Systemic racism (split from The Killing of George Floyd: The Last Straw?)

Moreno

On 6/9/2020 at 8:18 AM, swansont said:

Yes, it’s part of systemic racism, because whites have the bulk if the power to make the rules that give them an advantage. It doesn’t matter that they are leveraging power against poor folks; that just hides the racism under a veneer. The US has laws that would prevent overtly racist rules. 

The imbalance of power is one problem, and the disproportionate way it is exerted, or the disproportionate impact, is another.

Sorry for the delayed response.

OK, I will agree it is a place where racism can take place, and though I think that can be almost anywhere the power balance overall in this adds to the problem, despite the fact that most laws are generally in place to protect both parties, employer and employee. In a dispute they might protect one side more so, and if it is a white employer and minority employee that can be seen, or actually be, part of our systemic racism problem.

What can, or should, be done about it? 

1 hour ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

Sorry for the delayed response.

OK, I will agree it is a place where racism can take place, and though I think that can be almost anywhere the power balance overall in this adds to the problem, despite the fact that most laws are generally in place to protect both parties, employer and employee. In a dispute they might protect one side more so, and if it is a white employer and minority employee that can be seen, or actually be, part of our systemic racism problem.

What can, or should, be done about it? 

I disagree it’s most laws, and the power inherently lies with the employer. The employers have more influence with lawmakers, and the majority has more influence despite everyone supposedly having equal rights.