Forum Creation

KHinfcube22

This thread is mainly pointing at Blike and Fafalone. How doe one create a Forum based web site? I wish to create one that people who love Fantasy and Japanese Anime can post on. But I don't know how. I admit my ignorance in the subject of computer programming, well, for internet stuff anyways. I ask my supperiors how to allow me to have knowledege on the subject. I will check search engines on the subject, but I think some people here would be able to help me out more. So please, help out an inferior person rise among the mist... I beg of you!!!!!!

First you need a domain and a webserver (dedicated or shared) to host the files on. Then you need to either license vbulletin, or find a free alternative (phpBB, ikonboard). The hardest part about creating a forum is getting users. No one wants to post on a forum that is empty. You need to get yourself visible to the web. Get yourself on google, listed in directories etc.

heh, nah. Domains are typically around $15/year, hosting is around $20+/month, and if you have high traffic loads and need a dedicated its around $100+/month.

vBulletin is licensed for around $100/year.

it all costs money :\

Originally posted by blike

heh, nah. Domains are typically around $15/year, hosting is around $20+/month, and if you have high traffic loads and need a dedicated its around $100+/month.

vBulletin is licensed for around $100/year.

it all costs money :\

Who pays for ScienceForums right now?

If you really don't want to spend any money, you can get a free domain from eu.org, free DNS hosting from Granite Canyon or ZoneEdit, free hosting from somewhere else (there's loads of places, but you might need to pay for somewhere with php capabilities) and a free bulletin board system such as phpBB or Invision Board.

Failing that you could try somewhere like ezboard - which sucks really.

Originally posted by dave

If you really don't want to spend any money, you can get a free domain from eu.org, free DNS hosting from Granite Canyon or ZoneEdit, free hosting from somewhere else (there's loads of places, but you might need to pay for somewhere with php capabilities) and a free bulletin board system such as phpBB or Invision Board.

Failing that you could try somewhere like ezboard - which sucks really.

Nice finds there! The only thing with free hosting is that you're usually pretty limited on transfer/month, and you're almost guaranteed to have popups..

You can start one at MSN, Yahoo, Google, etc. all for free. There are no pop-ups at the MSN forums. To get traffic, simply put a link to your forum in the signature line of all the forums you currently belong to, and post like a maniac.

eh....if you do manage to get that site up I'll be the first (if I can) to register;) and if I can ever get my stupid computer at home pieced together I'll even help you build the dumb thing!!! ....I can do nothing with the money issue however, I know everything on the internet costs money and stuff but for ME^_^ I have none, and I'm already borrowing from my mom and aunt! BLAH!!...need a job...

• 1 year later...

I know of a place that will host your domain for free, and the name does not look retarted. It is called http://www.741.com, I think anyways. I used to have a site there. The only thing is like Blike said there is limited bandwidth and transfer and all the technical stuff....Give it a try. I think it's great your trying to get a site going! I tried before to mkae my own sites but never wanted to learn much source so I used a program called SiteGenWiz, it's just an encoder that makes it quick and easy to set up a website and then it lets you diretly upload anything new to your host. The only downside is is that the freeware version has limited links (or children) on your site. You can buy the Platinum version for like 30$ I believe...Hope this helps!

Got some questions about your site KHinfcube. Did you do all that yourself or did have a template to start with? Did you use source and how did you get the forums and stuff? Looks cool I wanna make one of my own with forums and stuff.

I think blike is right when he says that no one wants to join an empty forum. The first things I look for in a forum are lots of members and recent posts. I think if I were starting a new forum I would create 30 aliases and carry on conversations with myself. Sad, but its a way to get it started.

Actualy, I find that small forums have their own advantages. I don't mind having just 20 people or so that you know well and can talk with. It makes conversations much easier. Unfortunatly, after a while you run out of things to say. What I find is that everyone wants to start their own forum and then realizes there isn't a great need for new forums right now. Everyone likes the power of being an admin, but it's not all that great unless you're sure you can get many new members. Just my thoughts.

ay, but I started this for a reason. I don't remember what it was, but oh well. Fellowes, the skin now isn't the default, though it did have a blinding default. I ain't paying jack for it, and I made all the forums on the board itself. I have a partner admin, but I have full control while he does not. I did not create the skin, but I know how. I got this skin from a different forum, and I have given it credit on the footer.