Walking on water

jutntog1

This is in the quantum theory right? Can you guyz help me understand the theory. From what I get :

We dont go through walls (for e.g.) because of the em forces, not the molecular structure. And these em forces between atoms or molecules are not constant (not sure if that part is true?) so you techinically have a 1 in infinite (or close enough) chance that all these em forces between every atom/molecule in the wall and/or your body will stop at the same time and you can go through.

Is this right? Can someone help me i think my understanding may be wrong (so dont yell at me im asking for help)

I think its closer to the idea of the wave function. It is theoretically possible that your wave packet would not be hit by any photons for a brief period of time that allowed it to expand until it was through the wall, then when it is hit you appear on the other side of the wall.

Could it be one chance in something like 10^10^50 ? Like if there were only 3 particles having 10 states it would be 10^3 or one chance in a thousand because all the possible combinations of 3 particles with 10 state would be 1000. So if there are 10^50 particles between feet and water etc. it would be 10^10^(number of particles involved).

• 3 weeks later...

Well, i think i addition to the lizard's quick speed, it also had something to do with his light weight. We humans are too heavy... Well, think about it.... A cheetah is probably faster than the lizard. But can cheetahs "walk" on water? I don't really think so...

We'll never be able to figure this out by science. Where's your faith!?!?

You have to be divine and spiritualy connected before even thinking about walking on water. Even then you wouldn't want to because you wouldn't feel the need to prove yourself. Only when the times calls for it, as in light of a miracle, can you prove your gift. Jesus was one cool dude! Too bad he never wrote a book on his gifts!

ok, so it is not exactly walking on water, but I have personally seen humans proceed over the surface of a body of water. I've done it myself as a matter of fact.

To do it, you need a motorcycle (dirt bike is advised) a body of water, and nerves of steel. Get moving as fast as you possibly can, and as soon as your front tire hits the water, shift your weight to the rear and never let out the gas. You will skim right across the water, and, so long as you don't slow down to much, might actually make it to the other side.

I tried to hunt a video of a guy doing this very stunt, but, unfortunately you will just have to take my word for it.

Oh, and uhm, don't try this at home, it can kill you.

edit: I suppose that it has more to do with the speed at which you cross the water, as opposed to weight. Insects are very light, but, also equipped for such stunts.

Also, think about people who ski barefooted. It requires a certain speed, and, going to slow will cause one to sink.

As to claims of supposed historical figures walking on water, sorry, it didn't happen. Nothing for science to prove

Hmmm.. here`s an Idea :)

ever seen a car appear to Drive on water? and not only that, but Water in the middle of a Desert!?

could it perhaps be a Mirage effect created by heated air altering its density making a mirror/water effect?

just a thought :)

This sounds like the "if you walk into a wall continuously for an infinate amount of time' date=' at least one time you'll walk straight through it" thing i once heard.

I cant remember where or who said it though lol.[/quote']

I had heard that too. We were taught that in my Physical Chemistry II course in college when going over quantum mechanics in nauseating detail. The chances of you running into a wall and going right through it aren't 0, but it's so obscenely close to zero that for all accounts and purposes it is.

I had heard that too. We were taught that in my Physical Chemistry II course in college when going over quantum mechanics in nauseating detail. The chances of you running into a wall and going right through it aren't 0, but it's so obscenely close to zero that for all accounts and purposes it is.

We must also add "don't try this at home". Mostly because it hurts as one would expect.

But also because, given an infinite amount of time you will be sucessful an infinite (much "smaller" infinite mind you) amount of times.

The problem is that, for every time you make it through, there is an almost infinite (larger number than you can think of) amount of times that you make it halfway through.

That really hurts!