SOS!! My OS cannot be accessed!!

albertlee

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prvent damage to your computer.

some giberish I dont understand in this line

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer.

If this screen appear again, follow these steps:

check to make sure any new hardware software is properly instealled. If this is a new installation, ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problem continue, disable or remove any newly instealled hardware or software Disable BIOS Memory option s such as caching

or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup options, and then select safe mode.

some giberish I dont understand in this line

Here is the story.

Today, When I attept to shut down my laptop, a blue screen appears with the above error message.

Since it is my 1st time experience, I just restart the computer.

Thereby, the catastrophe occurs. I cannot access to my Windows Xp SP2 Home Edition any more. The screen is completely black with an underscore flashing persistently on and off on the left, top of the screen.

Now addition information relative to this problem:

I have reinstalled the OS couple of months ago due to a failure of the prior OS. Since then, the most problematic hardware is my USB mouse. Note that this problem regarding to my USB mouse never happen before I reinstalled the OS.

It is usable, however, sometimes, quite frequently, it does not respond, you know, the cursor does not move, and I have to wait for a while or replug the mouse in order to make it work.

Just recently before I see the blue screen, my mouse stops responding as usual (in such case, I always use the touchpad alternatively), but a message, appears from the status panel on the toolbar (you know, the toolbar has a "start" on its left), saying it cannot recognise all my USB sockets.

Can any one help???

apreciate

ps, I am using my school's desktop to respond, please help imidiately if you see this thread and know how, because I am always beside the desktop.

thanks again

What you have is the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death -- yep, that's the official name!). What is means, in technical terms, is Windows is screwed!

It can happen for many different reasons from OS corruption to hardware failure.

There was a thread on SFN once and I think that the person had given us the code which you referred to as "some giberish I dont understand in this line" and then I ran a google search for that code and got a result... however I can't find this thread, but I think I did it, so if you could find the code or "giberish" it might help.

Otherwise sometimes rebooting will solve the problem and the BSOD seems to appear randomly (this happened to me for, well, randomly!) however it may also mean that you can never boot in that copy of windows ever again (that also happened to me!).

Without knowing more details I'd say try reinstalling Windows... you can do this without formating so you will lose no data other than your windows scheme, but you may have saved it anyway, in which case no probs.

To do this you boot off the winXP CD select to instal windows, it detects your copy and asks if you want to fix, say yes....... do NOT select fix first, it's a different thing..... select instal then when it finds your copy chose to fix.

Unfortunately, I didnot note down the giberish line.

the 1st giberish line looks something like %#$@%#%#%#%#$, even characters that cannot be found on a keyboard.

the 2nd giberish line is somehow understandable, something like: Stop: 0x452904.....

Any way, I guess I will never see that message again.

5614, for your solution of reinstalling Windows, it is more tedious in my case. I have a reinstalled CD that is bound to the laptop. You know what i mean??

In addition to my previous post, as I observed more closely, when I start the laptop, and when it first "arrives" to a screen with underscore flashing on the left-top corner, the laptop restarts again, and until to the same screen, the underscore flashes continuously, ie, the laptop does not restart again in the second time.

So, more explanation to the black screen with an underscore flashing constantly??

please help

thanks

Have you tried booting into safe mode?

Do you get the windows xp logo with the loading bar at the bottom?

How long have you left the flashing curser?

Have you tried booting without the mouse pluged in?

Have you any other usb devices pluged in, esspecially new ones, did you install anything after you last rebooted the machine?

to klaynos,

I am not able to boot into my laptop under safe mode, because the windows xp logo does not even apear. The only thing I see, after the logo of my laptop, which is independent to Windows, is played, is a black screen with an underscore flashing at the left top corner.

I have left the flashing underscore as long as any one can imagine.

"Have you tried booting without the mouse pluged in?" Yes, more than 1 time.

I didnot install any software or hardware before the blue screen of error message, and the only plugged in usb device is my mouse.

Still any help??

thanks gratefully/

Ok, that's a good sign -- most of the hardware is likely working. But you could be having a hard drive failure, which seems like the most likely culprit to me at the moment.

I think you should try to boot off some other media, such as an attached device or drive, or perhaps a bootable CD-ROM, and see what happens. Not the Windows XP CD -- that does have a repair feature but I wouldn't use it until I was sure I knew what the problem is. I have a bootable CD that has a stripped copy of Windows (command line only, like CMO Safe Mode) that I sometimes use for cases like this, but if you don't have one prepared you'll have to use something else. A Windows 98 boot CD won't work here if your hard drive is formatted in NTFS, but if it's formatted in FAT it will.

The goal is to be able to see the hard drive after booting, to see if it's working ok. Read and write some data to it and see what happens, that sort of thing.

Could be a corrupt NTLDR, BOOT.INI or one of the other system files that boots the computer.

the 2nd giberish line is somehow understandable, something like: Stop: 0x452904.....
That code part with the numbers.... that's the code I'm looking for.

5614, for your solution of reinstalling Windows, it is more tedious in my case. I have a reinstalled CD that is bound to the laptop. You know what i mean??
Nope!

more explanation to the black screen with an underscore flashing constantly??
I don't fully understand what is happening here.... what is this screen with the flashing thing? Is it just a plain black screen which appears when? After windows loads? And then it reboots? And reloads windows? And then you get the BSOD? Or does the BSOD come before windows loads?

I have use microsoft scandisk, and it shows that there is an data error at cluster 1179648.
How did you run MS Scandisk? Try and run check disk and you need 'auto fix files' and 'scan bad sectors' enabled.

K, sounds like a busted hard drive. It may be just one failed sector, and that sector happened to contain NTLDR, so it can't boot. If you map over that sector (so it can't be used) and then replace NTLDR, it should boot. But that's a tricky operation if you've never done it before. Better option would be to move that hard drive into another computer, copy your data off of it, and replace the drive completely. After all, you don't know what caused that sector to go bad, so it could easily happen again.

by the way, tell you what, I have just installed another Windows in another parition, and use that to look into my original disk.

It is firstly happy to see my files, but however, most anoyingly, some of my files, when I copy them or move them to my external harddrive, it says, a dialogue apears, saying, "access denied", and telling maybe it is the cause of that the file is currently in use, but aparently not.

Any help on this?

what are the files its denying?

And wat do you mean by "Originally Posted by albertlee

5614, for your solution of reinstalling Windows, it is more tedious in my case. I have a reinstalled CD that is bound to the laptop. You know what i mean??''???????

Bound to your laptop? Like its crappy restoration software you get witth a dell ( I had to call them to give me me disks, but i got them free and it was next day saturday delivery, so thats cool)

Well I wouldn't map over sectors at this point -- that was to get you back up and running. Since you're up and running, and you're now seeing other corrupted data, I would say that your best move is to get everything off that drive that you can, and then discard it. It's obviously had a serious malfunction of some kind.

To sulfuric acid, H2SO4,

some files are denied and some aren't. You know, it is very random.

To Pangloss, Are you really that sure that it is the problem of the harddrive?? Is it possible to assure that?? maybe with some kind of software?

btw, any explanation about denial of copying files??

thank alot

btw, any explanation about denial of copying files??
Yes. It's one of 2 things.

1) Windows protects certain files, so users on one computer cannot access another user's files due to Windows protection. Similarly using a 2nd version of windows doesn't remove this protection.

2) There's a way you can remove the protection of #1 and that is to share your HDD or a specific folder.

You say it is "random" so maybe in someplaces you are running into Windows protection and in other places parts of the HDD are shared and other parts are not.

Uh i just read the OP...BSOD....is one of 3.Its almost always memory though so check this first!!.HD failure (which usually starts intermittantly with corrupt sectors..before failure) and the third is virus related.Black screen of death is graphics card.

Ah just read post 13...you have it up and running and the original OS partition is showing corrupt files.If you can run the new Os on your other partition with no ill effects...then the original is definately infected(DONT COPY ANY FILES INTO YOUR NEW PARTITION or it will go the same way).Better would be to accept that the files are lost and do a full format of the original C partition,and a reinstall of OS.

let me know what your present status is and i will help you further.

thanks to all you guys helping me. I have learned.

To Newtonian, what do you mean the files are infected?? by what?

Any way, I have rescued successfully most of my files and reinstalled. I also run some tests on my hardware.

thanks for all the help