Doubt about bibliography

cogujada

Hey, I study Chemichal engeneering in Madrid (Spain) and I have a doubt about a book. Do you know if the book Inorganic Chemistry (written by Catherine Housecroft) is the most "advanced" book about Inorganic chemistry (I mean, can I found books much more advanced and more profound, or is the Housecroft valid). I mean, im not going to work as a pure chemist (I think), but I dont want to spend loads of money if I can find better, profound and advanced books (considering that I study Chemical Engeneering and not pure chemistry, obviously).
Thanks guys, and sorry for my English, tell me if there's something you dont understand!
Cheers

No single book will be the 'most advanced' in any technical subject these days.

Also since you are going to University or Polytechnique you will be taught things on your course that are not in any book.

I remember one Professor coming in and saying "You will not find this reaction in any book  - I only discovered it last week.)

About the Housecroft book

It is already far more than you will probably ever need 1285 pages in the 2018 edition.
As you say you are studying Chem Eng, not Chemistry.
My flatmate at Loughborogh studied Chem Eng and didn't have any heavy Chemistry books.
Is it the recommended course book?
In which case there will probably be exercises from it that you will need.
Robert Gordon University Pharmacy publishes a list of recommended books and articles and notes whether ther are just for looking at, extra reading or 'essential'.
Find out if your institution does this and play close attention to it>
Do not miss any reference they call essential  - it may come up in the exam.

There will be plenty of stuff (and higher mathematics) in Chemical Engineering that Chemists do not study.
Put your best efforts into that would be my advice.

Edited by studiot

11 hours ago, studiot said:

No single book will be the 'most advanced' in any technical subject these days.

Also since you are going to University or Polytechnique you will be taught things on your course that are not in any book.

I remember one Professor coming in and saying "You will not find this reaction in any book  - I only discovered it last week.)

About the Housecroft book

It is already far more than you will probably ever need 1285 pages in the 2018 edition.
As you say you are studying Chem Eng, not Chemistry.
My flatmate at Loughborogh studied Chem Eng and didn't have any heavy Chemistry books.
Is it the recommended course book?
In which case there will probably be exercises from it that you will need.
Robert Gordon University Pharmacy publishes a list of recommended books and articles and notes whether ther are just for looking at, extra reading or 'essential'.
Find out if your institution does this and play close attention to it>
Do not miss any reference they call essential  - it may come up in the exam.

There will be plenty of stuff (and higher mathematics) in Chemical Engineering that Chemists do not study.
Put your best efforts into that would be my advice.

Yeah well, you've got a very interesting point. As a chem eng probably I will use the book only for specific consultations (except this year, I have a subject called Inorganic Chemistry). However, bare in mind that I've found the book at a really cheap and good price, usually, the Spanish version costs 95 € (85 pounds) but I've found a second-hand one for 35 € (31 pounds) which is a third of the original price. Do you think that it is profitable to buy the book (taking into account that I will only use it for specific consultations or to know more about inorganic chemistry)??? 

Thanks mate!

And sorry, I forgot. It is the recommended coursebook. Sorry haha

12 hours ago, cogujada said:

Thanks guys, and sorry for my English, tell me if there's something you dont understand!

Your English is next to perfect. The only thing I've been able to spot is "I have a doubt." I would have phrased it as "I have a question." More idiomatic. I'm bilingual Spanish-English and have taught both, so if you ever have any nuance, false-friend, etc.-related question, be my guest.

The cogujada is a beautiful bird, by the way. Good nickname.

Just now, joigus said:

The only thing I've been able to spot is "I have a doubt."

Except typos, of course.

40 minutes ago, joigus said:

The only thing I've been able to spot is "I have a doubt." I would have phrased it as "I have a question." More idiomatic.

Or: "There is something I don't understand about ..."

This has caused problems in the past where someone has started out with something like "I have a doubt about evolution/relativity/whatever" and get an initially hostile response because it sounds as if they are disputing the topic. But all they really mean is they lack knowledge/understanding and have a question.

1 minute ago, Strange said:

Or: "There is something I don't understand about ..."

This has caused problems in the past where someone has started out with something like "I have a doubt about evolution/relativity/whatever" and get an initially hostile response because it sounds as if they are disputing the topic. But all they really mean is they lack knowledge/understanding and have a question.

Yes, exactly. I didn't want to get involved, but I thought it could be useful. False friends are a minefield.

17 minutes ago, joigus said:

Yes, exactly. I didn't want to get involved, but I thought it could be useful. False friends are a minefield.

Captain Panic would be your man for European Chem Eng topics.

or more widely OldChemE,      from the New World.

8 minutes ago, studiot said:

Captain Panic would be your man for European Chem Eng topics.

or more widely OldChemE,      from the New World.

Thanks for the tip. I'm here both to learn and test my knowledge and understanding. Language itself is one motivation too.

Really don't know what to say hahaha. Thanks to you all guys, I will try to improve my English everyday :)

And for those who might curious, i'm gonna buy the book, 31 pounds is not money at all when we are talking about knowledge. Thanks!