The Killing of George Floyd: The Last Straw?

Alex_Krycek

Two possibilities...

Either all four really are that stupid that the didn't realise they were ( actually,already had ) killing a man.
Or they considered themselves so above the law, that they felt they could kill a man in broad daylight, and in front of numerous witnesses.

8 hours ago, MigL said:

Two possibilities...

Either all four really are that stupid that the didn't realise they were ( actually,already had ) killing a man.
Or they considered themselves so above the law, that they felt they could kill a man in broad daylight, and in front of numerous witnesses.

A third is that Chauvin knew what he was doing, and the other 3 believed he was "simply" torturing Floyd, as per playbook.

4 minutes ago, J.C.MacSwell said:

A third is that Chauvin knew what he was doing, and the other 3 believed he was "simply" torturing Floyd, as per playbook.

A forth is that their village has taught them to fear and despise, the people they stole and treated as livestock (just in case they took umbridge). 

It's so strange, how that policy perpetuates the tension; cause they were just doing their job.

Imagine how much better things would be, if the policy was: Ok, hands up, my bad I'm sorry, and as a more concrete apology here's a home (with food water and our education) and a paid job, if you want it, to have more (a prettier home, tastier food and hot and cold water). 

Only then, can we say "all lives matter", with a straight face... 🙄

104463411_10223098668154727_2817866054121578289_n.jpg

Both option 3 and 4 necessarily include that they consider themselves above the law and there would be no reprisals for their actions ( regardless of motive ).
IOW they were too stupid to know right from wrong ( and should have never been cops in the first place ), or, they did know, but just did not care ( and assumed no-one else would care either, about some unemployed black guy, or Indian from a reservation, or foreigner who can't speak English, or someone who 'looks' like a terrorist, or many other who are disproportionally harassed/injured/killed by police.

1 minute ago, MigL said:

Both option 3 and 4 necessarily include that they consider themselves above the law and there would be no reprisals for their actions ( regardless of motive ).
IOW they were too stupid to know right from wrong ( and should have never been cops in the first place ), or, they did know, but just did not care ( and assumed no-one else would care either, about some unemployed black guy, or Indian from a reservation, or foreigner who can't speak English, or someone who 'looks' like a terrorist, or many other who are disproportionally harassed/injured/killed by police.

I don't see your point, unless you intended to distract attention from mine.

1 minute ago, dimreepr said:

I don't see your point, unless you intended to distract attention from mine.

Summarized: You and JCM did not actually introduce new points. Both were already included in the 2 proposed by MigL

8 hours ago, MigL said:

Which is the reason protests are so energetic and widespread. This has been the situation for decades, and John Q Public (even those who are less effected due to the whiteness of their skin) have decided that enough is enough and change is no longer optional.

It doesn't matter how stupid they are, if what they've been taught is to be kind and considerate to everyone.

In which case, the only thing to fear is passive aggression. 

Edited by dimreepr

10 hours ago, MigL said:

Two possibilities...

I actually believe that possibility 1 is very plausible, considering how untrained some police are.  But both possibilities seem to work hand in hand: arrogance feeding ignorance, and vice versa.If there are no consequences or accountability for a person's actions, then they can afford to simply not care, either out of laziness, or egotism, or both.  Case in point - Trump.

Edited by Alex_Krycek

3 hours ago, Alex_Krycek said:

I actually believe that possibility 1 is very plausible, considering how untrained some police are.  But both possibilities seem to work hand in hand: arrogance feeding ignorance, and vice versa.If there are no consequences or accountability for a person's actions, then they can afford to simply not care, either out of laziness, or egotism, or both.  Case in point - Trump.

It also requires a significant lack of empathy, as it also requires ignoring someone who is begging for their life. 

19 minutes ago, essereio said:

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but it's truly an eye opener regarding the matter.

Candace is creating a straw man. 

"I am not going to accept the narrative that this (George Floyd) is the best that the black community has to offer."

I have seen no one make that claim. Mourning him as a martyr is not the same as claiming he lived a great life. 

Given her background I am not surprised though. She is a racist's dream. A young, educated black woman who dislikes BLM and likes Hitler.

Candace Amber Owens Farmer (born April 29, 1989) is an American conservative commentator and political activist.[2][3][4][5] She is known for her pro-Trump activism that began around 2016 after being initially very critical of Trump and the Republican Party, and for her criticism of Black Lives Matter and of the Democratic Party.[6][7][8] She worked for the conservative advocacy group Turning Point USA between 2017 and 2019 as their communications director.[9]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turning_Point_USA

Here is what Wikipedia has to say about Turning Point USA, widely considered to be a racist organization, for whom Candace worked as their communications director.

he Anti-Defamation League refers to TPUSA as an "alt-lite" organization. CBS News has described the organization as a far-right organization that is "shunned or at least ignored by more established conservative groups in Washington, but embraced by many Trump supporters"...

Turning Points USA supports the NRA and the use of fossil fuels,[21] and opposes groups such as Black Lives Matter.[22]

In May 2019, local chapters of TPUSA pressured Candace Owens to resign as communications director after she made remarks stating Hitler was an "OK" leader

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turning_Point_USA

48 minutes ago, zapatos said:

I have seen no one make that claim. Mourning him as a martyr is not the same as claiming he lived a great life. 

Vilifying folks that are victims of a system is a common tactic to invalidate experiences especially of poor folks. It is the cheapest way to use moral outrage to create an us vs them stance in order to wipe away legal or moral standards. It has been used to justify holding folks in blacksites, it is being used to explain deaths during police encounters which should not and in other countries would not have ended up deadly.

It is as if only perfect human beings should be protected by the law, which is of course a ridiculous stance.

I was going to say that a discussion ( which America needs to have ) has to have dissenting views, or there is nothing to discuss.
Then essereio made that comment about A Hitler...

Chances are, if they erect a statue of G Floyd, it will be torn down in the future, because he was a flawed human being.
But that cannot, in any way, excuse the way he was treated and killed by representatives of a state-sanctioned organization.
THAT, is what is being discussed.

6 hours ago, essereio said:

I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but it's truly an eye opener regarding the matter.

You mean the nice lady with dark skin who supports nazis? Yeah, okay. 

Edited by iNow

16 hours ago, essereio said:

Did you watch the whole video?

!

Moderator Note

One of our rules (see rule 2.7 in "guidelines" under the "browse" tab) is that just posting a video is insufficient; you have to post enough material on your own to make the argument. "Did you watch the whole video" is not an acceptable response.

Hitler wanted good for people. It's just that his actions were incorrect towards taking out the trash(religion).  

!

Moderator Note

Tread lightly here, lest you violate rule 2.1

Meanwhile, Trump signed an executive order yesterday while claiming Obama never did anything to address police brutality... which is a lie... as Trump overturned Obama’s order on exactly that topic upon entering office. 

Trumps order appears entirely symbolic and has no “teeth.” It’s said to ban choke holds unless officers life is in danger. It also calls for a national database to track police with a history of misconduct to help prevent them from being rehired in other precincts or by other departments. Not enough to address the depth and breadth of the current problems, but directionally correct...

Unfortunately, policing is a local state-level issue, not a federal one. Trump can’t really don’t anything to enforce these orders. He’s also not put any mechanism or funding in place to implement a system for tracking. So, it’s all for show... a symbolic gesture... PT Barnum at his best... With an “order” that he signed with a bunch of police standing behind him for a photo op, instead of the families of people killed by police with whom he met earlier that same day. 

https://apnews.com/7f06786e118c4ca9d48b44dc224c3862

31 minutes ago, iNow said:

Meanwhile, Trump signed an executive order yesterday while claiming Obama never did anything to address police brutality... which is a lie... as Trump overturned Obama’s order on exactly that topic upon entering office. 

Trumps order appears entirely symbolic and has no “teeth.” It’s said to ban choke holds unless officers life is in danger. It also calls for a national database to track police with a history of misconduct to help prevent them from being rehired in other precincts or by other departments. Not enough to address the depth and breadth of the current problems, but directionally correct...

Unfortunately, policing is a local state-level issue, not a federal one. Trump can’t really don’t anything to enforce these orders. He’s also not put any mechanism or funding in place to implement a system for tracking. So, it’s all for show... a symbolic gesture... PT Barnum at his best... With an “order” that he signed with a bunch of police standing behind him for a photo op, instead of the families of people killed by police with whom he met earlier that same day. 

https://apnews.com/7f06786e118c4ca9d48b44dc224c3862

Unfortunately, the answer from Trump would ever be so, I just hope he catches the virus he's trying to spread.