Wearing masks may increase your risk of coronavirus infection, expert says

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200315/Wearing-masks-may-increase-your-risk-of-coronavirus-infection-expert-says.aspx

Panic buying and the hoarding of face masks to protect from the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) may not be a good idea, says a health expert. It puts you at an increased risk of contracting the virus.

Dr. Jenny Harries, England's deputy chief medical officer, has warned that it was not a good idea for the public to wear facemasks as the virus can get trapped in the material and causes infection when the wearer breathes in.

No matter to me as I have not worn and will not wear a mask................... However I wonder, do the people wearing mask driving alone in cars also wear their mask to sleep at night because this could cause breathing issues 

Indeed. There are more studies looking into the potential benefits of large-scale mask wearing and the most promising one indicate that it might cut down transmission by a fair bit if every infected person wears one.

This is especially important when there are many pre- or asymptomatic folks around. Categorically not wanting to wear a mask is therefore also on the selfish side (and obviously there is little benefit wearing it if alone and/or being in ones own personal space).

1 minute ago, PhilGeis said:

Of course - and some of which are not.

So think for yourself; is it more, or less, likely that you know more, about something you haven't studied, than an expert in the field?

There is a right answer. 😉

On 5/16/2020 at 12:36 PM, PhilGeis said:

"Experts" say a lot of things

On 5/16/2020 at 3:58 PM, dimreepr said:

Some of which are true...

8 minutes ago, PhilGeis said:

Of course - and some of which are not.

!

Moderator Note

This seems to have degenerated into the most pointless conversation ever I am closing the thread before anyone adds "and some are". If anyone has a good reason to re-open to, just report this post.