The Killing of George Floyd: The Last Straw?

Alex_Krycek

6 minutes ago, zapatos said:

You said the Republicans use poor Republicans but not in the sacrificial sense that Democrats use the poor Democrats. I was trying to understand how the poor Democrats are sacrificed.

Okay. Thanks Zap. I have to go but will try to reply tomorrow.

55 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

I understood that. And don't disagree.

Thank you, but I didn’t understand your point and asked you to please clarify it.

The entirety of your response to that request is quoted here and it offers me no clarify other than the fact that we agree on my own point. 

• 5 months later...

New data about how deeply police killings in the US have been undercounted for decades. Source here: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)01609-3/fulltext

Summary:

The researchers reveal how “systemic misclassification” in the federal database that tracks the causes of death in America has produced, over four decades, an undercount of more than 17,000 deaths at the hands of police. The proportion of undercounted police killings of Black Americans is even more extreme, the research shows, rising to 60 percent.

The Lancet study casts American police, unequivocally, as a threat to public health. The risk of death-by-cop for an American man in 2019, according to the paper, was higher than the risk of death by testicular cancer, appendicitis, or sexually transmitted disease. These dangers weigh disproportionately on the Black community, as the study emphasizes: “The police have disproportionately killed Black people at a rate of 3.5 times higher than white people.”

<...>

The results of the study are staggering: Over the last four decades, nearly 31,000 Americans died at the hands of police, while fewer than 14,000 of those killings were properly recorded by the government — meaning the federal data “did not report 55.5 percent of all deaths attributable to police violence.” For police killings of Black Americans, the undercounting was greater still, with “5,670 deaths missing” from official federal statistics, “out of an estimated 9,540 total deaths.”

Despite recent scrutiny of police violence, federal underreporting of killings by police remains acute. In 2018, the most recent year of federal data studied, more than half of police killings were not accounted for, with “642 deaths missing out of 1,240 total estimated deaths.” The Lancet study also reveals that the prevalence of police killings has increased sharply during the timeframe of the study, jumping by more than 38 percent between the 1980s and 2010s, on a per capita basis.

A core message here: “Currently, the same government responsible for this violence is also responsible for reporting on it,” and that's an obvious conflict of interest which results in needless problems like these.