Ethanol Evaporation When in Large Quantities

0ut0ft0uch

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I have a question which I have not yet found an answer to elsewhere online.

My question is this: if thousands of gallons of ethanol cleaner (pure nondenatured ethanol) are used to sanitize a large public facility (such as a sports stadium), then would there be any effects for the atmosphere once the ethanol evaporated?

Any input or references would be very much appreciated.

Thank you.

13 hours ago, 0ut0ft0uch said:

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I have a question which I have not yet found an answer to elsewhere online.

My question is this: if thousands of gallons of ethanol cleaner (pure nondenatured ethanol) are used to sanitize a large public facility (such as a sports stadium), then would there be any effects for the atmosphere once the ethanol evaporated?

Thank you.

I just have this vision of a poor little groundsman staggering along with a thousand gallon tank of ethanol on his back.

I don't know what this is for but surely anyone seriously contemplating this course of action should consider the practicalities of it.

First off : What are you trying to achieve cleaning or decontamination?

When you solvent clean something you don't just apply solvent and let it evaporate  -  that won't clean anything.
You need to physically remove the solution of solvent and dirt.
There used to be an advert Wipe it on, wipe it clean with Windolene, which was a methanol formulation.
In your case I would expect spraying with an ethanol preparation to be followed by (power) washing down.
Your problem is less likely to be aerial than contamination going down the drains.

5 hours ago, studiot said:

I just have this vision of a poor little groundsman staggering along with a thousand gallon tank of ethanol on his back.

I don't know what this is for but surely anyone seriously contemplating this course of action should consider the practicalities of it.

First off : What are you trying to achieve cleaning or decontamination?

When you solvent clean something you don't just apply solvent and let it evaporate  -  that won't clean anything.
You need to physically remove the solution of solvent and dirt.
There used to be an advert Wipe it on, wipe it clean with Windolene, which was a methanol formulation.
In your case I would expect spraying with an ethanol preparation to be followed by (power) washing down.
Your problem is less likely to be aerial than contamination going down the drains.

Wouldn't it get vinegarized that way?

7 hours ago, studiot said:

I just hope he doesn't smoke.
Seriously, the question needs more context.

Over what time scale, and what area are you  using the alcohol?

On 5/23/2020 at 7:26 PM, 0ut0ft0uch said:

Hello,

Thank you.

My first thought is Fuel Air Bomb, but it might help clear some of the combustible litter.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermobaric_weapon