just take a dialogue and remove the meaningful sounds to keep only base tone and rythm and you get the music of it, expressing emotions
- and in music..
music  allow to express stories using notes :

• going up or going down note express sentimentals values of events (positive negatives etc)
  • repetition and rhythm to express strength and resolution of events, contextualization and relations between the forces in place (little events or big events etc.. a lasting note imply a lasting effect, repeating a note imply hammering effort) 
  • most stories goes from a situation of stability to an other situation of stability, that's why most melodies start and end with the same note..
  • a succession of note going up meaning a positive event, and note going down or under the mean note imply set backs and adversities.. 
  • a repetitive background melody imply the setting of the story, while rhythm breaks imply unexpected events 
  • instruments can than be use to impersonate different characters or forces etc (mostly in orchestral music) 
  • all of the above can be done at different time scale (for instance a music can repeat a whole section with a note up or down) and the story can have different parts with variable notes and various rythmes
  • chords (notes with resonating harmonics) make all of it much more subtle

I can analyse most melodies this way and I often find a relationship with the lyrics associated

Edited by Edgard Neuman