Interesting paper on brain structure and psychology

Strange

But the best bit is the title: Your Brain Is Not an Onion With a Tiny Reptile Inside

A widespread misconception in much of psychology is that (a) as vertebrate animals evolved, “newer” brain structures were added over existing “older” brain structures, and (b) these newer, more complex structures endowed animals with newer and more complex psychological functions, behavioral flexibility, and language. This belief, although widely shared in introductory psychology textbooks, has long been discredited among neurobiologists and stands in contrast to the clear and unanimous agreement on these issues among those studying nervous-system evolution. We bring psychologists up to date on this issue by describing the more accurate model of neural evolution, and we provide examples of how this inaccurate view may have impeded progress in psychology. We urge psychologists to abandon this mistaken view of human brains.

https://journals.sagepub.com/eprint/TWK8BX6W2M4FFRTYXBZD/full

• 3 weeks later...

I had a look at the article and agree with its position on the inaccuracy of the Triune Theory of brain evolution.  I also agree with its position and most neuropsychologist that brain evolution was not and is not a linear process.  However, I believe the ideas this article appears to support isn't very clear or convincing.  As I prepare to author a book on the subject myself, I believe I've uncovered more convincing evidence of our brain's stages of evolution based on neural and functional developments we find in comparative species with humans from fetus to birth as the brain matures.  What I'm suggesting is that if our brain followed some contiguous functional path of evolution, some remnant of that path should be discernable in brain structure.  For example, I intend to show in my next book, with sufficient peer reviewed metadata, how cortical dependency on subcortical neural projections and stimuli suggest a linear stage of development concurrent with the survival demands and functional needs of ancestral animals. Still, the article provided here was a very interesting read.

Edited by DrmDoc

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.