Is our DNA filled with information?

Night Fury

18 minutes ago, Strange said:

Is there a question here? Of course DNA is filled with information: it encodes almost everything about an organism's development.

"Junk DNA" is the remnants of viruses or other living organisms that have been deactivated in the modern organism in which they are now present..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-coding_DNA

"Endogenous retrovirus sequences are the product of reverse transcription of retrovirus genomes into the genomes of germ cells."

"Over 8% of the human genome is made up of (mostly decayed) endogenous retrovirus sequences,"

OP question was "Is our DNA filled with (junk) information?" i.e. non-coding DNA..

Brute-force method of checking what some part of DNA is doing could be done by development of perfect simulation at quantum level of organism in the (super)computer, and observation how such simulated organism will be growing and behaving.. i.e. remove (or deactivation) of important part of DNA will lead to genetic illness of (virtual) organism..

Edited by Sensei

6 minutes ago, Sensei said:

"Junk DNA" is the remnants of viruses or other living organisms that have been deactivated in the modern organism in which they are now present..

A tiny proportion is (according to your source).

8 minutes ago, Sensei said:

OP question was "Is our DNA filled with (junk) information?" i.e. non-coding DNA..

Are you sure? You can't insert words into someone's questions like that.

Maybe it was:  "Is our DNA filled with (funny) information?" or "Is our DNA filled with (fake news) information?"

8 minutes ago, Strange said:

Are you sure? You can't insert words into someone's questions like that.

The word "junk" is part of the link URI which OP provided..

Edited by Sensei

8 minutes ago, Sensei said:

The word "junk" is part of the link URI which OP provided..

So is the word "that".

Neither is in the question asked. Which is why I asked the OP to clarify what they were asking.

• 5 months later...