Genetics essay question

BioMed2000

I need a little help with how to go about the essay question below on a hypothetical situation. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

You are working with a previously uncharacterised gene in human cells. Discuss the approaches and confirmatory steps you would employ to clone this gene to determine where the protein is localised in the cell?

Edited by BioMed2000

46 minutes ago, BioMed2000 said:

6 minutes ago, Dagl1 said:

What are ways that we can find out the localisation of a protein? How do we employ this by using cloning?

fluorescence ?

Edited by BioMed2000

Sure! 

So we have a protein that is uncharacterized, meaning there probably are not going to be antibodies available. We can try producing proteins against it, but we could also try something else.

What is cloning and what ability does it give us? 

How could we fuse these two things (fluorescence and cloning) together? 

The answer has a caveat though; there is of course a potential drawback to using fluorescence, in that it may not accurately describe localisation due to how we use fluorescence, but this is something that can be discussed/worked around later, and may not be in the scope of the question.

9 minutes ago, Dagl1 said:

Sure! 

So we have a protein that is uncharacterized, meaning there probably are not going to be antibodies available. We can try producing proteins against it, but we could also try something else.

What is cloning and what ability does it give us? 

How could we fuse these two things (fluorescence and cloning) together? 

The answer has a caveat though; there is of course a potential drawback to using fluorescence, in that it may not accurately describe localisation due to how we use fluorescence, but this is something that can be discussed/worked around later, and may not be in the scope of the question.

We clone the gene of interest, transfect into a cell and use epitope tagging (green fluorescent protein maybe) . 

• 1 year later...
On 7/5/2021 at 5:14 AM, Denver_Hernandez said:

This is quite a complicated and at the same time interesting topic, I am thinking of writing a term paper

Finally, someone who isn't from one of those obnoxious essay writing companies that spam us all the time!

Why do you think it's spam when a student shares their experience of using a service? Nowadays everyone is looking for help, I, for example, like all students, really dislike writing essays and any written assignments. For me, it's the worst thing in the world. But my grades at the same time I have an excellent, to some extent, my assistant helps me in this, I use spam link deleted. It's very convenient and of high quality. After all, student life should take place not only at textbooks. 

11 minutes ago, Denver_Hernandez said:

Why do you think it's spam when a student shares their experience of using a service? Nowadays everyone is looking for help, I, for example, like all students, really dislike writing essays and any written assignments. For me, it's the worst thing in the world. But my grades at the same time I have an excellent, to some extent, my assistant helps me in this, I use spam link deleted. It's very convenient and of high quality. After all, student life should take place not only at textbooks. 

!

Moderator Note

Because it's cheating, and also advertising is against our rules. But mainly because it's cheating. And so you get banned, because you do the bidding of cheaters.