New Internet Explorer

herme3

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why won't the majority of people be able to get IE7? Most new computers come with SP2. The people that don't have SP2 can easily download it from the Windows Update web site.

due to the number of people who have windows 95, 98, 2k, ME, NT, 2003, XP, XP SP1.

Like i said, i dont know the stats but I think the above have a larger market share than XP SP2.

I've setup networks for businesses, and my home. I always have the cable modem directly connected to a router with a firewall. Then all of the computers should be safe. However, I still put a software firewall on all the computers for extra security.

good choice.

IE7 is only compatable with XP SP2 and vista... Im not sure on the stats, but i think the majority of people will not be able to get IE7, so it wont become the most used browser for a while.
I dunno how many people have XP and do not have SP2... I know I'm still on SP1, but seemingly many (or most) people upgraded to SP2 when it came out, maybe it'd be a good SFN poll (if you have XP do you use SP1 or SP2?).

due to the number of people who have windows 95' date=' 98, 2k, ME, NT, 2003, XP, XP SP1.

Like i said, i dont know the stats but I think the above have a larger market share than XP SP2.[/quote']

Anyone with XP or XP SP1 should upgrade to SP2 for free. Just go to http://www.windowsupdate.com and run the express update. It should upgrade in less than an hour on cable modem. Dial-up users will have to wait a little longer, but it shouldn't be more than several hours.

I think that lots of people who use their PCs for gaming dont have sp2, tho i forget the reason why.

It is probably the firewall. SP2 turns on the Windows XP firewall, and it isn't very easy to configure. It often blocks online games. I manually turned off the Windows XP firewall, and bought ZoneAlarm Pro. It gives you more control over the firewall. With ZoneAlarm Pro configured correctly, I don't have any trouble playing online games with SP2.

As that maybe true lots of people don't know/don't care :(

SP2 makes a lot of improvements to Windows XP. Since this topic is about IE, I'll just mention the improvements to IE. It adds a good pop-up blocker, and an add-on manager. If you have spyware that uses IE, you can easily disable it. SP2 also changes your IE settings to make it much more secure.

It is probably the firewall. SP2 turns on the Windows XP firewall, and it isn't very easy to configure. It often blocks online games. I manually turned off the Windows XP firewall, and bought ZoneAlarm Pro. It gives you more control over the firewall. With ZoneAlarm Pro configured correctly, I don't have any trouble playing online games with SP2.

Im not sure thats the reason.

5641: Why do you still have XP1

If you have spyware that uses IE, you can easily disable it.

Briefly: that is soooooooooooooooooooo not true.

More on topic, it seems firefox has its own anti-phishing gubbins with all the features of the IE7 version, although it doesnt seem to work that well atm afaict (im gonna download and test it).

who inspired who i wonder?

Briefly: that is soooooooooooooooooooo not true.

Well, the add-on manager won't detect spyware that is a program and automatically connects to the Internet. However, it should detect spyware that attaches to Internet Explorer. There are several toolbars that attach to Internet Explorer, and spy on you. You can disable these with the add-on manager.

Yes. very nice indeed. mwa-ha-ha! :D

If adobe was spyware, then it would probably have an installer set to run when you log on, meaning that the toolbar/[acr=browser helper object]BHO[/acr]/active-x/whatever would probably return :eek: also, i'd guess that its possible for malitiouse add-ons to prevent themselves from appearing in that list (maybe?).

Speaking of malware, i really wish that IE7 wasnt going to support active-x, or had some form of sand-box for it, but its nice that the whole thing will apparently be more secure; also, splitting the majority of people into two groups, one using IE6 and the other IE7, will probably help prevent malware from getting onto peoples computers so easaly. Maybe -- just maybe -- it will start the end of the assosiation between IE and malware.

btw, I dont suppose that anyone has the address of a spoofed site? Iv just installed the FF anti-spoofing-thingy and want to test it out.

5641: Why do you still have XP1

Because the main addition in SP2 is the firewall, I have a capable and easily user controlled firewall which I am happy with, if I downloaded SP2 then I'd just disable their firewall, how pointless.

The other addition is IE addons, I have no problem with spyware and my browsing along with avast script blocking, norton anti-spam and spybot I have no probs. It'd be pointless getting yet another thing to do a job which is done fine.

What else does it do? Adds a few processes in the background which I don't need. Disables Messenger Service which I am perfectly able to do myself etc etc.

I have no need nor want of it!

afaik, a firewall wont do anything against most active-xs because it appears (to the firewall) that it is IE that is asking for internet access.

The problem with active-xs is that they utilise user-desisions as a safe-guard. "do you want to install this active-x or not?". theres no software sand-box. This means that in the hands of an inexperienced user active-xs can easaly gain too much access to your system, and even with an experienced user there isnt much you can do to tell what an active-x will do other than install it, by which time its too late to find out that its malitiouse.

Many anti-slywares target malitiouse active-xs (spybot being a desent free one), but ideally your anti-malware programs would never fire up. Theyre supposed to be a last line of defence. Malware shouldnt get on your computer in the first place, so having it install and then get caught by an anti-slyware program is, imo, a slightly wrong approach to the problem.

talking about sp2, it limits the number max number of outbound connections attempts per second from infinity (almost) to 10. You can still use a patch to change it back, cos that might affect the performance of swarm p2p like bittorrent.

Yes, but as long as browsers continue to support active-x's websites will continue to use active-xs, which is annoying to those of us who have either turned off active-x of have FF.

Norton Internet Security 2005 gives you the option to disable Active-X and Java Applets as a security measure.

but ideally your anti-malware programs would never fire up.
I know it shouldn't and mine doesn't. In fact the only time I ever hear anything from it is where there are changes in the registries (ie. installing a program/editing msconfig etc.) because Spybot gives you the allow/block option for registry changes. Otherwise safe browsing, sensible with email attachments, AV, antispam, script blocker and whatever else is running on this machine keeps me, or technically my computer, safe.