Give-Away Invention Ideas

Airbrush

Anyone have ideas for inventions that you know you will never bother to get a patent and try to promote?

Here are a few ideas I have had.  Please take them and run if you like.

1.  Use "rubber finger tips" for flossing your teeth.  In office supply stores they have little boxes of rubber finger tips for clerical workers or anyone to manipulate paper.  The medium size are just right for me.  For decades I have used rubber finger tips to wind the floss on my 2 index fingers.  The most painful thing about flossing is the constriction of my index fingers.  This can be made fun for kids by having rubber finger tips look like cartoon alligators.  The kids will put little alligators on their index fingers to wind the floss and NO PAIN!!  I actually have been using Plackers, a tiny plastic tool with floss on one end the past 10 years.

2. The super duper windshield wiper blades.  Ever notice that your windshield wiper blades don't remove the most stubborn bird dung crushed insects?  Have a sharp metal or plastic, double-edged blade that is serrated like shark teeth, under the rubber blade.  This will sharpen itself as it operates and it will slice thru the most stubborn spots on your windshield.

3. The passive car cooler is a solar-powered system, using an evaporative cooler, that makes it impossible for any pets or children to die inside a car left accidentally in the hot sun.  Solar cells power fans that pull cooler air from under the car and expels the hot air out the ceiling.  This will also allow people to take naps in their car with all the windows up.

The "how to do it" of any of these is above my pay grade.

They already have floss 'bows' where the floss is stretched between two prongs for ease of handling.

Your wiper blades would last about 2 weeks before they were all chewed up with such a system.
All gas stations have squeegees for cleaning your windshield of bird droppings, Or wash your vehicle. Or use Windex.

IIRC the Mazda  929 had a solar powered fan which would circulate cool trunk air into the passenger compartment thereby cooling it somewhat.
Any A/C system which relied on compressing gases would require a lot more power, and possibly a whole roof solar panel.

Don't give up, but you can't run anywhere with these.

1 hour ago, Airbrush said:

The "how to do it" of any of these is above my pay grade.

Ah, just like people with their personal theories: "I'm sure this will work, I just need someone else to do the hard work".

How about a hat with a toilet roll holder on so that you have a continuous supply of tissue during hay-fever season.

Miniature clip-on windscreen wipers for your glasses, for when it is raining.

Electrically heated glass for your glasses, for those times when you come in from the cold and they instantly steam up.

This is a joke thread, right?

1.  Use "rubber finger tips" for flossing your teeth.  In office supply stores they have little boxes of rubber finger tips for clerical workers or anyone to manipulate paper.  The medium size are just right for me.  For decades I have used rubber finger tips to wind the floss on my 2 index fingers.  The most painful thing about flossing is the constriction of my index fingers.

Quite similar to my rubber turtleneck sweater idea, to prevent being assassinated by garrote. 

2. The super duper windshield wiper blades.  Ever notice that your windshield wiper blades don't remove the most stubborn bird dung crushed insects?  Have a sharp metal or plastic, double-edged blade that is serrated like shark teeth, under the rubber blade.  This will sharpen itself as it operates and it will slice thru the most stubborn spots on your windshield.

That'll teach those bugs! They'll never have the guts to do THAT again. 

+1 for the thread idea. How about a default setting for when an occupied car reaches X degrees all of the electric windows open? (saving your pitbull from overheating and releasing him to ravage 83 year old grandmas in the parking area)

On 6/2/2020 at 7:39 PM, Airbrush said:

... makes it impossible ... to die...

That wording made me laugh :)... Did you ever try copywriting - I think you might have a talent.

Few less-practical ideas of my own:

- I sometimes dream of a small USB device that I can connect to my laptop and use to torture it. I would love to torture my laptop sometimes. Is it only me?

- A small scale producer can put QR code to packages of its chicken breast, pork, beef steak. This should lead me to a web page where I could see the animal (being born, having play, suckling, growing up etc.... and a short description of its character). Well, I would even like to see the tree my toothpick is made from.

So I guess nobody can think of an invention idea that they would never bother to develop.  Too bad.

As for flossing using rubber finger tips, does anyone still wind floss around their fingers to floss?  My mom taught me to floss that way.  I suffered many years, daily, from the pain of constricting my index finger tips until about the age of 35 when I thought of using rubber finger tips.  That was a huge improvement.  It gave me great control in flossing, with no finger pain at all!  Later I discovered those little flossing "bows" called Plackers. 

Now imagine a cartoon alligator finger puppet that is a rubber finger tip, but it makes flossing FUN FOR KIDS.  They could imagine wrangling an alligator and tying the gator's mouth shut with floss.  Plackers are too difficult for a child to handle properly.  Using the rubber finger tips is easier for a child to use.  Doesn't anyone want to save millions of children of the world from suffering from flossing?  Or maybe they will not floss at all and suffer dental decay.

Edited by Airbrush

58 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

So I guess nobody can think of an invention idea that they would never bother to develop.  Too bad.

I got one, A way to get rid of the floss entirely and switching over to a single holder type system similar to a tooth brush. It would be motorized in some way shape or form so that you would not need to run and back and forth like brushing your teeth. However I am trying to make something else first so I am going to get back to that idea but its here if anyone can think of how to come up with it.

here is a rough abstract depiction

image.png.a885b025ec252abed74df86bba9a2749.png

I love coming up with these sorts of things!

On 6/2/2020 at 2:04 PM, Phi for All said:

They'll never have the guts to do THAT again. 

Har! 

Q. What was the last thing that went through the bug's mind when he hit the windshield?

A. His ass.

Doesn't anyone want to save millions of children of the world from suffering from flossing?

Maybe it's just me but I think you may be flossing incorrectly. I wrap floss around my fingers to floss my teeth and it never hurts.

29 minutes ago, zapatos said:

....Maybe it's just me but I think you may be flossing incorrectly. I wrap floss around my fingers to floss my teeth and it never hurts.

Then that means (maybe) there is little resistance between all or most of your teeth.  When there is resistance it causes the floss to constrict my index finger tips so they turn purple, leaving ligature marks.  By using rubber finger tips that removed all pain from flossing!  The other idea is a toy that encourages kids to floss.  What's wrong with that?

42 minutes ago, ALine said:

I got one, A way to get rid of the floss entirely and switching over to a single holder type system similar to a tooth brush. It would be motorized in some way shape or form so that you would not need to run and back and forth like brushing your teeth. However I am trying to make something else first so I am going to get back to that idea but its here if anyone can think of how to come up with it.....

Would you care to describe a little more about how to use this?   Do you press a button to advance the floss?   I still think my idea is simpler, cheaper, and does the same thing.  

On 6/2/2020 at 11:27 AM, John Cuthber said:

Srsly..?

Ok you got me.  It is absurd to say anything will prevent anyone from dying in a hot car.  However, a system using solar power and evaporative cooling could be devised to lower the temperature in the hot car enough so that you may reduce such sad events.  Also people may take a nap in their car on a hot day with the windows up, unless it is really hot, like 110 degrees F.

You guessed it, I like to take naps in my car.

Edited by Airbrush

Talk of space travel in other threads has got me thinking...

Setting aside the limitations of our current technical ability, lack of resources and near-certain economical suicide for a moment: could adapting a Dyson Sphere* enable sun light to be used a source of energy for deep space travel?

This is my first draft thinking...

A giant lens fed by an array of mirrors is in such an orbit around the sun that enables it to focus a constant beam of photons towards our spacecraft - much like the way a child tortures ants with a magnifying glass.

The more mirrors there are, the higher the energy reaching the spacecraft which is fitted with a large sail made from photovoltaic panels that converts this energy in to electricity.

The spacecraft cannot out pace the beam so it should receive a constant source of photons as long as it stays in line of sight with the sun.  If required, batteries or capacitors should be able to deal with those (infrequent?) occasions when a celestial body gets in the way.

I don't know enough about intergalactic propulsion systems to say whether electricity can be used to create thrust in the near-vacuum of space, but I'm sure someone will find a way.

I know that cosmic dust would scatter some of the photons so lessen the amount of energy reaching the spacecraft - and increasingly so the further away it gets - but would this be by any significant amount?

Thoughts, anyone?

* www.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dyson_sphere 

Edited by Dord

On 6/5/2020 at 2:55 PM, Airbrush said:

Would you care to describe a little more about how to use this?   Do you press a button to advance the floss?   I still think my idea is simpler, cheaper, and does the same thing. 

yeah sure!

It would be an electronic device that you would press a button like an electronic tooth brush,

when you press the button power is sent to a "motor", again this is still an abstract idea, in which the floss would repeat in a given loop.

The person would then place said repeating floss between there teeth and it would automatically floss in between your teeth for you collecting the gunk in a "trap" so to speak. 

After use you would just empty out the trap.

Rinse and repeat.

On 6/7/2020 at 2:14 PM, ALine said:

....when you press the button power is sent to a "motor" ... in which the floss would repeat in a given loop.

The person would then place said repeating floss between there teeth and it would automatically floss in between your teeth for you collecting the gunk in a "trap" so to speak. 

After use you would just empty out the trap.

Rinse and repeat.

This means I need to buy a number of floss loops for the device.  When a loop breaks then replace it.  Someone, like me, with much resistance between teeth will break the floss loops frequently.  For this to work you must use some thick, tough floss loop to not break so easy.  How long is the loop?

My device, just rubber finger tips, don't wear out.  Any floss can be used.  I hold a piece of paper towel in one hand and catch the gunk with it as I floss.

But now I am using Plackers, little plastic floss bows, which last up to a week before they break.

Edited by Airbrush

1 minute ago, Airbrush said:

This means that one would buy a number of floss loops for the device.  When a loop breaks then you replace it.  Someone, like me, with much resistance between teeth will break the floss loops frequently.  For this to work you must use some thick, tough floss loop to not break so easy.

My device, just rubber finger tips, don't wear out.  Any floss can be used.  I hold a piece of paper towel in one hand and catch the gunk with it as I floss.

But now I am using Plackers little plastic floss bows, which last up to a week before they break.

Thank you for the response,

This is only an abstract concept that I came up with one day without giving it any further thought besides "hey this could be a thing" hence my little knowledge of feasibility. I personally do not think that my idea could be an actual physical product, however seeing that we are just stating invention possibilities I was just analogously shooting off the cuff with my ideas. 

I have not doubt about the feasibility of your idea or how well it preforms in the field,  However again because this thread is intended for just coming up with invention ideas I did not think that feasibility was a prerequisite. 

Apologies if I was not on topic with the idea I submitted.

I have used Plackers myself and have found them more user friendly than conventional floss, one and done is my motto when it comes to teeth care.

On 6/8/2020 at 3:55 PM, ALine said:

Thank you for the response,

This is only an abstract concept that I came up with one day without giving it any further thought besides "hey this could be a thing" hence my little knowledge of feasibility. I personally do not think that my idea could be an actual physical product, however seeing that we are just stating invention possibilities I was just analogously shooting off the cuff with my ideas. 

I have not doubt about the feasibility of your idea or how well it preforms in the field,  However again because this thread is intended for just coming up with invention ideas I did not think that feasibility was a prerequisite. 

Apologies if I was not on topic with the idea I submitted.

I have used Plackers myself and have found them more user friendly than conventional floss, one and done is my motto when it comes to teeth care.

People love gadgets, especially when they think it will do some work for them.  Your device could be a big hit, don't let me or many around here dampen your spirit.

All ideas are welcome here!  This is a brain-storming session.

Does anyone think it is possible to install a car-cabin cooling system (intake vents in the floor and exhaust vent in the ceiling) that is powered by solar cells on the cars' roof (and/or hood) to power an evaporative cooling system for an additional cost of $500 including factory installation?  The system needs to cool the air inside the car at least 10 degrees F below the air temperature outside the car.  During cooler weather you can turn off the system.  But if temperature should climb to 90 degrees F inside the car, the system would start.  You would need to fill your car reservoir with 5 or 10 gallons of water, but only during hot weather.  We use evaporative coolers in Southern California in the summer and we can often avoid using our power-hungry A/C system, except when it goes up over 100 F.

Edited by Airbrush

1 minute ago, Airbrush said:

People love gadgets, especially when they think it will do some work for them.  Your device could be a big hit, don't let me or many around here dampen your spirit.

All ideas are welcome here!  This is a brain-storming session

Apologies, that one's on me. I must have mis-read the situation there. Again sorry about that. Assumed that it was more of a denouncing thing.

4 minutes ago, Airbrush said:

Does anyone think it is possible to install a car-cabin cooling system that is powered by solar cells on the cars' roof (and/or hood) to power an evaporative cooling system for an additional cost of $500 for factory installation?  The system needs to cool the air inside the car at least 10 degrees F below the air temperature outside the car.  Of course, in cooler weather you can turn off the system.  But if temperature should climb to 90 degrees F inside the car, the system would start itself.  You would need to fill your car with 5 or 10 gallons of water besides gas, but only during hot weather

I do not see why not, not very well versed in fluid dynamics nor car systems though.

1.  Creating civilization centers:  Since the first thing a civilization needs is fresh water, deliver huge quantities of sea water to inland deserts for desalination.  This fresh water is used to irrigate areas that were previously only desert, first for subsistence farming for the workers.  As these oases grow in size, they also create forests to remove CO2 from the air.  They get power from solar and wind.  Desalination could be solar powered in that you have hundreds, then thousands of shallow concrete ponds of sea water a few feet deep.  Covering the "pond" is clear plastic or glass (made from desert sand) lensed to magnify sun light to vaporize the water and pass it thru condensers to add to the water supply.

2.  Measuring wave height for big-wave surf competition.  Have a drone that hovers exactly at the height of the crest of approaching waves, as scanners (laser or radar) on the drone detect the lowest point of the trough in front of the wave, relative to the crest.  This would allow the drone to constantly monitor the EXACT height of the wave as it breaks.

Edited by Airbrush