The Ethics of Strange

If you we're to find controversial religious toned scientific material, would you be a scientist and take it seriously, or would you be emotional and throw it in the trash can. Strange is an interest individual who seems to think it's okay to just trash scientific discussion. I think this moderator should be removed for blocking legitimate scientific material. I don't think his ethics are on the level. I think he's bankrupt. 

29 minutes ago, AdomPatchett said:

If you we're to find controversial religious toned scientific material, would you be a scientist and take it seriously, or would you be emotional and throw it in the trash can.

Interesting question, but not related to any material recently move to the trash section. I have reviewed the latest material there and I do not find any material scientific enough to belong in any other sections of the forum. 

29 minutes ago, AdomPatchett said:

Strange is an interest individual who seems to think it's okay to just trash scientific discussion.

I have not found evidence of that happening. The balanced moderations of this forum is one important factor that keeps me posting here.

Question: Let's say an author writes a paper, with the same quality as a typical post that's moved to the trash section here, and then sends that paper to a scientific journal. Do you think such a paper would be accepted for publishing?

Edited by Ghideon
grammar

Sorry, but your trifecta of pseudoscience (numerology, astrology and religion) does not rise to the level of science.  Reposting a closed thread is against the rules.  If you have a problem with a moderated report them, don't start a thread to whine about a moderator.

This is not a good start for you.

1 hour ago, AdomPatchett said:

If you we're to find controversial religious toned scientific material, would you be a scientist and take it seriously, or would you be emotional and throw it in the trash can. Strange is an interest individual who seems to think it's okay to just trash scientific discussion. I think this moderator should be removed for blocking legitimate scientific material. I don't think his ethics are on the level. I think he's bankrupt. 

I looked up your thread which is in the trashcan now, its a wonderful example of pure crackpotery and it glows as an example of what trash is. Your conviction that your ridiculous nonsense is "legitimate scientific material" is both hilarious and scary.

1 hour ago, AdomPatchett said:

When I first saw your thread on list of current Activities tab, my first thought from the title was Oh no, not another one of these.
However I looked quickly through the first few lines that is displayed in the Activities tab and saw the stuff about 12 this and 12 that.
So my second thought was no, this is even worse.
So I didn't even bother to open to your thread.

In order to fairly respond to this thread I have now looked it up and the first thing that springs to mind is the Moderator's stated reason for closing the thread.

You had apparantly already been told not to bring the subject up again.

Evidently you chose to defy moderator instructions.

Unlike the moderators as an ordinary member I can choose which threads to look at and which not to bother with.

So I salute them for performing this unpleasant but necessary task on  my behalf.

Edited by studiot

2 hours ago, AdomPatchett said:

This isn’t about personal ethics. This is about enforcing the rules of this site. (thread has thus been moved)

1. Your discussion was not scientific. It was crap.

2. If another moderator happened upon your post first, they likely would have done the same. I certainly would have.

3. Your suggestion is noted and has been given all due consideration.

4. You are free to ask questions to figure out why numerology is not science. But not free to post more numerology. 

As a possibly not entirely irrelevant side note, I got to thinking back at One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, which for me installs the question in my mind, how would I deal with being put in a mental institution and how might my personality and powers of straight thinking have changed, if and when I got to leave it again to return to 'normal' society. Now the way that Jack Nicholson's character got entry into the system isn't likely the way that I would manage to do it. But you can think of scientists who in earlier times got close, such as Alan Turing, and others certainly did, like Cantor and Boltzmann. Alan got put on medication to remove his immoral homosexual deviance, which apparently eventually lead to suicide. Had that not happened, maybe he could have been due for more institutionalized 'treatment'. 

I am likely about ten times more intolerant of nonsense than Strange, especially of the mathematical kind. Though mainly with the malicious type; usually cranks who declare that anything done by Cantor or Einstein must have been wrong, because they advanced into new directions less intuitive, and sometimes the objections are of a  racist nature. That is different with Adom, who actually explains what he is observing, and how he calculates measurable quantities from his observations. He runs his conclusions out along strange tangents, granted. But there is nothing that I have seen of the usual malicious nature.

Adom explains his background in his book A Devastating Journey: Nova Scotia's Mental Health System. I haven't read it. It is likely that some of it is very factual. Maybe it goes to explain some of the directions that he is taking, with doing strange computations and distributing them via a forum such as this.

Edited by taeto

2 hours ago, taeto said:

As a possibly not entirely irrelevant side note, I got to thinking back at One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, which for me installs the question in my mind, how would I deal with being put in a mental institution and how might my personality and powers of straight thinking have changed, if and when I got to leave it again to return to 'normal' society. Now the way that Jack Nicholson's character got entry into the system isn't likely the way that I would manage to do it. But you can think of scientists who in earlier times got close, such as Alan Turing, and others certainly did, like Cantor and Boltzmann. Alan got put on medication to remove his immoral homosexual deviance, which apparently eventually lead to suicide. Had that not happened, maybe he could have been due for more institutionalized 'treatment'. 

I am likely about ten times more intolerant of nonsense than Strange, especially of the mathematical kind. Though mainly with the malicious type; usually cranks who declare that anything done by Cantor or Einstein must have been wrong, because they advanced into new directions less intuitive, and sometimes the objections are of a  racist nature. That is different with Adom, who actually explains what he is observing, and how he calculates measurable quantities from his observations. He runs his conclusions out along strange tangents, granted. But there is nothing that I have seen of the usual malicious nature.

Adom explains his background in his book A Devastating Journey: Nova Scotia's Mental Health System. I haven't read it. It is likely that some of it is very factual. Maybe it goes to explain some of the directions that he is taking, with doing strange computations and distributing them via a forum such as this.

How is any of this relevant?

30 minutes ago, swansont said:

How is any of this relevant?

I hope in a similar way that some damning comments about the OP have so far not been considered irrelevant. He clearly has a record of mental illness, and he may honestly firmly believe that he has a scientific approach to the world somehow. He obviously has no leg to stand on in a science forum, and moderation has to intervene. Still a little bit of empathy instead of only cusswords is also in order.

6 hours ago, AdomPatchett said:

If you we're to find controversial religious toned scientific material, would you be a scientist and take it seriously, or would you be emotional and throw it in the trash can.

For those who don't understand science, it often seems like an emotional dismissal when someone who does offers a quick refutation, but it's not. I don't know what you do for a living, but as an analogy, imagine going to a home builder with your new invention, a tool that drives two screws into a wooden stud at once, saving half the time! But the carpenter immediately tells you they aren't interested, and explains why nails are better. You can't understand why he's not thrilled, but it's because you don't understand why home builders don't use screws in studwork. You explain why screws hold the wood tighter together than nails, and he tries to explain why that's not good for framework that needs to swell and shrink a little. 

The builder is taking you seriously, he's not just emotionally throwing your idea away. He simply knows why it won't work, and you're not listening.

5 hours ago, taeto said:

I hope in a similar way that some damning comments about the OP have so far not been considered irrelevant.

I don’t see any comments that are are irrelevant except yours.

He clearly has a record of mental illness,

Not clear to me. He has three posts, and it’s inappropriate to offer such a diagnosis 

and he may honestly firmly believe that he has a scientific approach to the world somehow. He obviously has no leg to stand on in a science forum, and moderation has to intervene. Still a little bit of empathy instead of only cusswords is also in order.

I don’t see posts with cuss words, much less “only cusswords”

Let me be clear: knock it off. The topic here is the moderation response to a post, and its clone.

1 hour ago, swansont said:

Not clear to me. He has three posts, and it’s inappropriate to offer such a diagnosis 

I documented that he authored a book that describes his experiences with being transferred from his home near Windsor, ON, to become a subject of Nova Scotia's mental health system. So maybe you are right to say that I "infer" something about his mental health. To say that I "offer diagnosis" is a little far fetched. A diagnosis can assume to have been established already before the act of confining a person to a psychiatric institution. Would you be happy if I suggested that you seem to offer the opposite diagnosis, probably not.

Yes, the moderation is excellent in this case, as always. I came to this thread by clicking on the Topics menu on the upper right side of the home page, and there it does not tell you which forum it takes you to. From the title of the thread I just assumed it would be the Ethics subforum, rather than the moderation forum, or I would have made a different post. I only have problems with some of the comments that appear to be directed at the OP. Who I imagine to be not of the best of health and likely mentally fragile and in need of support. It seems to be just me making that error. So I have to apologize for that.

Edited by taeto

50 minutes ago, taeto said:

I documented that he authored a book

You mentioned a book by an author with the same name as their user name, which is irrelevant to the thread.

What part of “knock it off” didn’t you get? (that’s rhetorical. Stop posting off-topic material)

On 5/9/2020 at 6:29 AM, AdomPatchett said:

I guess if I had an infinite amount of time I might keep it, just in case I might run out of things to read. If it turned out to be worthwhile I certainly would be glad I kept it.

14 minutes ago, NineTwentyEight said:

It seems like that mod isn't here for anything other than to amuse himself. Definitely not a legitimate science site, it's like Take5 or the Lounge.

We are all here to amuse ourselves. You know where the exit is.

1 hour ago, StringJunky said:

We are all here to amuse ourselves. You know where the exit is.

Abuse of authority will not be tolerated by everyone.

There are two types of people in this world. I'm the kind that doesn't lick the boot you jackwagon. 

Who else is on the Strange jerkoff wagon? 

Every green rep, probably. You jerk off to an admin and they will use 3286 accounts to keep you on their payroll. 

On 5/9/2020 at 4:29 AM, AdomPatchett said:

Well admins/mods like that just do it for the lulz. God forbid it's not serious power tripping. 

Neg again proving my point. I'm not on the jackwagon here.

Edited by NineTwentyEight

1 hour ago, NineTwentyEight said:

Abuse of authority will not be tolerated by everyone.

There are two types of people in this world. I'm the kind that doesn't lick the boot you jackwagon. 

Who else is on the Strange jerkoff wagon? 

Every green rep, probably. You jerk off to an admin and they will use 3286 accounts to keep you on their payroll. 

Well admins/mods like that just do it for the lulz. God forbid it's not serious power tripping. 

Neg again proving my point. I'm not on the jackwagon here.

!

Moderator Note

Wow, you went off the rails quick! I think you're just too sophisticated for us here. Have a great day and stay safe!