Riddle of the Week

Kyrisch

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the organization of this thread has diminished considerably. I'm not even sure which riddle is which, and of those which have been answered. In that light I will add another riddle! :D

You are in a completely enclosed room, with no obvious way of getting out. (i.e. no vents, doors, or windows.) All you have is a mirror and a table. How do you get out of the room?

You are in a completely enclosed room, with no obvious way of getting out. (i.e. no vents, doors, or windows.) All you have is a mirror and a table. How do you get out of the room?

oh how i loathe this riddle... it doesnt have a real answer, and the answer they expect doesnt even actually work in the punny way they try to do it.

you look in the mirror and "See what you saw" (riiiiight)

you take the saw and saw the table in half.

two halves make a whole, you crawl out through the hole.

an embarassment really. I never knew the answer; I had overheard it one day and that is how I remembered it. I was hoping there would be a better answer than that. And you're right, not even a valid riddle, and if it was, who is supposed to guess that solution?! Thank you for that. Here, I'll post another that may not be so childish.

Bright as diamonds,

Loud as thunder,

Never still,

A thing of wonder.

an embarassment really. I never knew the answer; I had overheard it one day and that is how I remembered it. I was hoping there would be a better answer than that. And you're right' date=' not even a valid riddle, and if it was, who is supposed to guess that solution?! Thank you for that. Here, I'll post another that may not be so childish.

Bright as diamonds,

Loud as thunder,

Never still,

A thing of wonder.[/quote']

im gonna guess lightning, since it would be the thing that makes the noise "thunder" it should be roughly that loud. : P

an embarassment really. I never knew the answer; I had overheard it one day and that is how I remembered it. I was hoping there would be a better answer than that. And you're right' date=' not even a valid riddle, and if it was, who is supposed to guess that solution?! Thank you for that. Here, I'll post another that may not be so childish.

Bright as diamonds,

Loud as thunder,

Never still,

A thing of wonder.[/quote']

Sounds like a waterfall to me.

Sounds like a mushroom cloud...

Here's mine:

Always coming never here,

In the distance - very near.

Sweat and tears are shed to me,

Blood and lives are lost for me.

I am hope for those who strive,

Hope denied, for I never arrive.

To some a maiden of love and light,

To others a curse of dread and night.

What or who am I?

Sounds like a mushroom cloud...

Here's mine:

Always coming never here' date='

In the distance - very near.

Sweat and tears are shed to me,

Blood and lives are lost for me.

I am hope for those who strive,

Hope denied, for I never arrive.

To some a maiden of love and light,

To others a curse of dread and night.

What or who am I?[/quote']

[hide] tomorrow[/hide]

• 2 years later...

Hi,

I can't seem to figure out the part to do with the sum of his daughters ages since it's not mentioned?

I know for example that 36 has the factors: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 18, and 36 and that the sets of 3 are: 1x1x36, 1x2x18, 1x3x12, 1x4x9, 1x6x6, 2x2x9, 2x3x6, 3x3x4

If I am to sum the sets you would get: 38, 21, 16, 14, 13, 13, 11 and 10.

I could rule one out being 1x6x6 since this wouldn't give the oldest daughter but since I don't know the sum of the daughters ages then the rest would be valid?

Am I missing something here since there should be only one answer?

I'd be grateful if it could be explained?

Many thanks,

John

[hide]You're an only child...[/hide] Pretty simple, but a nice rhythm(sp?) to it, and enough complexity to frighten the passerby :cool:

Here's a toughie:

A mathematician was greeted one day by a man taking a census at his door.

"Hello, how may I help you?" The mathematician greeted him cheerfully.

"Hello, I need to ask you a few questions. Firstly, are you married?" The mathematician nodded. "Do you have children?" Again, the mathematician shook his head yes. "How old are you children, what are their genders, and how many do you have?"

The mathematician's eyes glinted with mischief. "I'm glad you asked. I have three daughters, and the product of their ages is 36."

The man seemed flustered by this indirect answer. Thinking to himself, he realized he could not figure it out with only that knowledge. "I need more information to figure this out, sir." He stated.

"Yes, you do." The mathematician replied. He glanced at his house number. Pointing to it, he said, "That is the sum of my daughters' ages."

Accepting that he wasn't going to get a straight answer out of the mathematician, he pulled out a pad of paper and a pencil, scribbled a few things, and then glanced at the house number. "That's still not enough information, sir."

"Of course," the mathematician said, presently gripping the door, "I forgot to tell you that my oldest daughter has blue eyes." And with that, he slammed the door in the man's face.

The man squinted at his work, and then a look of realization crossed his face. He strode down the walk with a satisfied gait. He had figured out the ages.

HOW OLD ARE THE MATHEMATICIAN'S DAUGHTERS?

Hi,

I can't seem to figure out the part to do with the sum of his daughters ages since it's not mentioned?

I know for example that 36 has the factors: 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 9, 12, 18, and 36 and that the sets of 3 are: 1x1x36, 1x2x18, 1x3x12, 1x4x9, 1x6x6, 2x2x9, 2x3x6, 3x3x4

If I am to sum the sets you would get: 38, 21, 16, 14, 13, 13, 11 and 10.

I could rule one out being 1x6x6 since this wouldn't give the oldest daughter but since I don't know the sum of the daughters ages then the rest would be valid?

Am I missing something here since there should be only one answer?

I'd be grateful if it could be explained?

Many thanks,

John

Wow. How long ago did I even start this?

Anyway... The riddle. You did all the legwork, just go back and look at the riddle. Think about it -- the census taker knows both the product and the sum of the daughter's ages, and he still says he does not have enough information. It follows that the sum is 13 because that is the only sum that is repeated.

Then the mathematician makes a reference to his eldest, indicating that, like you said, 1,6,6 is not valid, leaving 2,2,9.

In retrospect I am not certain that my (2nd) solution is correct in the English language. Seems perfect in Dutch though.

Oh well... since I've already been granted the chance to become immortal by posting a good riddle... here's a classic:

What can fall through a glass window without breaking it?

Here are three riddles if you get them all right you are a riddle master

Here is a easy one to start

I get wetter the more I dry

The next one

What do you throw away the outside and cook the inside then you eat the outside and throw away the inside

The last one

I am far from the point but I dont make mistakes I fix yours

(hide) a ray of light (hide/)