Can something non directly exposed to fire start burning?

Brodino

It's 3 am in the morning and i'm asking myself: if we were to put a wood plank into an ipotetic electric oven that could reach infinite C°, would the wood catch fire or melt into a blob of atoms?

• 2 weeks later...

Wood is not like most cases. When wood is heated, the water boils away first and then the lignin and will react with oxygen and burn. Basically, wood will oxidize before it would be able to melt.  Its physical structure is destroyed and it won’t be able to return to its original matter.

On 5/17/2020 at 2:39 AM, Brodino said:

It's 3 am in the morning and i'm asking myself: if we were to put a wood plank into an ipotetic electric oven that could reach infinite C°, would the wood catch fire or melt into a blob of atoms?

Look up 'auto ignition' temperature...  as mathematic suggested above, if it's combustible and there is oxygen then most materials have a temperature at which they ignite.

On 5/16/2020 at 8:39 PM, Brodino said:

If a flammable mass is exposed to a heat equal to or greater than its flash point, assuming that the stoichiometry is correct, it will burn. Even if there's no flame, as long as it's heated to a high enough temperature, it will burn. It would break down into ash and smoke first, then those will become plasma as they're heated up more.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

If your home is near a forest that could burn your home down; there is a solution-----

Have a sprinkler system installed along your roof top. When a fire approaches your home, activate the sprinkler system which will cover your roof with water preventing it from catching on fire.

Just a friendly suggestion

(:-

2 hours ago, watchingfromafar said:

If your home is near a forest that could burn your home down; there is a solution-----

Have a sprinkler system installed along your roof top. When a fire approaches your home, activate the sprinkler system which will cover your roof with water preventing it from catching on fire.

Just a friendly suggestion

(:-

This has been tried and pretty much failed which does not prevent scammers from selling rooftop sprinklers.  Also do not expect much water pressure during the fire because everyone including the fire dept is using so one would need their own supply of several Olympic size pools or so for a small home.  If you monitor this have a bomb shelter with Oxygen to run into as the fire rages over head

"Can something non directly exposed to fire start burning?"

Yes.
It is referred to as "non piloted ignition"
https://www.govinfo.gov/content/pkg/GOVPUB-C13-2aca434d0a907ff2aff50e4308d18e98/pdf/GOVPUB-C13-2aca434d0a907ff2aff50e4308d18e98.pdf

16 hours ago, watchingfromafar said:

Make sure the house is surrounded by a wide lawn.

Edited by John Cuthber

• 1 month later...